Bitcoin Forum
May 24, 2024, 05:38:06 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 3 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: New to Bitcoin - Need some advice  (Read 2999 times)
heroesjourney (OP)

Activity: 29
Merit: 1

View Profile
April 20, 2017, 09:10:05 PM

Hello,

I am new to bitcoin, I have managed to set up a wallet on blockchain and on coinbase.
I am also aware of bitaddress and how to upload my wallet to blockchain.

That said, can anyone explain to me the cheapest method of buying BTC?
Also, what is purpose of buying / saving BTC?

How do people go about trading BTC?

Should I be using  an online BTC wallet when buying & storing BTC and what one is best if so?

If anyone could give me an inspiring newbies crash course as to why i should be buying BTC and uses / purposes of it along with strategy and practical educational info I would very much appreciate it.

Thanks,
Hero
lady Royal

Activity: 720
Merit: 500

View Profile WWW
April 20, 2017, 09:16:38 PM

Hello,

Welcome to the best community of bitcoin on internet. Welcome to bitcointalk.org.

You have done the first step very well. You should select one wallet it will be easier for you to use instead of managing both.
You want to buy bitcoin so first I will ask you want to buy bitcoin with credit card/bank/paypal?
Saving bitcoins is actually a sort of investment but only buy if you think that bitcoin price will go up and you can sell it at better rates and have profit. Bitcoin price can come down anytime who knows!
There are many threads about trading of bitcoins/altcoins or you can simply search on google for that.

You should buy bitcoins for future saving. Its the best investment.
If you are a guy who sends money to other countries than this is one of the best ways because it has no fees, nothing at all.
It is anonymous also.  It can be used to buy stuff online. It's fast and reliable.

███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
■   .PRIVATE SALE is LIVE.   ■
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
Whitepaper   ■   Bounty   ■   Bitcointalk

███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
                        ███
                     ▄▄ ▀▀▀ ███
                     ██▀ ▄▄ ▀▀▀
                   ▄▄    █▀▀ ▄▄ ██
                   ▀▀ ▄█  ▄▄ ▀
                  ██  ▀ ▄ ▀
                  ▄▄ █▄ ▀▀
                  ▀▀  ▄ ▀
   ▄▄              ██ ▀ ▀
   ██▀               ▄ ▀
  ▄  ▄█         ▄ ▄   ▀
 ███  ▀ █▄ ▄▀ ▀▄  ▀  ▄ ██ ██
  ▀▀ █▄ ▄  ▄█ ▀ █▀  ▀ ▄ ▄▄  ▄█▄
███     ▀▀   ▄█▄       ▄ ▀ ▄ ▀ ▄
▀▀▀ ██ ██ ██  ▀         ▄▄ ▀▀ ▀██
                         ▀ ▄█  ▄▄
                        ▄█ ▀▀ ▀██
                        ▄ ▄█▄
                       ▀▀ ▀▀
                      ██
..Skynet..
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
Telegram   ■   Facebook   ■   Twitter   ■   Medium   ■   Reddit   ■   LinkedIn
.CREATING THE INTELLIGENT MACHINE ECONOMY.

███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
jaceefrost

Activity: 826
Merit: 1001

View Profile
April 20, 2017, 09:18:54 PM

Hello,

I am new to bitcoin, I have managed to set up a wallet on blockchain and on coinbase.

Should I be using  an online BTC wallet when i buy BTC and what one is best if so?

If anyone could give me an inspiring newbies crash course as to why i should be buying BTC and uses / purposes of it along with strategy and practical educational info I would very much appreciate it.

Thanks,
Hero
Answers to your questions can be read with the following threads that you can find here:
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?board=39.0

Educational.
how to earn: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=1629118.0 (contains useful links)
wallets: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=1631151.0 (comparison, types, security)

This thread almost has the same question as yours so you can find useful informations in here:
 https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=1770903.0
heroesjourney (OP)

Activity: 29
Merit: 1

View Profile
April 20, 2017, 09:42:35 PM

Thank you very much for your responses thus far, very much appreciated.
I have just a bank account with debit card, I have skrill also linked to same debit card.

Is debit card a weak way of buying btc? If so, what are the other methods generally used to buy btc from experienced btc users?
xypos

Activity: 532
Merit: 250

View Profile
April 20, 2017, 09:48:21 PM
Last edit: April 20, 2017, 11:32:06 PM by xypos

Hello,

Should I be using  an online BTC wallet when buying & storing BTC and what one is best if so?

Thanks,
Hero
You can choose many different ways to acquire some bitcoins, for example you can buy them directly from the people that have it, and living in the same city. A good site to conduct these sort of trades is localbitcoins.com

There is also a possibility to buy bitcoins through cryptocurrency exchange, but you need bank account for that, to have a chance to pay for bitcoins, unless you have money at paypal. If you have Paypal you are likely to have to submit verification.

Bitcoins ATMs are kind of expensive because they change the fee, the average is somewhere close to 7% so i dont recommend that.
vivabux

Activity: 516

MoonDeFi

View Profile
April 21, 2017, 01:58:40 AM

you should visit this website bitcoin.org , you will find all info you need

MOONDEFI

Powered by,
vips

Activity: 14
Merit: 0

View Profile
April 21, 2017, 05:19:53 AM

If you verify your identity with all the methods on coin base and add a credit card you will have instant btc purchases for 1% fee up to a pretty good limit.

Maheshkumar_Hrangkhawl

Activity: 600
Merit: 256

View Profile
April 21, 2017, 06:23:10 AM

The Bitcoin wikipedia is also another useful site:

https://en.bitcoin.it/wiki/Main_Page

There is a lot of information on that site, and the best thing is that they update the information regularly.
Tyrantt

Activity: 1022
Merit: 564

Need some spare btc for a new PC

View Profile
April 21, 2017, 08:27:28 AM

Hello,

Thanks,
Hero

- the cheapest.. I wouldn't know but the best might be from localbitcoins website or here on the forum maybe with an escrow.
Well since bitcoin is expected to rise in price by far above 200% by the end of the year (just a speculation), so if you buy it now for 1.2k$ and hold it for a few years, you'll get a huge profit and that's why people are mostly buying and holding btc now.

I've been using blockchian.info wallet ever since I've got into bitcoin and that was a few years back and I've never had any problems with that wallet whatsoever, tho I'm trading with lower amounts like up to 20$ but if you'll be doing with some greater amounts, I'd suggest you to get a desktop wallet (online  wallets can be just as secure if you take care of its security).

Well that's mostly simple logic like buy for low, hold, sell for a higher price.

Need some spare btc for a new PC that can at least run Adobe Dreamweaver.

BTC - 19qm3kH4MZELkefEb55HCe4Y5jgRRLCQmn ♦♦♦ ETH - 0xd71ACd8781d66393eBfc3Acd65B224e97Ae1952D
timerland

Activity: 1526
Merit: 596

View Profile
April 22, 2017, 10:04:32 AM

I have just a bank account with debit card, I have skrill also linked to same debit card.

Is debit card a weak way of buying btc? If so, what are the other methods generally used to buy btc from experienced btc users?
To be honest, I always thought that debit card is not a good way to obtain any bitcoins, you need to pay such a high commision that im avoiding buying BTC with that option.

I recommend you just using your bank account, and using normal bank transfer to the website which will convert the money to bitcoin.
If you are able to, you may also use dotpay if the company from which u buy btc has the agreement with them.

Dont use ATMs too, the fee on them is around 7% to buy even some btcs!

Smiley
Snorek
Legendary

Activity: 1400
Merit: 1001

View Profile
April 22, 2017, 10:46:30 AM

Hello,

Even though there weren't any major problems (like hack and BTC theft) with those wallet operators (blockchain.info might be a little glitchy sometimes)
To achieve full security it is advised to not store your Bitcoin online, especially not big amount.

I can tell you which methods are definietly not good. Using PayPal, Debit/Credit cards sometimes Bitcoin ATMs is not advised.
The fees might be too much to handle even in some cases up to 20%. Your best bet is to use standard bitcoin exchange.
Be wary that there is no one universal price of BTC and price might be slightly different, depending on the exchange.

Look up price charts of BTC. See how bitcoin price is constantly growing?
Bitcoin limited token supply creates situation where your coins will be worth slightly more over time.
Buying and holding BTC to sell/buy something with it in the future is the main reason people own BTC.
xIIImaL
Legendary

Activity: 1372
Merit: 1005

View Profile
April 22, 2017, 10:54:36 AM

To be honest, I always thought that debit card is not a good way to obtain any bitcoins, you need to pay such a high commision that im avoiding buying BTC with that option.

I recommend you just using your bank account, and using normal bank transfer to the website which will convert the money to bitcoin.
If you are able to, you may also use dotpay if the company from which u buy btc has the agreement with them.

Dont use ATMs too, the fee on them is around 7% to buy even some btcs!

You mean to exchange the bitcoins right instead to getting the Bitcoin debit card. Actually you have said correct. If we own the bitcoin debit card, we need to pay charge monthly handling fees. Some the debit card companies are charging to use the card in the ATM. Those would you more the amount you loose in exchanging fee. If he has enough money waste to give the fees. I can request for donation for my business;)
tigershark

Activity: 223
Merit: 100

View Profile
April 22, 2017, 04:37:52 PM

Hello,

Thanks,
Hero

If you want to just buy bitcoins, you can use Coinbase or localbitcoins. For trading, try to find an exchange that meets your trading needs and try out some trades with small amounts.
Velkro
Legendary

Activity: 2296
Merit: 1014

View Profile
April 22, 2017, 10:00:47 PM

Cheapest buying... just buy on exchange that has lowest price (and easy payment in and out options).
Purpose is various for various people. Mostly its for investing purpose, as store of value or as currency.
cazza

Activity: 35

View Profile
April 22, 2017, 10:30:55 PM

Hello,

Thanks,
Hero

Remember to factor the exchange rate being offered when buying or selling (this can vary by provider), in addition to the trading fees - it could make a big difference.  So, cheapest does not just mean look at the fees involved... look at the exchange rate offered too. 
btcdevil
Legendary

Activity: 1302
Merit: 1027

View Profile
April 22, 2017, 10:49:33 PM

First i will recommend you to not use web wallet to store your bitcoin as it is not safe as you are not in control of your wallet and if anything happens to the site all your bitcoins will be lost. So better go for desktop wallet like electrum which is very easy to use it. You just have to save your passphrase of electrum wallet when you created so when ever you want you can reconstruct the old wallet with the help of passphrase but warning if you lost the passphrase then it will become difficult to recover the wallet.

For trading in bitcoins or buying bitcoin for longterm investment then you can go with localbitcoins.com site which is supporting the all country users who are dealing with bank transfer which is more safe better then using debit or credit card.
cazza

Activity: 35

View Profile
April 29, 2017, 11:30:57 PM

Thank you so much guys!  Loads of valuable advice - Thank you!  Smiley  

I'm starting to piece it all together, I think!  
Mvaporis1961

Activity: 364

View Profile
May 12, 2017, 07:44:15 AM

Hello,

Thanks,
Hero

You can earn Bitcoin in different ways ranging from high pay to low pay and also from high risk to risk so better be wise and learn the essentials of Bitcoin before proceeding to a riskier environment.
Smolko

Activity: 434

View Profile
May 12, 2017, 11:33:57 AM

Bitstamp is the way to exchange your fiat into BTC.

╓╥ ,╦╣▌"       ,╔╗▄▄▄▓▓▓▒▄▄╦╗,       ╙╫▌╗  ╔,
        ╔█Hj╫╝`     ╓▄▓██▓╨▓█▓Ü█Ñ`║█▓███▓▄w     ╙╝▀H╙█H
     ,φ ╣M ╓╓╥w  ,╗▓███████Å╨╙╨█▀╙╨▓████████▄,  ╓╥w, ╙Ñ ╗
     ╫█  ╝╝╩╨` ,▄██████▌░╣Ñ    ▓M `▀▓█▒░╚▀▓███▓. "╙╝╝M  █▒
  ╔╗ ║M,╗▄╫▀" ╔▓█████▓╦╬▄█▄╦╦╦╗█▌╦▄▓████▄▄▓█████╗ ╙╝╫▄╗,╙M ╗m
  ╠█H  "╓╥   ╔▓█▓██M    ▓▀     ▓Ñ║████████████╨╩▓▄   ╥░"  ╔█M
   ▀M╓╬▓▀`   ╫ÑÑ ╟▌     ▓H     ▓Ñ╫█████████████▄╙▓H  `▀▓▄ ╟▀
j▓╗  ``╓╦   ]▓w╫▓▓▌╓╓╓╓╔█╦╓╓╓╓╓▓▄╓╫████████████▓╦▓H  :╗w``  ╔▓
 ╙▓N ╔▓▌"   "▓╨``╫█▌Ö░`╙█░````"█Ñ`````▓▌"▓█████╨"▓H   ╙▀▓╦ ╬▓╨
 ╗╦` ``╓▄M   ╫Ñ  ╚████▓▄█H     ▓M     ▓Ñ ,████▌ ╔▓`  j▄,`` `╔╦
 ╙▓▓. ╔█▌    ╙▓φ.]▓███████▄▄╗.,▓N....╔▓░.╟███▓`,╣M    ╣█U ╓▓▓╛
   ╙M Φ╨╔▓H   ╙▓▓╨╜████████▓╨╙╙█▀╙╙╙╙▓▓╨╙╜██▀╙╣█M   j▓╕╙▀ ╨╨`
 ╫▄╦,  :▓█`    `╝Φw╙╣▓████▌`   ▓M   ╔▓`  ╓▓M,▄▌`    `█▓   ╓╦▄M
  ╙▀▓▌.j▓` ╗U    `╝╫▄▓███▓▓▄╥╥╥█▄╥╥╔▓▄╥╥╬█▄╬▀`    ║▄ ╙▓ ╔╣▓▀"
    ╓,,   j█▌ ╓,    `╝▀██▓▄╫▓░`▓M,╫▓Ü╫██▓▀"`   ╓, ╣█m   ,,╓
    ╙▀██▄, ▓M ╫█N ╦,    `"╙╝▀▀▀▀▀▀▀Å╨""    ╔╗ ╔█▒ ╚▓ ╓▄▓█▀"
       `""    ╙█▒ ╣█U ║▄,             ╓▄H ╔█▌ ╫█M    ""`
       ╚╫▓█▓▄▄,"` ╙█▌ ║█▓            ,▓█M ▓█M "`╓╗▄▓█▓▌H
         ``"╙╙"    ╙╨  ╣█H     Φm    ╚█▌  ╨`    ╙╙╙"``
           '╩▀▓▓▓▀M     "   "Φ▓██ΦM   "    '╩▀▓▓▓▀╩
                ╓▄▄▓██▓M     ╔▀╩▀N     ╚▓██▓▓▄,
                """"`                     `""""
XinFin

Twitter LinkedIn
━━  Telegram  ━━
Youtube    Reddit
rohn

Activity: 124
Merit: 10

View Profile
May 15, 2017, 09:05:19 AM

Hello
Newbie here, i just want to thank you guys for welcoming us here in bitcointalk.
Your responses are very helpful to us. We hope that you guys would guide us and give us some tips regarding the campaigns that we are about to join. Thank you again. More power!
Pages: [1] 2 3 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: