Bitcoin Forum
May 30, 2024, 02:29:31 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Poll
Question: Do you think Bitcoin is a store of value, or a payment system?
Store of value
Payment system
Neither
Both
It depends

Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Is Bitcoin digital gold or digital cash?  (Read 11980 times)
robocop3

Activity: 375
Merit: 250

View Profile
April 28, 2017, 07:56:01 AM

BTC is a combination of these two phenomena. This is a coin and payment system. But now I use more bitcoin for investment. I buy bitcoins and just hold them, then to sell more expensive
DoublerHunter

Activity: 2590
Merit: 644

View Profile
April 28, 2017, 08:47:25 AM

BTC is a combination of these two phenomena. This is a coin and payment system. But now I use more bitcoin for investment. I buy bitcoins and just hold them, then to sell more expensive
Yes bitcoin is a combination because you can use it to buy things and pay bills online or you can hold it just like gold that just after a year you can get at least doubled profit from your investment which is good for people who are tired of risky investments that are available in the market unlike in bitcoin that they can have a peace of mind and up to 90% assurance that they will get profit if they just have patience and keep their coins for long term.
dinofelis

Activity: 770
Merit: 629

View Profile
April 28, 2017, 08:51:49 AM

I'm more and more convinced that bitcoin is nor digital gold, and certainly not digital cash, but is rather like a digital naked derivative speculative asset.
dinofelis

Activity: 770
Merit: 629

View Profile
April 28, 2017, 08:52:59 AM

That's what I mean.  Note that if the majority of bitcoin buyers do this, they play a huge greater-fool game.  The question is what will those holders do when they run out of greater fools ?
poplolnman
Legendary

Activity: 1442
Merit: 1008

View Profile
April 28, 2017, 10:06:14 AM

That's what I mean.  Note that if the majority of bitcoin buyers do this, they play a huge greater-fool game.  The question is what will those holders do when they run out of greater fools ?

pretty clear when the bitcoin in up trends people used it as investment , they quite confident that the charts bullish and could drive to higher price . but sometimes it's not run as planned , and they just suffering lost. better to use it in daily basis and help bitcoin grow universally by spend it as digital money. it's important too to keep considering bitcoin as digital gold or something.

I'm in 400,000 euros debt , dont help me , i rather die
kidoseagle0312

Activity: 1092
Merit: 500

View Profile
April 28, 2017, 02:46:39 PM

Right now Bitcoin is not a Gold, It is presently used known as digital currency /virtual currency. Which is commonly used for online payment and can also be use for dong trade in the market, due it has the value that makes the company attracted by it features and the simple usage of bitcoin. Therefore, bitcoin is already better and greater than Gold.
d5000
Legendary

Activity: 3934
Merit: 6396

Decentralization Maximalist

View Profile
April 28, 2017, 04:28:19 PM

I'm more and more convinced that bitcoin is nor digital gold, and certainly not digital cash, but is rather like a digital naked derivative speculative asset.

That is the present situation, yes. But we can talk about utopias, or not? Wink

Your observation that "hodling" is essentially a greater-fools game is totally right. But it is not mandatory that this will stay the same forever. The reason is that Bitcoin, or cryptocurrencies in general, do(es) have some advantages with respect to traditional international money transmitting systems.

So companies making profits of these advantages can extract value from the Bitcoin ecosystem without needing to engage in the greater-fools-game ("hodling"). They simply extract their profits from their customers, like companies do in the traditional fiat-based economy.

There will be a point in the future where Bitcoin hodlers would have to understand that if they want to continue to make profits they must invest in these companies, not only in Bitcoin tokens, because the Bitcoin price cannot grow in an infinite manner. If all people of the world are invested in BTC, then we have reached this "price cap".

█▀▀▀

█▄▄▄
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
e
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
█████████████
████████████▄███
██▐███████▄█████▀
█████████▄████▀
███▐████▄███▀
████▐██████▀
█████▀█████
███████████▄
████████████▄
██▄█████▀█████▄
▄█████████▀█████▀
███████████▀██▀
████▀█████████
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
c.h.
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
▀▀▀█

▄▄▄█
▄██████▄▄▄
█████████████▄▄
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███░░█████████
███▌▐█████████
█████████████
███████████▀
██████████▀
████████▀
▀██▀▀
ahmedjamal1998

Activity: 714
Merit: 537

View Profile WWW
April 28, 2017, 04:31:38 PM

It can be considered as both.

Gold is used as a store of value and its price differs from time to time. This complies with bitcoins.
Cash is used to pay for goods/services. Bitcoins are used to do that as well.

So basically it's both of them at the same time and it's some futuristic technology Cheesy
Shady

Activity: 294
Merit: 100

Life is a game, you either play it or get played.

View Profile
April 28, 2017, 04:58:31 PM

I have to say that since Bitcoin is a payment system simply because it can be used to purchase goods. If it were like gold, nobody would be able to use it outside of exchange (selling to a vault, mint etc before it can be spent.)

The only reasons for it being considered a store of value is because it's brand new with booming potential waiting to be used alongside price increases.

Kevin77
Legendary

Activity: 1652
Merit: 1057

View Profile
April 28, 2017, 06:45:42 PM

Gold is used as a store of value and its price differs from time to time. This complies with bitcoins.
Cash is used to pay for goods/services. Bitcoins are used to do that as well.

So basically it's both of them at the same time and it's some futuristic technology Cheesy
But gold has lost its application of being a medium of exchange long time before itself but still gold is the most preferred store of value. Similarly bitcoin is now being used for both store of value and for medium of exchange.

Here are all just focused on digital based application of bitcoins but bitcoin can have physical format too hence it is not just digital based asset. It is a type of cash and a variation of gold still it is available in both digital and physical format.
szpalata

Activity: 686
Merit: 253

View Profile
April 28, 2017, 06:47:21 PM

I think Bitcoin is both digital cash and digital gold because it has attributes of both currency and gold(a commodity ). This makes it really difficult to choose one over the other because it's actually both in my opinion.
stwbitcoin

Activity: 2
Merit: 0

View Profile
May 01, 2017, 03:50:54 PM
Last edit: May 02, 2017, 08:21:54 PM by stwbitcoin

Just like gold, bitcoin can be used as both a store of value and as cash. However, until the speed of transactions is increased dynamically and the increase in unanimity is assured, bitcoin will not become dominant coin of choice for John Q Public. For those reasons, I believe that bitcoin will, because of it's network effect, continue to be the dominant coin of choice for investors, those who are new to cryptocurrency and those who want to pay for high value items. Until bitcoin becomes more like Dash or Litecoin, it will NOT become the coin the public uses the most in day to day business. To me that's great. I like the idea that there will be more than one MONEY that is used all over the planet. UNTIL bitcoin or some other coin becomes the BASE or Reserve Currency to which all others are valued against, NO cryptocurrency will replace FIAT or government issued currency. Mark my words; the central banks will issue there own digital currency. Once that happens, all cryptocurrencies will then have a fight to become the dominant money on the planet. As far as gold vs cash, a fully developed cryptocurrency has the potential to become used as both, but we are a long way from that happening. IMHO
Captimiz

Activity: 130

Hoqu.io – Decentralized Affiliate platform

View Profile
May 01, 2017, 03:56:37 PM

Both, but far less table than gold.

krisnt80

Activity: 729
Merit: 500

View Profile
May 01, 2017, 04:00:47 PM

For me i do consider both, since i can use bitcoin to store my fiat, as well i can exchange it anytime into fiat money, soo for me bitcoin is both, even with others coins around bitcoin still a powerful and interesting investment option.
J9901

Activity: 490
Merit: 250

View Profile
May 01, 2017, 04:15:13 PM

For me i do consider both, since i can use bitcoin to store my fiat, as well i can exchange it anytime into fiat money, soo for me bitcoin is both, even with others coins around bitcoin still a powerful and interesting investment option.

Yes it can be considered as both and if you save it for a long term then it can be a digital gold for you and can give you best returns in compare to gold and its already an digital cash as we are using it for buying things at a moment.
jonald_fyookball
Legendary

Activity: 1302
Merit: 1004

Core dev leaves me neg feedback #abuse #political

View Profile
May 01, 2017, 09:57:30 PM

so many shit posts so little time

tleilaxu_eyes

Activity: 145

View Profile
May 02, 2017, 03:01:47 AM

Bitcoin isn't just gold, it's gold^2. Finite supply that appreciates over time. It's actually a diminishing supply once you take into account the lost wallets.

Look into the eyes.
Mirconome

Activity: 171

View Profile
May 02, 2017, 05:52:30 AM

Bitcoin isn't just gold, it's gold^2. Finite supply that appreciates over time. It's actually a diminishing supply once you take into account the lost wallets.
The best answer to this question is very simple. I will feel confident if I have gold in my hands, because Bitcoin is a virtual currency and, with small changes in policy regarding crypto currency, the user can lose everything.
crazyivan
Legendary

Activity: 1652
Merit: 1007

DMD Diamond Making Money 4+ years! Join us!

View Profile
May 02, 2017, 06:29:11 AM

I always see BTC performing one of the most important functions of money, to be store of value over time. Exactly like gold but better, let s say gold 2.0.
In addition, one can consider BTC being an investment vehicle as well, it s easy to invest and differentiate your investments into various projects.

I really do not think BTC will ever become classic currency, this is something other faster and more developed alts might become.

For security, your account has been locked. Email acctcomp15@theymos.e4ward.com
Carlsen

Activity: 910
Merit: 501

View Profile
May 02, 2017, 06:33:21 AM

I think bitcoin was built with the intention to be a payment system.
Maybe there was even the thought that it could increase its worth over time, but surely it was not meant to develope so quickly.
Right now, i see bitcoin to be both, payment and investment.
But the investment aspect is growing more and more.
If that is really a good thing, we will have to wait and see.

It's me!!!
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: