Bitcoin Forum
June 26, 2024, 08:18:09 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Big Block support at 50%  (Read 4212 times)
AngryDwarf

Activity: 476
Merit: 501

View Profile
April 22, 2017, 11:07:55 PM

SPV wallets for normal users.

3rd party to trust ?
What if 3rd party will be corrupted and want move with changes that you don't want - like leave 21m coin hard limit to endless reward ? When you lose ability to run onw node then BTC won't be p2p currency and won't have many resistance that it have now.
Running own node when you have a lot $$$ in BTC is very important.

If you have a lot of BTC, you can afford to run your own node.

Scaling and transaction rate: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=532.msg6306#msg6306
Do not allow demand to exceed capacity. Do not allow mempools to forget transactions. Relay all transactions. Eventually confirm all transactions.
jonald_fyookball
Legendary

Activity: 1302
Merit: 1004

Core dev leaves me neg feedback #abuse #political

View Profile
April 23, 2017, 12:17:23 AM

Also, I call bullshit. People want Bitcoin because of it's unique properties which are possible thanks to decentralization. Who gives a fuck about sending a few micro transactions for free when governments worldwide are preventing people from using (or even continuing to own) their own fucking money?

You, like all of the core supporters, keep conveniently ignoring decentralization threats related to forcing users off the main chain, and only focus on node cost.  I understand you hold the position of 'keep the coffee money off-chain and lets use the main chain for big stuff', but what good is having sound money if you can only use it for big stuff and not for every day things?   Why should I need anyone's permission to transact? There's also huge privacy concerns with allowing the government to see all of your small transactions, as well as the taint issues for your bigger purchases even if done on chain. 

I say there doesn't have to be this false dichotomy.  Bitcoin can handle everything on chain.  I would like to see your kitchen table math on why you think 'datacenters' are going to be needed any time soon, even for much larger blocks.

Most importantly,  in the long run I don't think the security model will work well with only large transactions being done on chain.  There won't be enough fee revenue, security will drop, and people will simply use other coins that offer both high security and low fees.

pinkflower

Activity: 868
Merit: 259

View Profile
April 23, 2017, 07:59:28 AM

Holliday, no one believes that shit. 99% of the people who have bought since the limit was put in place don't know anything about any of the code. They didn't "buy into" a block limit at all. What they did buy into was practically free transactions, which they don't have now that the blocks are full.

Well, then they got conned. Caveat emptor!

Also, I call bullshit. People want Bitcoin because of it's unique properties which are possible thanks to decentralization. Who gives a fuck about sending a few micro transactions for free when governments worldwide are preventing people from using (or even continuing to own) their own fucking money?

I call bullshit too about the comment that people want BTC because of its unique properties because of decentralization. People want BTC because they think that it could make them very rich just like the early investors of 2010 - 2012. Sell them a scamcoin that could make them rich and they all line up and buy them.
Carlton Banks
Legendary

Activity: 3430
Merit: 3074

View Profile
April 23, 2017, 08:49:54 AM
Last edit: April 23, 2017, 10:11:16 AM by Carlton Banks

You, like all of the core supporters, keep conveniently ignoring decentralization threats related to forcing users off the main chain, and only focus on node cost.  I understand you hold the position of 'keep the coffee money off-chain and lets use the main chain for big stuff', but what good is having sound money if you can only use it for big stuff and not for every day things?   Why should I need anyone's permission to transact? There's also huge privacy concerns with allowing the government to see all of your small transactions, as well as the taint issues for your bigger purchases even if done on chain.  

You're a disgraceful liar jonald

There is no aspect of the Lightning network (i.e. for quick everyday cups of coffee) that will be either permitted by nodes or overseen by any government, you must be out of your mind to make such false assertions.

The proof is very easy to find, check out this thread: WORKING Lightning Node Network (LNN) on TESTNET, feel free to join.

Notice how it says "feel free to join". That's because there is no permission, or oversight, it's actually more private than on-chain transactions, as only the channel participants know about the transactions. You know how this works, you were even discussing the technical details of Lightning a week or two ago, you cannot possibly pretend now that you don't understand what you knew perfectly well only a week ago, unless you're getting dementia. You're desperate, and it shows rather badly.

I say there doesn't have to be this false dichotomy.  Bitcoin can handle everything on chain.  I would like to see your kitchen table math on why you think 'datacenters' are going to be needed any time soon, even for much larger blocks.

Most importantly,  in the long run I don't think the security model will work well with only large transactions being done on chain.  There won't be enough fee revenue, security will drop, and people will simply use other coins that offer both high security and low fees.

Where is your kitchen table math for these unproven assertions? Considering you're just straight making things up in your previous diatribe about Lightning, I don't see why anyone should take your unbacked assertions about math or logic even faintly seriously

Vires in numeris
CyberKuro

Activity: 798
Merit: 506

View Profile
April 23, 2017, 09:41:51 AM

https://coin.dance/blocks

Bitcoin Unlimited -  49.3%
SegWit  -                34.0%
8 MB Blocks  -         0.7%
BIP 100  -               1.4%

Bitcoin is going to the moon once we start mining bigger blocks!! The community has demanded it and here we are!

When I take a look, just now and it shows ;
Bitcoin Unlimited -  40.4%
SegWit            -        34.5%
8 MB Blocks  -         5.1%
BIP 100.         -         2.9%
Its constantly changing, and I doubt we even could get any conclusion, its endless consensus or endless debates with each other.
We will stick to current bitcoin nodes/codes with 1Mb blocksize and it seems won't change any time soon.
AngryDwarf

View Profile
April 23, 2017, 09:47:33 AM

Considering BitClub BU's coinbase string contains 'love gregs' and 'loves core', and the fact that f2pool's owner wears flip flops, I wouldn't get to excited until there is a clear majority either way.

Scaling and transaction rate: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=532.msg6306#msg6306
Do not allow demand to exceed capacity. Do not allow mempools to forget transactions. Relay all transactions. Eventually confirm all transactions.
Labumi

Activity: 756
Merit: 500

View Profile
April 23, 2017, 09:50:52 AM

Holliday, no one believes that shit. 99% of the people who have bought since the limit was put in place don't know anything about any of the code. They didn't "buy into" a block limit at all. What they did buy into was practically free transactions, which they don't have now that the blocks are full.

Well, then they got conned. Caveat emptor!

I call bullshit too about the comment that people want BTC because of its unique properties because of decentralization. People want BTC because they think that it could make them very rich just like the early investors of 2010 - 2012. Sell them a scamcoin that could make them rich and they all line up and buy them.

Hmm, excellence is indeed derived from profits bitcoin is given. How does a person interested in using bitcoin when looking at the price could soar without a clear schedule ..? / . In addition many people interested because it is a fun investment bitcoin, because with only buy when prices are low and save it then sell it when the high price of those with patience will get many advantages. In addition all transactions that exist therein are not getting a high enough fee compare to the bank fee is quite high and it also doesn't provide a load to the account owner (bitcoin) to pay

pinkflower

View Profile
April 25, 2017, 08:14:55 AM

Whats the latest news on this? If the big blocks support are really at 50% and growing then everyone should be starting to get worried. But everyone is calm as if the hard fork will not happen. Should we supposed to be worried by this?
megashira1
Legendary

Activity: 1146
Merit: 1000

View Profile
April 25, 2017, 05:47:39 PM

Whats the latest news on this? If the big blocks support are really at 50% and growing then everyone should be starting to get worried. But everyone is calm as if the hard fork will not happen. Should we supposed to be worried by this?

It will take another 8 months before the community realizes big blocks are needed and a hard fork is necessary. However, at this time a hard fork wont be as contentious as BU is/was and the market will only dip slightly before skyrocketing once people realize it was a success.

cryptoanarchist (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1120
Merit: 1003

View Profile
April 25, 2017, 06:31:53 PM

It will take another 8 months before the community realizes big blocks are needed and a hard fork is necessary. However, at this time a hard fork wont be as contentious as BU is/was and the market will only dip slightly before skyrocketing once people realize it was a success.

Why 8 months?

I'm grumpy!!
megashira1
Legendary

Activity: 1146
Merit: 1000

View Profile
April 26, 2017, 03:00:13 AM

Why 8 months?

It will require time and evidence of Bitcoin losing market share/sentiment for people to realize the importance of bigger blocks for the long term success of Bitcoin. Transactions will become even slower, fees even higher and Bitcoin will be sitting on the wayside while other projects seemingly gain more traction and support with regards to solving scaling. I foresee a certain project coming along in the crypto-landscape essentially solving this whole scaling debacle and causing a serious threat to Bitcoin. However, this threat will be the push Bitcoin needs for it to get out of its death-spin stalemate.

7788bitcoin
Legendary

Activity: 2282
Merit: 1023

View Profile
April 26, 2017, 03:53:48 AM

I think everyone is hoping for a larger capacity, and bigger block is one of the most direct ways of doing it.

Segwit activation will not lead to bigger blocks but more efficient blocks.
pinkflower

View Profile
April 26, 2017, 07:53:48 AM

Why 8 months?

It will require time and evidence of Bitcoin losing market share/sentiment for people to realize the importance of bigger blocks for the long term success of Bitcoin. Transactions will become even slower, fees even higher and Bitcoin will be sitting on the wayside while other projects seemingly gain more traction and support with regards to solving scaling. I foresee a certain project coming along in the crypto-landscape essentially solving this whole scaling debacle and causing a serious threat to Bitcoin. However, this threat will be the push Bitcoin needs for it to get out of its death-spin stalemate.

What about Segwit and LN as a scaling solution? Can you explain why its considered an inferior solution to the problem by the supporters of BU?

For a Lisk and Xaurum supporter you know a lot and have concern on BTC. Dont those ponzis bother you?
AngryDwarf

View Profile
April 26, 2017, 08:03:43 AM

Bigger block support and BU's mechanism to achieve this are not synonymous.

Amph
Legendary

Activity: 3206
Merit: 1069

View Profile
April 26, 2017, 08:07:42 AM

it's not up to the community to realized that, vote that are not from miners don't count anything, it's up to the miners, and what they are forced to choose form external entity that are relevant like exchange and big merchants

and why you think hard fork is necessary when we have segwit that does the job better without hard forking anything? mienrs are not against segwit, form what i have understood they ar emore against LN that would happen with segwit
aTriz

Activity: 1232
Merit: 683

Tontogether | Save Smart & Win Big

View Profile
April 26, 2017, 08:09:51 AM

it's big blocks for today only. let's review it again if it stays up there for a solid week or two. i really don't understand why the 8mb blockers are still bothering.
That makes sense for me, I cannot see the point in supporting 8 MB blocks as a miner, if even less than 1% of total mining power is standing behind this solution.

The group of people that is doing that, could have been support one of the options that will most likely happen, from my perspective the better choice would be SegWit than the Bitcoin Unlimited.

In fact, I agree with that there is really no point in aggresive approach on the people who have chosen the other way, we should tolerate the rest of community and use persuading skills instead of building the roadblocks for the other miners.

Xester

Activity: 994
Merit: 544

View Profile
April 26, 2017, 08:15:37 AM

Bitcoin is going to the moon once we start mining bigger blocks!! The community has demanded it and here we are!

I guess even if Bitcoin will start to activate if it reaches 50% consensus the result will be the same since the exchanges have already declared that if in case of the split they will support the cor developers. The possibility of bitcoins value reaching to the moon is when BU and Core will not split but rather complement each other. The community is tired of bad news and we hope for a solution.
housebtc

Activity: 588
Merit: 252

View Profile
April 26, 2017, 08:25:48 AM

The figure is just a small representative sample of the community, miners don't want SW and have the monopoly of hash power. I think it is better for them to fork the chain and move on. Since most exchanges have categorise it has an Altcoin. I
cryptoanarchist (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1120
Merit: 1003

View Profile
April 26, 2017, 02:37:36 PM

I guess even if Bitcoin will start to activate if it reaches 50% consensus the result will be the same since the exchanges have already declared that if in case of the split they will support the cor developers. The possibility of bitcoins value reaching to the moon is when BU and Core will not split but rather complement each other. The community is tired of bad news and we hope for a solution.

Once big blocks crosses 50%, you're going to see miners jumping the AXA/Blockstream ship. No fork, just Core fading into irrelevancy.

I'm grumpy!!
pinkflower

View Profile
April 27, 2017, 07:25:42 AM

Bitcoin Unlimited -  49.3%
SegWit  -                34.0%
8 MB Blocks  -         0.7%
BIP 100  -               1.4%

Then this whole debacle will become one messy affair. If the exchanges list BU as the altcoin and the miners attack the BTC chain and kill it. What will happen now? Are we finally seeing the death of BTC, as we know it, coming?
Pages: « 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: