Bitcoin Forum
May 05, 2024, 12:39:29 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Tether: not even a scam  (Read 31043 times)
fistfullofbtc

Activity: 210
Merit: 100

View Profile
April 23, 2017, 07:30:22 PM

well it isn't truly fungible at the mo but i am sure they will inject capital, probably get polo to give some of the money it makes off masterstrokes and such.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Once a transaction has 6 confirmations, it is extremely unlikely that an attacker without at least 50% of the network's computation power would be able to reverse it.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
monsanto
Legendary

Activity: 1241
Merit: 1005

..like bright metal on a sullen ground.

View Profile
April 23, 2017, 07:35:53 PM

It's strange because on Polo they specifically say it is USDT, but on bitfinex for the most part it is presented as actual USD. Do they have the same policy if tether goes kaput? Huh
fistfullofbtc

Activity: 210

View Profile
April 23, 2017, 07:40:43 PM

it won't go kaput overnight just devalue which would mess up a lot of stuff but probably increase eth and btc price. when i first noticed it i thought it was USD. it is purely used as as a selling piece to people as USD are known the world over, but also to keep the financial regulators off there backs. if it failed it would lead to regulation, therefore the exchanges will work this out, but like i said they should stick to btc and eth, but i guess there is a lot of money made using it.

a bank run would kill it overnight mind.

york780

Activity: 392
Merit: 250

View Profile
April 23, 2017, 08:31:41 PM

RIP
European Central Bank
Legendary

Activity: 1288
Merit: 1087

View Profile
April 23, 2017, 08:40:46 PM

that's implying it's fractional reserve. it may be a shit show, but i really don't think it would've gotten anywhere if it couldn't meet all of its obligations.
york780

View Profile
April 23, 2017, 08:42:02 PM

that's implying it's fractional reserve. it may be a shit show, but i really don't think it would've gotten anywhere if it couldn't meet all of its obligations.

How you doing man?
Seems that stable Tether got rekt. Maybe it will moon next year  Roll Eyes
vlom
Legendary

Activity: 1498
Merit: 1113

View Profile
April 23, 2017, 09:10:43 PM

i took the loss and changed my USDT to USD @kraken.
york780

View Profile
April 23, 2017, 09:12:19 PM

i took the loss and changed my USDT to USD @kraken.

Good job, looks like you just changed worthless shit to USD  Smiley
cryptonia

Activity: 340

View Profile
April 24, 2017, 12:32:05 AM

You can't really expect them to offer all sorts of guarantees

if they take a large amount of my dollars then you can bet your ass i expect all sorts of guarantees. i'm not handing them over to get some tokens that might be worth something if they feel like it.
But you aren't using their service?
European Central Bank
Legendary

Activity: 1288
Merit: 1087

View Profile
April 24, 2017, 12:42:07 AM

hell no and i never would. what they're offering isn't reassuring enough. bitfinex are involved and they've always had a serious lack of transparency. this is no different.
cryptonia

Activity: 340

View Profile
April 24, 2017, 03:45:47 AM

hell no and i never would. what they're offering isn't reassuring enough. bitfinex are involved and they've always had a serious lack of transparency. this is no different.

I guess my point was that if they offered to convert Tether into cash it would be complicated and if for some reason they could not (and there could be legit ones) people would complain.

I was always very wary because they claimed to be transparent and audited but there was zero evidence that they were from what I could see. So that was a red flag.

But why did Poloniex and others get involved and allow them to list?
ROT13

Activity: 169

View Profile
April 24, 2017, 05:03:23 AM

Krakens definitely trying to push USDT over the edge by opening margin trading.  

My 5c is that this will all workout fine for Tether in the end and the usual bunch of people with inside info will have made some good money out another creative interpretation of the latest money making trend in crypto land- over dramatise the latest news (block size debate, exchange banking issues), get cointelegraph etc to play along, wait for the weak hands to panic, collect their crypto at bargain prices.
monsanto
Legendary

Activity: 1241
Merit: 1005

..like bright metal on a sullen ground.

View Profile
April 24, 2017, 06:07:40 AM
Last edit: April 24, 2017, 06:20:05 AM by monsanto

My 5c is that this will all workout fine for Tether in the end and the usual bunch of people with inside info will have made some good money out another creative interpretation of the latest money making trend in crypto land- over dramatise the latest news (block size debate, exchange banking issues), get cointelegraph etc to play along, wait for the weak hands to panic, collect their crypto at bargain prices.

In terms of the margin trading, if Tether is actually in trouble, that could help shore it up IMO.  As for what is behind some of the strange responses I've seen on reddit from a Tether dev -- I have had similar thoughts as yours concerning the FUD manipulation being employed.  I can only think of three reasons to make the statements I saw: either (1) Tether's really aren't backed up fully by reserve USD or (2) they are backed up by reserve USD, they just want to create enough uncertainty so they'll be a temporary Tether price drop that they can profit off... OR finally (3) Tether is fully backed by USD but they can't fully say they have the reserves because by making statements like that they could be exposing themselves to libertydollar type prosecution. I'm hoping it's #3, or at worst some of 2 and 3.
udecker

Activity: 142
Merit: 252

View Profile
May 01, 2017, 03:22:01 PM

In terms of the margin trading, if Tether is actually in trouble, that could help shore it up IMO.  As for what is behind some of the strange responses I've seen on reddit from a Tether dev -- I have had similar thoughts as yours concerning the FUD manipulation being employed.  I can only think of three reasons to make the statements I saw: either (1) Tether's really aren't backed up fully by reserve USD or (2) they are backed up by reserve USD, they just want to create enough uncertainty so they'll be a temporary Tether price drop that they can profit off... OR finally (3) Tether is fully backed by USD but they can't fully say they have the reserves because by making statements like that they could be exposing themselves to libertydollar type prosecution. I'm hoping it's #3, or at worst some of 2 and 3.

Astute observations.  It’s not #1 and while #2 would be evil-genius clever, it’s not the issue either.  (Wire troubles mean neither Tether nor Bitfinex can wire funds to Kraken to buy up all the cheap tethers). :-(

]
BitScrip

Activity: 25
Merit: 0

View Profile
May 01, 2017, 03:31:01 PM

Tether's purpose is very different from most coins. If there are other actions being taken on it and it's value becomes diminished beyond it's function then it will cease.

"Scam" is thrown around so much in this forum it's lost meaning. Most "scam"s are not even close but rather kneejerk reactions or FUD.

More options for trading and settlement are better overall.
thejaytiesto
Legendary

Activity: 1358
Merit: 1014

View Profile
May 01, 2017, 03:50:45 PM

Tether was fine until some exchanges like Kraken hate it. Tether to the moon! I expect a Tether pump soon.

What do you mean by Tether pump ? Doesnt the price stays the same ?

Im not sure if that guy is that dumb or just trolling.

Anyway, im done with so called "digital dollars" that supposedly stay pegged with the dollar. Everything tried thus far has been a failure (anyone remembers nubits?). I wish there was a way to do this so you don't need to get fucked by the taxman if you want to go to fiat temporarily to profit from a bitcoin dip, but all those "cryptodollar" coins keep crashing eventually.
Spoderman

Activity: 122

Swinging from buildings in my spare time.

View Profile
May 01, 2017, 03:59:59 PM

Tether was fine until some exchanges like Kraken hate it. Tether to the moon! I expect a Tether pump soon.

Anyway, im done with so called "digital dollars" that supposedly stay pegged with the dollar. Everything tried thus far has been a failure (anyone remembers nubits?). I wish there was a way to do this so you don't need to get fucked by the taxman if you want to go to fiat temporarily to profit from a bitcoin dip, but all those "cryptodollar" coins keep crashing eventually.

BitUSD is still worth 1 USD. So far Bitshares is the only one that has accomplished parity for this long.

muddafudda
Legendary

Activity: 1008
Merit: 1022

View Profile
May 02, 2017, 06:54:26 AM

Tether.to is a service that prides itself on a transparent company. For this purpose, a company publicly makes available its reserve balance. However, there is a discrepancy of millions of dollars between your reservations and the article number in circulation. One thing is certain, this is a very unusual situation. The company issues USDT tokens, which have their value tied to the US dollar. Currently, current liabilities are $ 42,313,582.47, which is a relatively high amount. However, its assets represent only $ 41,371,231.12. The difference between the two numbers is almost one million, which is marked on the page as negative equity.
game_changer

Activity: 56

View Profile
May 02, 2017, 12:11:29 PM

this is what happens with a centralised peg!

More reason why I cant wait for Bitbays decentralised rolling peg this coming Winter.

game_changer

Activity: 56

View Profile
May 02, 2017, 12:13:36 PM

bitbay this winter are doing one. http://bitbay.market/about/pegging/
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: