Bitcoin Forum
May 04, 2024, 09:13:34 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 [18] 19 20 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Tether: not even a scam  (Read 31043 times)
hastag_80

Activity: 392
Merit: 11

The New Pharma-Centric Marketplace

View Profile
July 05, 2018, 02:29:28 AM

I have a great idea for a business. I'll invite people to send me money. For every dollar they send me, I'll send them a receipt saying "Thanks for sending me your dollar. You can have your dollar back whenever you like subject to the following condition: you don't really have any right to have it back. And I promise I'll put it in my bank account and keep it there until I decide not to anymore." And people could use my thank-you notes as money!

Would this be a scam? No it wouldn't. A scam is, by definition, a deception; a scheme based on dishonesty and fraud, and I'm being completely candid about my intentions.

From the Tether FAQ:

Quote from: https://tether.to/faq (fair use applies)
How do I know my Tether is secure?

Tether is built on top of the revolutionary and cryptographically secure open blockchain technology and adheres to strict security and global government laws and regulations.

All tethers are pegged at one-to-one with matching fiat currency (e.g., 1 USD₮ = 1 USD) and are backed 100% by actual assets in our reserve account. As a fully transparent company, we publish a real-time record of all value held and transferred in and out of our reserve account.

Tethers can be securely stored, sent and received across the blockchain and are redeemable for cash (the underlying asset) pursuant to Tether Limited’s terms of service.

And here are the terms of service as they relate to the redeemability of Tethers:

Quote from: https://tether.to/legal (fair use applies)
3. Purchase and Redemption of Tethers: The Site is an environment for the purchase and redemption of Tethers. Once you have Tethers, you can trade them, keep them, or use them to pay persons that will accept your Tethers. However, Tethers are not money and are not monetary instruments. They are also not stored value or currency.

There is no contractual right or other right or legal claim against us to redeem or exchange your Tethers for money. We do not guarantee any right of redemption or exchange of Tethers by us for money. There is no guarantee against losses when you buy, trade, sell, or redeem Tethers.

So Tethers are redeemable subject to the condition that they're not. No deception here. There is a fully transparent company for you.

Also from the terms of service:

Quote from: https://tether.to/legal (fair use applies)
Limitation of Liability & Release: Important: Except as may be provided for in these Terms of Service, we assume no liability or responsibility for and shall have no liability or responsibility for any claim, application, loss, injury, delay, accident, cost, business interruption costs, or any other expenses (including, without limitation, attorneys’ fees or the costs of any claim or suit), nor for any incidental, direct, indirect, general, special, punitive, exemplary, or consequential damages, loss of goodwill or business profits, work stoppage, data loss, computer failure or malfunction, or any and all other commercial losses (collectively, referred to herein as “Losses”) directly or indirectly arising out of or related to:
   1.   these Terms of Service;
   2.   the Site, and your use of it;
   3.   the Services, and your use of any of them;
   4.   the real or perceived value of any Tethers or of digital tokens, money, or any other property used to purchase Tethers;
   5.   any failure, delay, malfunction, interruption, or decision by us in operating the Site or providing any Service;
   6.   any stolen, lost, or unauthorized use of your account information any breach of security or data breach related to your account information; or
   7.   any offer, representation, suggestion, statement, or claim made about us, the Site, or any Service by any Associate.
You hereby agree to release the Associates from liability for any and all Losses, and you shall indemnify and save and hold the Associates harmless from and against all Losses. The foregoing limitations of liability shall apply whether the alleged liability or Losses are based on contract, negligence, tort, unjust enrichment, strict liability, or any other basis, even if the Associates have been advised of or should have known of the possibility of such losses and damages, and without regard to the success or effectiveness of any other remedies.

This is obviously very well thought out! According to #4, if you "perceive" that Tethers are worth something, and they aren't, you have no recourse.  Under #5, whatever it is that Tether does, if they suddenly stop doing it, you have no recourse. And under #7, if someone from Tether told you that Tethers are worth something, and they aren't -- no recourse. Unjust enrichment? No recourse!

If Tether management decides to close up shop tomorrow and leave with the all the money, it wouldn't violate the terms of service. It's all there in black and white - no deception there!

Could the fact that Tethers are trading somewhere close to par have anything to do with the fact that some people "perceive" (see 11.4 above) that Tethers have an intrinsic value or are redeemable? Could it have anything to do with the possibility that some people "perceive" that Tether's reserves are committed to redeeming Tethers or supporting the value of Tethers? If anyone "perceives" that, it's their own fault, not Tether's!

Here's my idea again. I'll invite people to send me money. For every dollar they send me, I'll send them a receipt saying "Thanks for sending me your dollar. You can have your dollar back whenever you like subject to the following condition: you don't really have any right to have it back. And I promise I'll put it in my bank account and keep it there until I decide not to anymore." And people could use my thank-you notes as money!

Maybe not. Nobody would do that. It would be stupid.

As far as i know,everythings that,you thinks have not absurds or not sure of promise and can make your investment as impossible is a scam,therefore my opinion of this kind of promising investment that they called Tether is a scam,eveb other saying that this is not,because its involve a money or  capital to invest and you cannot assure that those investment that you released is in good faith,because its only a promised and no assurance.

Trade Pharma Network     │  New Pharma-Centric Marketplace
[   PRIVATE SALE   ]      │      WHITEPAPER
Linkedin        ⚫ Facebook        ⚫ Twitter        ⚫ Telegram

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Be very wary of relying on JavaScript for security on crypto sites. The site can change the JavaScript at any time unless you take unusual precautions, and browsers are not generally known for their airtight security.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
phas129nnn

Activity: 98
Merit: 0

View Profile
July 05, 2018, 04:49:16 PM

The problem for tether is lack of transparency. We all know Tether is completely centralized, and Bitfinex said it's backed by the real USD value but we didn't know how the way it's exactly works. I love to hear more about the scheme of it. But personally, I'm will stay away from Tether.
Hueristic
Legendary

Activity: 3808
Merit: 4893

Doomed to see the future and unable to prevent it

View Profile
July 09, 2018, 01:35:10 AM

The problem for tether is lack of transparency. We all know Tether is completely centralized, and Bitfinex said it's backed by the real USD value but we didn't know how the way it's exactly works. I love to hear more about the scheme of it. But personally, I'm will stay away from Tether.

QFT

However, I'm using tether. I don't care about its lack of transparency. I ignored all of the Tether FUD. Tether good for trading since it’s backed by the dollar. Because Tether has the cash in reserve and appears stable.

It is till it ain't. Lol
I can't wait to see your reaction then.

Tether
Hey Mom I made my first million!
Really?
Really!!!
Where is it?
On a anonymous exchange in a unsecured token.

“Bad men need nothing more to compass their ends, than that good men should look on and do nothing.”
KseniaLard

Activity: 196
Merit: 1

View Profile
July 09, 2018, 03:05:41 PM

The purpose of Tether is very different from most coins. If other actions are taken on it, and this value decreases outside its function, then it ceases. "Fraud" is so neglected on this forum that this is a lost value. Most "scammers" are not even close, but rather reactions to the knee or FUD. More trading and settlement options are better overall.
abusama01

Activity: 27

View Profile
July 11, 2018, 06:56:16 AM

I'm sure that the news that Tether is  scam has appeared in order to reduce the price of bitcoin. Whales want to buy a cheap bitcoin and therefore came up with this negative news.
mattroibecon24

Activity: 112

View Profile
July 12, 2018, 04:13:21 AM

Crytptomeniac

Activity: 240

View Profile
July 12, 2018, 04:21:30 AM

They dont audit even tho they promise to REGULARLY in their whitepaper. That immediately makes it a scam.

On top of this, they are likely not backing the tethers properly, counterfeiting, money laundering...

It’s foolish to assume they are not running a scam. It’s fairly obvious
Yeahnoh

Activity: 127
Merit: 3

View Profile
July 12, 2018, 05:02:24 AM

So much conflicting information, hard to tell for sure, but just knowing that these markets are unregulated, plus how it's a bit like the wild west, there's bound to be problems.

I imagine that even if Tether is trying to run a legit business, there's also a good chance that they bend the rules. These markets are moving so fast, money coming in, moving to and from so many exchanges and countries, it would be a miracle if they were able to their reserves where they should.

But playing fast/loose with the rules doesn't automatically make them a scam, no more than those big banks that caused the 2008 financial crisis.

💰💰💰💰💰💰💰💰💰💰💰 [ STEALTH PROJECT ] ANONYMOUS BROWSER AND CRYPTO WALLET WITH COIN MIXER 💰💰💰💰💰💰💰💰💰💰💰
http://stealthwallet.pro
leviathon

Activity: 392
Merit: 13

View Profile
July 12, 2018, 08:42:19 AM

I have to disagree. At first people did not think that tether was a scam, a lot of people got behind the project which is evident in the success of the coin so far but then they started to digress, did not do things they said they would like auditing regularly. Which raised a massive red flag with investors. Then there is the problem that they cannot give a clear cut answer to how their coin works and if for every tether that is created there is a USD to back it up. Way too many redflags with this project.
frerejaak

Activity: 182
Merit: 10

Cross-Border Blockchain Real Estate Marketplace

View Profile
July 12, 2018, 10:50:33 AM

I read somewhere theyre issuing a cryptocurency backed by the Euro, originated in Malta I believe. Could it be a similar scheme/scam?

◖◖◖◖◖ RealtyReturns ◗◗◗◗◗
━━━ Cross-Border Blockchain-based Real Estate Marketplace ━━━
FACEBOOKREDDITTWITTERTELEGRAM ☞ANN Thread
Hueristic
Legendary

View Profile
July 14, 2018, 11:04:26 PM

So much conflicting information, hard to tell for sure, but just knowing that these markets are unregulated, plus how it's a bit like the wild west, there's bound to be problems.

I imagine that even if Tether is trying to run a legit business, there's also a good chance that they bend the rules. These markets are moving so fast, money coming in, moving to and from so many exchanges and countries, it would be a miracle if they were able to their reserves where they should.

But playing fast/loose with the rules doesn't automatically make them a scam, no more than those big banks that caused the 2008 financial crisis.

The entire reason for Crypto is because bankers are scammers.

“Bad men need nothing more to compass their ends, than that good men should look on and do nothing.”
RondoAnyar

Activity: 651
Merit: 101

$CYBERCASH METAVERSE

View Profile
July 14, 2018, 11:06:27 PM

the tether is one of the stable coins and now the coin of the tether still has not shown any down or rising price movements. so today's tether coins still have hope of being a safe asset.

NexoFinance

Activity: 8

View Profile WWW
July 16, 2018, 05:11:10 PM

All Nexo (https://nexo.io) clients can withdraw instant crypto-backed USD loans using Tether (USDT).

More information about the benefits of the service here: https://medium.com/nexo/accounts-on-the-waiting-list-87dc772830ea
Serenus

Activity: 339
Merit: 10

View Profile WWW
July 16, 2018, 05:51:23 PM

I am personally very suspicious of such currency as Tether. If it turns out that this coin is not secured by anything, then it can hit the whole of the crypto-currency market very much.

░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒    SkyWay    ▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░
$1BN USD INVESTMENT ROUND OPENS 10th JULY, 2017      |      NEW GENERATION OF WORLD TRANSPORT SYSTEM
>                                  WHITEPAPER | BUSINESS PLAN | BITCOINTALK | SLACK | TELEGRAM | FACEBOOK                                  <
opeakande

Activity: 140

View Profile
July 16, 2018, 05:59:02 PM

I don't seem to understand what the token really entails but I have seen it trading on some major markets and I believe they must have done some research on it before they believe it.
Hueristic
Legendary

View Profile
July 21, 2018, 11:27:52 AM

Btw I'm in advance of making the tRUBL. Presale least purchase is 1500000 RUB. I will send you the tokens after installment is affirmed on a 1:1 proportion. Your rubles are sheltered with me.

Can't wait, don't forget to use a bank that can't be audited!

bebinonaa

Activity: 98

View Profile
July 27, 2018, 12:53:26 AM

I am extremely befuddled and same time leave with an excess of question about tie. It resembles the main way you could recover your fiat is purchasing btc again and exchange it to btc agains't your nearby fiat. At first I was strangely confounded, what's the utilization of tie at all in the event that you can't reclaim it back. The main utilization of it from my insight is to exchange against other crypto. That's it in a nutshell.
Omega Weapon

Activity: 1092
Merit: 501

View Profile
July 27, 2018, 01:19:43 AM

Tether was fine until some exchanges like Kraken hate it. Tether to the moon! I expect a Tether pump soon.

What do you mean by Tether pump ? Doesnt the price stays the same ?
There are two possibilities maybe he was just being cynical about the whole thing and it is just making fun of people or he does not know what he was talking about not realizing that tether is the only coin in the market that cannot pump in value, the coin could technically dump if at some point in the future it is demonstrated that the coin is a scam but it cannot pump.
Hueristic
Legendary

View Profile
July 27, 2018, 04:16:21 AM

Tether was fine until some exchanges like Kraken hate it. Tether to the moon! I expect a Tether pump soon.

What do you mean by Tether pump ? Doesnt the price stays the same ?
There are two possibilities maybe he was just being cynical about the whole thing and it is just making fun of people or he does not know what he was talking about not realizing that tether is the only coin in the market that cannot pump in value, the coin could technically dump if at some point in the future it is demonstrated that the coin is a scam but it cannot pump.

Amusingly enough there were enough idiots that there was a dump and then a pump when the morons though it was a fake out. The dump was spurred by when the fiat portals got closed. I think it was about a total of 15 cents spread on the outside.

sonheko

Activity: 46

View Profile
July 28, 2018, 11:41:33 PM

Its absolutely impossible that there is sufficient fiat being issued for each tie that is pushed into the market. Which is the reason you can't discover any trade that will change over your tie into fiat cash. It is pointless to the market and it may take a while for individuals to understand that what they are utilizing is something that is non existent and on the off chance that you have tie, get out now while despite everything you can.
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 [18] 19 20 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: