Bitcoin Forum
June 21, 2024, 10:14:48 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: S9 - Remove boards from housing?  (Read 554 times)
HashSpike (OP)

Activity: 21
Merit: 0

View Profile
April 23, 2017, 12:36:56 AM

Hello,

I remember awhile back I saw that someone with S5's(I believe) posted pictures of their setup.  They had removed the boards from their housing and placed them separately, mounted on a wall with a silent badass fan blowing at them.

Is this possible for the S9's or would they end up getting hotter?

Someone also mentioned to me that I should remove the boards and place them heat sink down on a sheet of aluminum foil to act as a larger heat sink, with fans of course.

Anyone tried either of these for the S9's or any asic's?  Any suggestions other than liquid immersion, water cooling, oil, more A/C would be most helpful!

These are in my home, inside with our air conditioner running about 73f, however, the front room they are in cannot keep up with their output(2 S9's).  I even bought a 10,000 BTU window mount which did nothing but add 100$ to my monthly electric bill, so that fucker is getting ripped out.  I plan on going through my A/C system tomorrow to see if there are leaks or some damper issues.
3ricj

Activity: 5
Merit: 0

View Profile
April 23, 2017, 01:04:48 AM

There are two goals with cooling:  Removing the heat from the small point sources of heat (the ASICs), and keeping the room cool.

Any modification you make to the s9, will not help keep the room cooler.  It might possibly make the ASIC cooler, but that's very hard to do.  The stuff you discussed won't likely work very well.

If your room is getting warm one of the best methods is to exhaust the warm air to outside.  So a window fan blowout outwards with the s9s pointed at the fan would likely work really well. 
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: