Bitcoin Forum
June 16, 2024, 03:22:09 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Warning: One or more bitcointalk.org users have reported that they strongly believe that the creator of this topic is a scammer. (Login to see the detailed trust ratings.) While the bitcointalk.org administration does not verify such claims, you should proceed with extreme caution.
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Electrical hazards  (Read 871 times)
m4rv3 (OP)

Activity: 30
Merit: 0

View Profile
April 23, 2017, 02:10:02 AM

Over the past couple months I had been experiencing some problems with my miner not working at its optimum speed however,  yesterday I fixed it.  (One of the wires to the second fan was damaged)...  Now that it's fixed its working at its full potential..

It is an S7 running at 4.6Th/s

Apparently,  now that it's running at its full potential,  it's drawing more current.  I had it connected to a 2000Watt transformer last night and one of the sockets to the transformer melted.

I switched it to another location today using a bigger transformer (3000watts),  only to know after a couple hours of mining,  the transformer burnt out.

Has anyone been experiencing these problems and how we're they solved?

How do you have your miners connected? 
xhomerx10
Legendary

Activity: 3878
Merit: 8248

View Profile
April 23, 2017, 02:13:56 AM

Over the past couple months I had been experiencing some problems with my miner not working at its optimum speed however,  yesterday I fixed it.  (One of the wires to the second fan was damaged)...  Now that it's fixed its working at its full potential..

It is an S7 running at 4.6Th/s

Apparently,  now that it's running at its full potential,  it's drawing more current.  I had it connected to a 2000Watt transformer last night and one of the sockets to the transformer melted.

I switched it to another location today using a bigger transformer (3000watts),  only to know after a couple hours of mining,  the transformer burnt out.

Has anyone been experiencing these problems and how we're they solved?

How do you have your miners connected? 

You need to let us know what transformers you were using as the overall rating alone doesn't give enough information. 
NotFuzzyWarm
Legendary

Activity: 3668
Merit: 2602

Evil beware: We have waffles!

View Profile
April 23, 2017, 02:31:26 AM

I am guessing that you are using something like this? http://www.world-import.com/tc-3000a.htm#sthash.cqKkiUKm.dpbs
Pretty much every "World voltage converter" I have come across is a highly under-rated piece of sh*t that uses far too thin wire for the winding's along with paper insulation.

Use a REAL 120/240V industrial rated transformer. Yes they are about 2-3x the cost but they are bulletproof. Proper size wire and core construction, generally potted in resin, UL-rated, etc...

- For bitcoin to succeed the community must police itself -    My info useful? Donations welcome! 3NtFuzyWREGoDHWeMczeJzxFZpiLAFJXYr
 -Sole remaining active developer of cgminer, Kano's repo is here
-Support Sidehacks miner development. Donations to:   1BURGERAXHH6Yi6LRybRJK7ybEm5m5HwTr
m4rv3 (OP)

View Profile
April 23, 2017, 02:39:06 AM

I am guessing that you are using something like this? http://www.world-import.com/tc-3000a.htm#sthash.cqKkiUKm.dpbs
Pretty much every "World voltage converter" I have come across is a highly under-rated piece of sh*t that uses far too thin wire for the winding's along with paper insulation.

Use a REAL 120/240V industrial rated transformer. Yes they are about 2-3x the cost but they are bulletproof. Proper size wire and core construction, generally potted in resin, UL-rated, etc...

Yes this is similar to the type of transformer I was using. I will look into the one you recommended.
xhomerx10
Legendary

View Profile
April 23, 2017, 02:49:15 AM

Why would you want to step down the voltage from 240 to 120?!  Most power supplies are more efficient using 240V.
m4rv3 (OP)

View Profile
April 23, 2017, 03:00:56 AM

Why would you want to step down the voltage from 240 to 120?!  Most power supplies are more efficient using 240V.

The power supplies I have are 110v
xhomerx10
Legendary

View Profile
April 23, 2017, 03:03:00 AM

Are they cheaper than 240 volt power supplies + a step down transformer?
m4rv3 (OP)

View Profile
April 23, 2017, 03:15:48 AM

I got these together with my miner when purchased.  Never considered it to be a problem until now.

Now I will definitely either look into industrial grade transformers or get 240v power supplies like you suggested
veleten
Legendary

Activity: 2016
Merit: 1106

View Profile
April 25, 2017, 06:07:41 PM

I got these together with my miner when purchased.  Never considered it to be a problem until now.

Now I will definitely either look into industrial grade transformers or get 240v power supplies like you suggested

very strange,did you buy your miners from an oficial suplier or second hand?
if I'm not mistaken,no site is selling 110v power supplies with the miners
also you should be better off buying a 240v supply instead,if you ever deicde to buy additional miners
you will get a 240v from the get go and don't have any troubles with transformers and converters

▄▄████▄▄
      ▄▄███▀    ▀███▄▄
   ▄████████▄▄▄▄████████▄
  ▀██████████████████████▀
▐█▄▄ ▀▀████▀    ▀████▀▀ ▄▄██
▐█████▄▄ ▀██▄▄▄▄██▀ ▄▄██▀  █
▐██ ▀████▄▄ ▀██▀ ▄▄████  ▄██
▐██  ███████▄  ▄████████████
▐██  █▌▐█ ▀██  ██████▀  ████
▐██  █▌▐█  ██  █████  ▄█████
 ███▄ ▌▐█  ██  ████████████▀
  ▀▀████▄ ▄██  ██▀  ████▀▀