Bitcoin Forum
June 17, 2024, 11:41:28 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: What version of Linux?  (Read 1905 times)
AlexMerced (OP)

Activity: 84
Merit: 10

View Profile WWW
April 26, 2013, 01:03:54 PM

Well, from I keep reading, compiling for windows seems to be diffucult, and I may have better tools available to me in linux so I thought I'd ask...

- What version of Linux would be the best to install as a partition on my windows pc? (is it better to boot from a USB?, can I boot from within windows?)

- Once I have linux, what's the best freeware for editing and compiling code. Will practice by compiling the litecoin code if that helps.

Sorry I have been asking a lot of questions, I'm just very eager to learn all these things.

tiktoc

Activity: 176
Merit: 100

View Profile
April 26, 2013, 02:13:39 PM

You might have better luck on one of the linux forums.

Before you install on any hard drives make sure you have  backup. If you dont do the install properly you can wipe the wrong hardrive etc.

My suggestion would be to install virtual box https://www.virtualbox.org/wiki/Downloads

Then you can try out multiple distributions of linux all you want without effecting your windows install.

For me currently (depends what you want to do eg desktop or server)
These are for desktop

1. Linux Mint  http://www.linuxmint.com/download.php  (cinnamon version with codecs)
2. Ubuntu http://www.ubuntu.com/download/desktop   
3. Debian http://www.debian.org/CD/torrent-cd/

As for code and compiling on the first two
sudo install build-essential 

will install gcc etc

http://www.techrepublic.com/blog/10things/10-linux-and-open-source-developer-tools-you-should-not-overlook/579

There are  hundreds of blogs/articles out there on coding/developing etc

Abdussamad
Legendary

Activity: 3640
Merit: 1568

View Profile
April 27, 2013, 12:58:55 PM

What are you trying to compile? If you want to use the reference client you can just use the pre-compiled binary.
daybyter
Legendary

Activity: 965
Merit: 1000

View Profile
April 27, 2013, 03:48:18 PM

I like Gentoo. Since it compiles everything anway, all the dev stuff is installed already...but it's not great for newbies, I guess..

Deth

Activity: 518
Merit: 500

View Profile
April 27, 2013, 03:58:29 PM

Mint - if you want fancy very-user-friendly interface, suitable for your grandma. Debian - if you fine with less convenient and more secure and stable environment. Arch - if you want to control and know (and study) everything Smiley

AlexMerced (OP)

View Profile WWW
April 27, 2013, 06:36:15 PM

I've downloaded vitualbox and am setting up my first virtual machine and downloading the latest version of Linux Mint

I guess once the vitual machine is built and the linux iso is downloaded, the next step will to be to figure out how to install on the vitual machine, but that probably shouldn't be too diffcult.

Stuff still left to do:

- Understand the Gensis Block creation process... can't find a good explanation of what all the pieces and how they work

- compile and test.

great learning experience, renewed my old interest in programming

grue
Legendary

Activity: 2058
Merit: 1431

View Profile
April 27, 2013, 06:56:56 PM

here's what i did to compile bitcoin-qt on windows
1. install vmware workstation 9
2. download ubuntu VM
3. create new ubuntu VM
4. install gitian builder
5. use sipa's script to build bitcoin

it's much easier to building on windows, and it builds windows executables in addition to linux ones. no need to mess with cross-compile.

It is pitch black. You are likely to be eaten by a grue.

Adblock for annoying signature ads | Enhanced Merit UI
AlexMerced (OP)

View Profile WWW
April 27, 2013, 07:25:20 PM

here's what i did to compile bitcoin-qt on windows
1. install vmware workstation 9
2. download ubuntu VM
3. create new ubuntu VM
4. install gitian builder
5. use sipa's script to build bitcoin

it's much easier to building on windows, and it builds windows executables in addition to linux ones. no need to mess with cross-compile.

Nice, thanks, I'll give that a shot

AlexMerced (OP)

View Profile WWW
April 27, 2013, 07:38:08 PM

LinuxMint just shows me a splash screen and never actually boots in my VM box after I mounted with CloneDrive.

Now I"m downloading Ubuntu 13.04 and will give that a shot and try the approach above.

Dougie

Activity: 211

You are not special.

View Profile
April 27, 2013, 07:38:26 PM

I'd personally recommend ubuntu if you have no linux experience. Even if you do have some experience it is great and the community are really helpful. It's pretty simple to use and if you have windows already installed with no partitions set up you can use ubuntu windows installer so you install ubuntu like a windows program and can uninstall it in the same way but it allows you to have a dual booting computer very easily.

But virtual machines are a great idea as already recommended for picking a distro before installing.

Lurking since 2011...
1J4DhU3q6RxxCTfAAcg5ExVK6FfxkmzkTH
matthewh3
Legendary

Activity: 1372
Merit: 1003

View Profile WWW
April 27, 2013, 07:50:12 PM

Xubuntu is my favourite distro its very lightweight and feature rich.  It also runs faster than any other Xfce based distro's I've tried.

tiktoc

View Profile
April 27, 2013, 11:02:50 PM

LinuxMint just shows me a splash screen and never actually boots in my VM box after I mounted with CloneDrive.

Now I"m downloading Ubuntu 13.04 and will give that a shot and try the approach above.

Clone drive ? huh ?

Did you set the virtual box vm to the right version that you downloaded 32bit or 64 bit ?

Video tutorial
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lIqR--Lj0_Y

http://www.worldgoneweb.com/2011/installing-mint-on-virtual-box-from-an-iso/
AlexMerced (OP)

View Profile WWW
April 27, 2013, 11:22:11 PM

LinuxMint just never booted

Both versions of Ubuntu (32 and 64 both said there was akernel problem)

I'm trying the LTS version now in 64 bit (since my pc is 64 bit)

Is it possible my hardware is the problem?

AlexMerced (OP)

View Profile WWW
April 28, 2013, 12:15:33 AM

No matter which version of Ubuntu I get it saids:

"This Kernal Requires X86-64 CPU, but all that is detected is i686 CPU, please use a kernal appropriate to your CPU"

any advice?

gglon

Activity: 64

View Profile
April 28, 2013, 12:21:59 AM

No matter which version of Ubuntu I get it saids:
"This Kernal Requires X86-64 CPU, but all that is detected is i686 CPU, please use a kernal appropriate to your CPU"
That means your cpu is 32bit, so 32bit version should work. Check again if you have downloaded and burned the 32bit version.
wabber

Activity: 85

View Profile
April 28, 2013, 12:33:39 AM

https://www.kernel.org/
you should use the most recent version (3.8.10).

Well I know what you meant and probably does everyone else. But I just want you to know that Linux itself is just the kernel which on it's own is pretty useless for an enduser. And therefore asking for a version of Linux is misleading.

You are searching for a GNU/Linux Distro that suits your needs. Although I do think gentoo is the best to use, it's probably not the best for you.
You want something that works out of the box so Ubuntu should be fine for you. You could also use xubuntu if you prefer it's GUI but it's basically the same.
If you don't want cannonical to sell you to amazon follow this tutorial right after installation:
http://askubuntu.com/questions/192269/how-can-i-remove-amazon-search-results-from-the-dash

Now about your installation:
If your PC has a 64bit CPU use the 64bit version of course. Don't even try the 32bit version.

Are you running it natively or in a VM?

Your hardware shouldn't be a problem the only problem with hardware support you could get is 3D performance. WLAN problems are part of the past and your box should definitely boot up.

Could you please write down the reason for the kernel panic? The last time I installed ubuntu on someone's pc it messed up the partitions somehow and panicked that it couldn't find the root partition. After configuring grub myself it worked.

Also I don't think there's any use for the LTS version unless you are lazy because you can always do a release upgrade I suppose. Correct me if I'm wrong.

//edit
you are definitely using a 64bit image on a 32bit CPU. You probably messed something up during download.
Use this one for xubuntu: http://cdimages.ubuntu.com/xubuntu/releases/raring/release/xubuntu-13.04-desktop-i386.iso
tiktoc

View Profile
April 28, 2013, 12:56:29 AM

https://www.kernel.org/
you should use the most recent version (3.8.10).

Well I know what you meant and probably does everyone else. But I just want you to know that Linux itself is just the kernel which on it's own is pretty useless for an enduser. And therefore asking for a version of Linux is misleading.

You are searching for a GNU/Linux Distro that suits your needs. Although I do think gentoo is the best to use, it's probably not the best for you.
RMS is that you in disguise?
tiktoc

View Profile
April 28, 2013, 12:59:12 AM

Watch the video and read the tutorial and make sure you choose the right settings for the vm you create.
AlexMerced (OP)

View Profile WWW
April 28, 2013, 01:24:01 AM

I tried and got the same error for the 32bit and 64bit version using Virtual Box, the iso was mounted with clone drive.

When I right click my computer and check preferences it saids my pc is 64 bit.

I get the error with both the 32 bit and 64 bit version of Ubuntu

When I tried LinuxMint 64 bit it just showed a splash screen and never did anything.

wabber

Activity: 85

View Profile
April 28, 2013, 01:30:58 AM

RMS is that you in disguise?

No, I wouldn't auction a gnu for pounds on the bitcoin conference.

I don't think a 32bit kernel is capable of spitting that message out. So did you triple check that you have the correct iso mounted?
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: