Bitcoin Forum
May 08, 2024, 09:50:51 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Having a definite address  (Read 438 times)
Continuous (OP)

Activity: 1064
Merit: 264

View Profile
April 23, 2017, 08:01:24 PM

Hey,

I have been using Blockchain ever since I got into Bitcoin and it generates random addresses every time a payment is sent/received.

I'd like to have a solid BTC address I can sign messages with and keep a track with.

How can this be done ?

Should I be using another wallet for the purpose ?

Thank you for your help!

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"Your bitcoin is secured in a way that is physically impossible for others to access, no matter for what reason, no matter how good the excuse, no matter a majority of miners, no matter what." -- Greg Maxwell
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
achow101
Legendary

Activity: 3388
Merit: 6631

Just writing some code

View Profile WWW
April 23, 2017, 08:16:15 PM

No decent wallet will only give you one static address. It is both less secure and less private to only be using one address. Wallets should always be giving you a new address every time you click on "Receive". However, that does not mean that old addresses are suddenly unusable. Addresses which you have previously given out, received at, and sent from will still work for all of those things. You can still give it to other people and receive Bitcoin there. You can still use it to sign messages and send Bitcoin if it has any to spend. Your wallet still tracks transactions to and from that address so you can use it multiple times, it just is not recommended to do that, although many people still do.

You should however stop using Blockchain.info's wallet. They frequently have bugs and do not provide enough control to the user for you to actually be in control of your Bitcoin. You should use any wallet that is listed on https://bitcoin.org/en/choose-your-wallet

Continuous (OP)

Activity: 1064
Merit: 264

View Profile
April 23, 2017, 08:37:11 PM

No decent wallet will only give you one static address. It is both less secure and less private to only be using one address. Wallets should always be giving you a new address every time you click on "Receive". However, that does not mean that old addresses are suddenly unusable. Addresses which you have previously given out, received at, and sent from will still work for all of those things. You can still give it to other people and receive Bitcoin there. You can still use it to sign messages and send Bitcoin if it has any to spend. Your wallet still tracks transactions to and from that address so you can use it multiple times, it just is not recommended to do that, although many people still do.

You should however stop using Blockchain.info's wallet. They frequently have bugs and do not provide enough control to the user for you to actually be in control of your Bitcoin. You should use any wallet that is listed on https://bitcoin.org/en/choose-your-wallet

Thanks a lot on the fully detailed explanation achow101.

I will now be closing my topic and I'll be going over the list you've provided me.

Thank you once again!
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: