View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Bitcoin mining is now a specialized and very risky industry, just like gold mining. Amateur miners are unlikely to make much money, and may even lose money. Bitcoin is much more than just mining, though!
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Vorksholk
Legendary

Activity: 1713
Merit: 1029

View Profile WWW
April 26, 2013, 03:30:47 PM

Could someone help me with the math on Feathercoin and maybe some other altcoins? Currently I have BTC, LTC, TRC and BTE and I'd like to trade some of those coins for FC but I have no clue how
to calculate price ratios. What aspects of coin should one look at? Number of coins one can mine with hardware X in some period of time? Does total number of coins to be mined, are already mined, difficulty
and adoption / usefulness of some coin matter at all or is just "if I can mine 1 BTC per day or 100 LTC per day, price for 1 LTC is 0.01 BTC"?

If only Alternate Currency price could be modeled with a statistical model accurately, trading would be so easy.

Unfortunately, each different Alternate currency has a different adoption pattern, many go dormant for months and then come back, some have a huge initial burst and then are abandoned, and some are adopted quickly by exchanges while others take longer.

Generally speaking, logic would prevail with mining 1 BTC a day vs x amount of Alt per day so the value of the Alt would be BTC/Alt in a time period. However, this model simply loosely models reality. If this were true, dustcoin.com's percents should all be around 100% (aside from merge-mineable coins).

Adoption and usefulness sadly aren't two sides of the same coin, but they do have some correlation.

It may be a good idea to graph current prices, past prices, and try to visually predict future patterns, however some people get heavily burned while doing this. Personally, I like to diversify my holdings between a lot of alternate currencies and Bitcoin itself. It is never a bad idea to keep a few thousand of each coin, so if one becomes huge you aren't kicking yourself. With feathercoin, all my holdings are just from coins that I mined at launch, but if I had not been on the early mining boat I would be probably converting around 8% of my Litecoins into feathercoins.

Best of luck, trading is really confusing! Smiley

VeriBlock: Securing The World's Blockchains Using Bitcoin
https://veriblock.org
perhan007

Activity: 518
Merit: 250

View Profile
April 26, 2013, 03:46:14 PM

With 1 mHash/s you make 168 FC or 2.48 LTC a day.

So the ratio should be around 14.7 LTC per 1000 FC...

If you believe that FC will rise, it will be higher, if not, lower ;-)
Vorksholk
Legendary

Activity: 1713
Merit: 1029

View Profile WWW
April 26, 2013, 04:01:14 PM

Is there any specific reason why people trade just LTC for FC?

Generally speaking, Litecoin is the main alternate currency at this point, and so it is the most commonly-traded coin into other alts.

VeriBlock: Securing The World's Blockchains Using Bitcoin
https://veriblock.org
justabitoftime

Activity: 154
Merit: 100

CoinTropolis

View Profile
April 26, 2013, 04:21:16 PM

Generally speaking, Litecoin is the main alternate currency at this point, and so it is the most commonly-traded coin into other alts.

It looks to me the deal there is simple - since Gox announced for the 2nd or 3rd time LTC will be added in the future, and since BTC/LTC price is quite high already,
bushstar and few others decided to quickly come up with new altcoin and actualy rip off any and all greedy noobs and investors off their LTC. I might be wrong there,
but my intuition is telling me the oppossite is the true.

Lots of conspiracy theories at work, everyone is entitled to their version. I found out about FC a day or two after launch from trollbox at BTC-e of all places. I liked the community push and decided to jump aboard and bringing in my resources. I've helped lead grass roots campaigns in the past, looking forward to seeing how it translates to the crypto market.

As a free market type guy, I have trouble wrapping my mind around all the 'this coin shouldn't exist' type comments. It's the same ones we saw in the Litecoin launch thread.  If the market doesn't want a coin, it will be rejected and value will drop. I don't care if 100 coins are created, it doesn't concern me. I have faith the market will shake out those that don't offer anything of value to buyers and fade away.

If the people I've met in the FC community is any indication of the broad passion we'll eventually attract, it should be an interesting year.  Wish the best for everyone involved in this crypto community, good luck out there!

(I own BTC, LTC, FC, and PPC)

Dacm4n

Activity: 363
Merit: 250

View Profile
April 26, 2013, 05:06:44 PM

It looks to me the deal there is simple - since Gox announced for the 2nd or 3rd time LTC will be added in the future, and since BTC/LTC price is quite high already,
bushstar and few others decided to quickly come up with new altcoin and actualy rip off any and all greedy noobs and investors off their LTC. I might be wrong there,
but my intuition is telling me the oppossite is the true.

Forget about the buying FC part, I'll stay away from it for now. Price for FC is actualy ridicule - with almost 5 millions coins already mined, buying at 20 LTC / 1000 FC
or similar ratio is supporting big money flow into developer and few others' pockets. It is all staged quite well with just one aim in mind - get rich quick. I would be fine
with putting big money there if they actualy put some decent effort into Feathercoin, but it is just a minor variation on Litecoin, nothing more.

Yea i'm not understanding why people are so eager to trade their LTC so cheaply with the mtgox news for an unknown coin with no exchange. LTC could be at $10 in under 2 weeks and feathercoin still around $0.25. The people who got rid of their ltc will be kicking themselves hard. I think it's better to wait for an exchange to announce feathercoin, wait for the massive dump and then buy the cheaper coins and hold them for the future.
temor

Activity: 168
Merit: 100

View Profile
April 26, 2013, 05:38:37 PM

Ok look! It's the guy who said altcoins deserve to be crushed like bugs! Apparently he likes bugs now.

Please make a post in my Reputation Thread if we've had a successful trade.
StephenJH

Activity: 1442
Merit: 521

No more Rekt and Bust

View Profile
April 28, 2013, 03:53:18 AM

Ok look! It's the guy who said altcoins deserve to be crushed like bugs! Apparently he likes bugs now.

Altcoins still suck. I bought some so I can play trader games on the exchanges, nothing else, which does not make altcoins any more useful than before.

Doublespeak

███████████████████████████
███████████████████████████
████████▀▀▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▀▀████████
██████▀▄██▀▀▄▄ ████▄▀██████
█████ ███ ████ ▀▀████ █████
████ █████ ███▀▀▀▄████ ████
████ ███▀▀▀▄▄▄████████ ████
████ ██▄▄▀▀███████▀▄▄█ ████
█████ █████ █▀██▀▄███ █████
██████▄▀███▀▄█▀▄███▀▄██████
████████▄▄▀▀▀ ▀▀▀▄▄████████