Bitcoin Forum
May 06, 2024, 10:46:54 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: My road to a mining farm  (Read 2642 times)
Jamievs (OP)

Activity: 266
Merit: 250

View Profile
April 26, 2017, 07:15:19 PM

Thanks h311m4n. I made the USB install just now and I appreciate the remarks. Incase I only get 5 to work I do have slots open (for now) on other mobo's.

Waiting for parts is annoying. Even worse.. I made my first order ever today Caseking for 6 cards that were in stock according to there website. 6 hours after ordering I got a message they are now out of stock and they don't know when new ones will arrive. So not only do I have to search for a supplier that has them in stock but the funds for 6 GPU's are stuck on their bank account know and lord knows how long companies can take to get you your refund.......  Undecided Undecided
"Governments are good at cutting off the heads of a centrally controlled networks like Napster, but pure P2P networks like Gnutella and Tor seem to be holding their own." -- Satoshi
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
h311m4n

Activity: 487
Merit: 266

View Profile
April 27, 2017, 09:28:52 AM

Thanks h311m4n. I made the USB install just now and I appreciate the remarks. Incase I only get 5 to work I do have slots open (for now) on other mobo's.

Waiting for parts is annoying. Even worse.. I made my first order ever today Caseking for 6 cards that were in stock according to there website. 6 hours after ordering I got a message they are now out of stock and they don't know when new ones will arrive. So not only do I have to search for a supplier that has them in stock but the funds for 6 GPU's are stuck on their bank account know and lord knows how long companies can take to get you your refund.......  Undecided Undecided

I know the struggle mate, all cards are out of stock everywhere or they just have one or two available. This is another thing I have learned, always buy your cards in batches (like 6 GPUS). This way, you're more or less certain to get the same memory brands on all 6 cards and it's much less of a hassle. I have a rig with 4GB cards where 2 have hynix, 2 have elpida and 2 have Samsung memory. I left it on XMR, too much of a hassle to tweak for ETH.

Lucky me, I was able to get my hands on 6x 470 Nitro+ 4GB with 2Ghz memory 2 days ago. They were a bit on the pricey side (~230$) but at current ETH prices, I'm not too concerned about how much cards cost.

Yeah, when you're not sure about stock, it's better to ring them up or send them an e-mail to request how many they have in inventory. This way you avoid having your funds stuck especially if you can't afford to make a same payment of +1000€ while waiting for your refund (I suppose you're in Germany if you order at Casekings).
Jamievs (OP)

View Profile
April 28, 2017, 06:03:13 AM

I know the struggle mate, all cards are out of stock everywhere or they just have one or two available. This is another thing I have learned, always buy your cards in batches (like 6 GPUS). This way, you're more or less certain to get the same memory brands on all 6 cards and it's much less of a hassle. I have a rig with 4GB cards where 2 have hynix, 2 have elpida and 2 have Samsung memory. I left it on XMR, too much of a hassle to tweak for ETH.

Lucky me, I was able to get my hands on 6x 470 Nitro+ 4GB with 2Ghz memory 2 days ago. They were a bit on the pricey side (~230$) but at current ETH prices, I'm not too concerned about how much cards cost.

Yeah, when you're not sure about stock, it's better to ring them up or send them an e-mail to request how many they have in inventory. This way you avoid having your funds stuck especially if you can't afford to make a same payment of +1000€ while waiting for your refund (I suppose you're in Germany if you order at Casekings).

I agree on buying in batches. I have sort of the same problem with my 480's. Also I am not in Germany, on the world-map I am one country to the left  Cheesy

I did order another 6 at a different party (Mindfactory) a little bit after the news came in so fortunately not much additional waiting time. Turned out the cards where €20,- cheaper each at Mindfactory! So I ended up with an even better deal. I was pleasently surprised casekings refunded the purchase to my paypal within hours of emailing them I wished to cancel the order.
Jamievs (OP)

View Profile
May 09, 2017, 07:50:43 PM

So.. lots has happened since my last post. My frames came in and I rearranged all my gpu's.

This is how it is looking now, if you can remember it, a total different sight compared to the cluster of cables I showed in my opening post.

I am still waiting for my order of thumbscrews to get in so I can stack them into one tower.

Also bought a bios from a member on this forum and got my RX 580's tweaked;

The tweaking is not done yet. Sometimes the hashrates drop briefly and the rig is still pulling about 1170 watt, so roughly about 125 watt per card. Which is not too bad because before I started tweaking the rig was on 1550 watt.

I am not sure yet what to do with my 3x XFX RX 480 rig. One out of the 3 has a most likely a different voltage controller and does not like the bios changes / clock changes. I am considering selling them off and place 580's in there. Also my NVIDIA rig still only has just one 1080 in there happily mining at 510-520 sol. Too bad they are fairly expensive to buy.

Also past weeks I have been talking about work about my side project and he might turn into an investor  Shocked

EDIT: Also.. if someone knows a reliable supplier of server PSU's / breakout boards in the EU I'd love to hear about it!
mr.hump

Activity: 19
Merit: 0

View Profile
May 12, 2017, 06:28:00 PM

you are probably very happy person with all this cards)
Wish u good profit!
merlinsbeard

Activity: 66
Merit: 10

View Profile
May 13, 2017, 04:08:54 AM

Looks good! Where did you buy the ASrock H81 motherboard? I am considering building a dedicated rig.
Jamievs (OP)

View Profile
May 13, 2017, 05:49:53 AM

Looks good! Where did you buy the ASrock H81 motherboard? I am considering building a dedicated rig.

https://www.ethereumminer.eu/product/Motherboards/ETHEU-MOBO-H81-PRO/Asrock-H81-Pro-BTC.html

Not the cheapest but one of the few with stock  Smiley
criptobear

Activity: 131
Merit: 100

Blockchain based interface to the physical world

View Profile WWW
May 13, 2017, 05:52:13 AM

The Zec hash rate of 522 is referring to how many gpus?
Jamievs (OP)

View Profile
May 13, 2017, 06:08:05 AM

The Zec hash rate of 522 is referring to how many gpus?

Just one 1080 (8 gb, none ti)
Vaccinus

Activity: 406

View Profile
May 13, 2017, 06:42:48 AM

https://www.ethereumminer.eu/product/Motherboards/ETHEU-MOBO-H81-PRO/Asrock-H81-Pro-BTC.html

better wait 1-2 months amazon say that will have it instock, but your price is better than ebay which is at crazy $189 or higher, i think these are private that know about the huge demand and want to make profit from they sold rig

Jamievs (OP)

View Profile
May 13, 2017, 07:13:19 AM

better wait 1-2 months amazon say that will have it instock, but your price is better than ebay which is at crazy $189 or higher, i think these are private that know about the huge demand and want to make profit from they sold rig

Why wait? if you can mine 2 months earlier you will earn back the price difference anyway..
merlinsbeard

Activity: 66

View Profile
May 13, 2017, 09:58:37 PM

Thanks very much!
forkbomb

Activity: 106

View Profile
May 13, 2017, 11:45:30 PM

For 2000$ I suggest you this configuration :

-Intel Celeron 40$
-ASRock H81 Pro BTC 80$
-SSD 120 Go 40$
-Any gold PSU equal or over 850W ~90-120$
-6x the cheapest RX 570 available (currently MSI Armor) 6x ~170-200$
-6 1x to 16x USB risers 60$
TOTAL : 1410$

For the rest of your money, just start another rig, but with less than 6 GPUs.

Wow great post! I will follow this!

About what I quoted: I think I will follow this advice too, but unfortunately my money don't reflect my wish to start this "adventure"... so my question is: do you think is ok to start with just one gpu and then, when profit starts to come, add more cards? Or is better to wait to have more money and buy all 6 cards?

-----> Earn BTC Easy! <-----
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  

Jump to: