Bitcoin Forum
May 12, 2024, 04:40:20 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: I do a geeky podcast with a friend, finally talked him into a Bitcoin episode  (Read 1599 times)
enmaku (OP)

Activity: 742
Merit: 500

View Profile
April 26, 2013, 05:40:10 PM
Last edit: April 30, 2013, 05:24:11 PM by enmaku

http://codexnerdicus.com/podcast-episode-6-bitcoin/

Update: YouTube, in their infinite wisdom, mis-identified the intro/outro music and threatened me with a copyright violation. I've taken down the video and put up a new copy without the in/out music, sorry it wasn't available for so long.
There are several different types of Bitcoin clients. The most secure are full nodes like Bitcoin Core, which will follow the rules of the network no matter what miners do. Even if every miner decided to create 1000 bitcoins per block, full nodes would stick to the rules and reject those blocks.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
farlack
Legendary

Activity: 1311
Merit: 1000

View Profile
April 26, 2013, 05:53:50 PM

Watching I'm at the part where you're talking about fees. WAY off
High risk is more like 9% with $1 transaction and a 6 month rolling reserve of 10-20%.

Not to big of a deal, I think you said 3%

Making it a more clear choice that high risk merchants should accept btc
enmaku (OP)

View Profile
April 26, 2013, 06:32:03 PM

Watching I'm at the part where you're talking about fees. WAY off
High risk is more like 9% with $1 transaction and a 6 month rolling reserve of 10-20%.

Not to big of a deal, I think you said 3%

Making it a more clear choice that high risk merchants should accept btc

Yeah, the places I worked didn't really do business with merchants that risky so 5% is about where my experience caps out at. I wouldn't doubt they can go that high though and high risk merchants should definitely accept BTC. I think that's why it's seen such high adoption in the adult industry and (at least in my neck of the woods) taxi services.
enmaku (OP)

View Profile
April 26, 2013, 06:33:19 PM

I like this, very good! Keep it up! But one thing you need a bitcoin address on your site now Wink and show your friend how to use them.

Working on it. Dave W is a good guy and he's plenty bright but this is pretty far from his areas of expertise - I think we all know how long it can take to get folks warmed up to this sort of thing. I'm getting there.
enmaku (OP)

View Profile
April 26, 2013, 06:43:45 PM

And the video just got pulled from YouTube for "copyright violation" despite the fact that the intro music is not, in fact, “Sail” by AWOLNATION but a CC-licensed remix thereof crated from CC-licensed samples provided by Red Bull Records themselves for an official Red Bull Records contest for which the results were required to be (wait for it) CC-licensed. A CC-licensed remix, might I add, that I obtained the permission of the author to use and actually paid for. YouTube is getting better by the day, guys…

It's ok, at least there's still the audio version...
Mylon

Activity: 140
Merit: 100

Mining FTW

View Profile
April 27, 2013, 12:04:59 AM

Just listened to the full podcast (LOOOONNGG) and it was Awesome!!!! couple of details were of but the main concept was right on the dot and it was kept simple and easy to listen to. Will definitely recommend it to anyone willing to listen for more than 5 minutes to understand Bitcoin!

"All Your Base Are Belong To Us" by CATS
franky1
Legendary

Activity: 4214
Merit: 4475

View Profile
April 27, 2013, 12:26:50 AM

Just listened to the full podcast (LOOOONNGG) and it was Awesome!!!! couple of details were of but the main concept was right on the dot and it was kept simple and easy to listen to. Will definitely recommend it to anyone willing to listen for more than 5 minutes to understand Bitcoin!
agreed, minor details off but 99.99% great. well worth a listen. i sent a personal message to enmaku to say where the minor point was. it was not a criticism to say the podcast was bad, it was just a way to add more context /info to help the learning experience of all.

life is a learning experience, don't fear someone helping you turn something marvellous into something magnificent.

great work, keep it up, you could be amongst those elite media press representatives using that podcast as an example.

I DO NOT TRADE OR ACT AS ESCROW ON THIS FORUM EVER.
Please do your own research & respect what is written here as both opinion & information gleaned from experience. many people replying with insults but no on-topic content substance, automatically are 'facepalmed' and yawned at
cypherdoc
Legendary

Activity: 1764
Merit: 1002

View Profile
April 27, 2013, 03:51:12 AM

geez david, that was outstanding!

i've read your articles over the years but never realized what a great speaker you are.  incredibly clear thinking and speaking w/o stuttering.  you were able to control your thought processes despite constant interruptions/distractions by a newbie like wolfe.

i thought the guy from Lets Talk Bitcoin was a big step up in the podcast sphere but you are even better.  you're at a Matonis level imo and could be a spokesperson.

congrats!
cypherdoc
Legendary

Activity: 1764
Merit: 1002

View Profile
April 27, 2013, 04:22:40 AM

i tried to leave a comment on your blog but it didn't show up.
Mike Christ
aka snapsunny
Legendary

Activity: 1078
Merit: 1003

View Profile
April 27, 2013, 04:36:35 AM

YouTube is getting better by the day, guys…

YouTube is only doing that because it has to.  You can thank dinosaur government and entertainment industry lobbying for that Grin

Frozenlock

Activity: 434
Merit: 250

View Profile
April 27, 2013, 05:10:17 AM

YouTube is only doing that because it has to.

Does it?
Shouldn't be that hard for Google to move some of its servers in another jurisdiction...
Or even to create another corporation, if needed.
enmaku (OP)

View Profile
April 27, 2013, 05:53:42 AM

i tried to leave a comment on your blog but it didn't show up.

Ah, like a noob I forgot to check discussion settings on WordPress and still had "Comment author must have a previously approved comment" checked.

Your comment has been approved and no one else should need approval now. Thanks for the heads up!
enmaku (OP)

View Profile
April 27, 2013, 05:55:16 AM

YouTube is getting better by the day, guys…

YouTube is only doing that because it has to.  You can thank dinosaur government and entertainment industry lobbying for that Grin

Taking down content when a copyright holder complains is what they *have to do* - auto-scanning the audio of all submitted content and comparing it to a massive library of known copyrighted materials with such poor sensitivity that they mistake a DnB remix of a song for the original... that's something they choose to do.
Mike Christ
aka snapsunny
Legendary

View Profile
April 27, 2013, 05:59:39 AM

YouTube is only doing that because it has to.

Does it?
Shouldn't be that hard for Google to move some of its servers in another jurisdiction...
Or even to create another corporation, if needed.

America's got more presence than you could imagine.  For example: TPB.  Doing fine in Sweden.  Sweden gets its arm twisted by America and its western cohorts.  Suddenly Sweden doesn't like TPB anymore.  The creator's doing unlawful jail time, too.  Since Google likes money, and doesn't like getting on the wrong side of the law, they're going to want to do as America wants.

Otherwise, they wouldn't care.  They have no incentive to uphold someone else's rule at their own expense, outside of legal trouble; arm twisting.  They do not make money by screwing with their users.

Frozenlock

View Profile
April 27, 2013, 06:16:58 AM

Since Google likes money, and doesn't like getting on the wrong side of the law, they're going to want to do as America wants.

So Google doesn't have to, it simply chooses to comply in order to have the path of least resistance.

Imagine if Google was in Sweden. I'm pretty sure they would have an army of lawyers ready to eat up any legal threats from the US.
Mike Christ
aka snapsunny
Legendary

View Profile
April 27, 2013, 06:26:31 AM

Taking down content when a copyright holder complains is what they *have to do* - auto-scanning the audio of all submitted content and comparing it to a massive library of known copyrighted materials with such poor sensitivity that they mistake a DnB remix of a song for the original... that's something they choose to do.

The alternative would be a huge amount of staff, in various languages, to review every single copyright complaint thoroughly to ensure all videos are in proper accordance with local copyright law.  This would be great for creating jobs, but, frankly, this would be extremely expensive.

On another note, I personally completely reject copyright and release all of my creative work under a very loose creative commons license or public domain.  So there's always copyright supporters (in this case, the music industry) to direct general annoyance toward Tongue

So Google doesn't have to, it simply chooses to comply in order to have the path of least resistance.

Imagine if Google was in Sweden. I'm pretty sure they would have an army of lawyers ready to eat up any legal threats from the US.

No, Google doesn't have to, just like I don't have to pay taxes.  It's all a mind game, really.  If Google wanted, they could join me and my rag-tag gang of liberty lovers and go all out on America's oppressive regime Grin  So far, they don't seem all together interested, outside of a dislike of SOPA and CISPA (I could be wrong about CISPA...)  Anyway, we all know what happens down this road, and it's never fun.  It can make life Hell, actually--more than it already is, anyhow.

Frozenlock

View Profile
April 27, 2013, 07:13:38 AM

I know they are not interested, that's the whole point.

The initial argument was that we shouldn't bash on them because they don't have a choice.

They DO have a choice AND they have the resources to defend it.
Mike Christ
aka snapsunny
Legendary

View Profile
April 27, 2013, 07:28:05 AM

I know they are not interested, that's the whole point.

The initial argument was that we shouldn't bash on them because they don't have a choice.

They DO have a choice AND they have the resources to defend it.

Sure, I don't see why not.  If they wanted to shoot themselves in the foot by taking on U.S. copyright, or shell out all the cash to staff the workers required to respond to copyright infringement claims in a timely manner, or attempt to improve their automatic recognition of songs, they could do that.  It's just, Google isn't charging for any of their services, and YouTube's included in that.  They could do anything to improve their current status so as to not piss off their users.  But whatever they do, it will cost them, and that's not something any business wants to do if they can avoid it.

The point I'd like to make is this: if people didn't have a stick up their ass about copyright, Google wouldn't have to worry about it to begin with.  They would be dishing out the cash to put up with someone else's rules.  Should the proponents of copyright not pay Google to enforce the rules they're pushing on them?  If we were to agree that those who want this rule should be the ones who pay for it to happen, then we can also agree that Google's inability to provide a quality auto-song checker is a direct result of copyright advocates wanting their cake and eating it, too.  They want the rule enforced, but don't want to pay for it to be correctly enforced.

Thus, it's not Google's fault that they're providing a shit copyright checker; they didn't have to provide one at all.  If anything, copyright holders should be getting in contact with copyright violators directly, instead of yelling at Google to solve their problems.  Google is merely providing a service and should not be held accountable whatsoever for what another individual does, and yet they are, which leads to the problem we're facing now.

charleshoskinson
Legendary

Activity: 1134
Merit: 1008

CEO of IOHK

View Profile WWW
April 27, 2013, 09:38:00 AM

Is there any chance I could be part of a future podcast to discuss the bitcoin education project and our udemy course?

The revolution begins with the mind and ends with the heart. Knowledge for all, accessible to all and shared by all
enmaku (OP)

View Profile
April 30, 2013, 05:22:39 PM

Finally found the time to re-cut the video without intro/outro music so it's back up: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kXTIN-aPJBQ
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: