Bitcoin Forum
May 09, 2024, 12:11:04 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Using blockchain for for firearms tracking  (Read 563 times)
Vladdirescu87 (OP)

Activity: 966
Merit: 264

View Profile
April 24, 2017, 06:54:09 PM

Blockchain-based systems for firearms tracking could come in handy for the police as they potentially help prevent gang violence and child mortality. However, some state governments think it is unfair to force people to use that technology.

For example, the government of Arizona has developed a bill to prohibit the mandation of firearms tracking using blockchain. They think mandation of smart-gun technology might impose government tyranny upon those who use weapons. Besides, it might be used not only for the prevention of children mortality and gang violence, but for their own purposes.

The full article: https://coinidol.com/firearms-tracking-vs-government-tyranny/

And what do you think about firearms tracking?

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"Bitcoin: mining our own business since 2009" -- Pieter Wuille
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Alexzap

Activity: 84
Merit: 10

View Profile
April 24, 2017, 07:11:56 PM

Once again we see attempts to restrict the freedom of gun ownership. Do it under any pretext. I am against any tightening. I want to remind you that guns do not kill, and people who's weapons guide.
Mometaskers

Activity: 1764
Merit: 584

View Profile
April 25, 2017, 02:14:08 PM

Once again we see attempts to restrict the freedom of gun ownership. Do it under any pretext. I am against any tightening. I want to remind you that guns do not kill, and people who's weapons guide.

Yes guns don't kill but making them easier to acquire could certainly increase the number of bad tomatoes owning them. I don't live in the US but I heard you can even buy guns from WalMart. I was stunned when I first heard about that.

There's no denying America have a gun violence problem. The Swiss, I've heard is just as fierce with their right to own and carry arms but don't have as much problem with it as the US does.

Back to the blockchain tech, this does not necessarily restrict ownership but just make it easier to know who own what and how many. Maybe if teachers or doctors see something troubling with someone, they can check whether that person owns a gun so they can assess the risk that individual presents to others.
Winchester2211

Activity: 59
Merit: 10

View Profile
April 25, 2017, 02:40:00 PM

Yes guns don't kill but making them easier to acquire could certainly increase the number of bad tomatoes owning them. I don't live in the US but I heard you can even buy guns from WalMart. I was stunned when I first heard about that.

There's no denying America have a gun violence problem. The Swiss, I've heard is just as fierce with their right to own and carry arms but don't have as much problem with it as the US does.

Back to the blockchain tech, this does not necessarily restrict ownership but just make it easier to know who own what and how many. Maybe if teachers or doctors see something troubling with someone, they can check whether that person owns a gun so they can assess the risk that individual presents to others.
You forget that with the advent of 3D printers weapons have become even easier to do with their hands. Illegal guns exist in all countries and the problem is only in this. Legal weapon without technology easy to track and is usually not used in crimes.
joshy23

Activity: 1078
Merit: 256

View Profile
April 25, 2017, 03:47:25 PM

Blockchain-based systems for firearms tracking could come in handy for the police as they potentially help prevent gang violence and child mortality. However, some state governments think it is unfair to force people to use that technology.

For example, the government of Arizona has developed a bill to prohibit the mandation of firearms tracking using blockchain. They think mandation of smart-gun technology might impose government tyranny upon those who use weapons. Besides, it might be used not only for the prevention of children mortality and gang violence, but for their own purposes.

Its too bad that the government of Arizona has blocked the used of blockchain technology to track every firearms in the state. I think this will be very advantageous for the police, but the government thinks otherwise. Personally, I want this technology to be apply so that we can track and account every legal weapons out there.
GreenBits
Legendary

Activity: 1148
Merit: 1048

View Profile
April 25, 2017, 05:53:02 PM

This, is fucking genius. But, this should never be a public blockchain. The database of firearm ownership in place is essentially a ledger, the absolute certainty of a blockchain can only improve the efficiency. However, this will do little to prevent illegal hand to hand firearm sales, that aren't recorded. If a gun is stolen from a car, the blockchain is inaccurate until the new owner is identified. Essentially, illegal firearms tend to move illegally; unless there is an accurate black market blockchain, the guns are still floating around in space.
Mometaskers

Activity: 1764
Merit: 584

View Profile
April 26, 2017, 03:55:25 PM

You forget that with the advent of 3D printers weapons have become even easier to do with their hands. Illegal guns exist in all countries and the problem is only in this. Legal weapon without technology easy to track and is usually not used in crimes.

They would probably have to resort to that eventually, once it becomes possible to track every legal firearm and they manage to stop the sales of illegal firearms. I don't live in the US but I suppose most of the illegal firearms there are also made in the country. I wonder if the blockchain technology can stop some unscrupulous people on the manufacturing side from selling firearms illegally.

As for the objection to the blockchain's use, if you buy a gun a record is left anyway and I believe that is public. The blockchain is basically just that but just making the record easier to access.
Wolf2017

Activity: 21
Merit: 0

View Profile
April 26, 2017, 07:17:28 PM

How to register an illegal weapon? Do not you understand that only idiots commit crimes using legal weapons. Vs these idiots will not help any blockchain. You are trying to deal with the problem without understanding its essence.
darkangel11
Legendary

Activity: 2352
Merit: 1345

Defend Bitcoin and its PoW: bitcoincleanup.com

View Profile
April 26, 2017, 09:06:25 PM

To have something to say about firearms tracking I'd first have to be able to get firearms and in EU it's very hard. I think everyone has the right to defend themselves and guns should be made available like they are in the USA.
As for the firearms tracking I'm not against it. I'm not planning to kill anyone and if it happens I'll be ready to face the consequences, so I'd allow them to register and track my weapon if that would make me able to buy it.

███████████████████████████
███████▄████████████▄██████
████████▄████████▄████████
███▀█████▀▄███▄▀█████▀███
█████▀█▀▄██▀▀▀██▄▀█▀█████
███████▄███████████▄███████
███████████████████████████
███████▀███████████▀███████
████▄██▄▀██▄▄▄██▀▄██▄████
████▄████▄▀███▀▄████▄████
██▄███▀▀█▀██████▀█▀███▄███
██▀█▀████████████████▀█▀███