Bitcoin Forum
May 07, 2024, 07:42:31 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: lost blockchain identifier and losing my mind  (Read 3433 times)
aznmonky (OP)

Activity: 70
Merit: 10

View Profile
April 26, 2013, 05:42:56 PM

Recently bitfloor announced it was closing.  I had most my bitcoins in my account so I reacted by beginning to download bitcoin client and while it downloading the chain I made a wallet on blockchain.info. I sent my bitcoins to my wallet. I then went to blockchain but its servers were down ( for roughly ten hours)  once it was back up next day I couldn't log in I had no identifier I have been flipping out for past week and half can someone give me some help or advice

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
scintill

Activity: 448
Merit: 254

View Profile WWW
April 26, 2013, 06:01:14 PM
Last edit: April 26, 2013, 06:24:18 PM by scintill

Did you link an email address?  I think you can recover the ID through email.  Also I understand you can make your own name identifier for your wallet, did you do that?  What browser?  You should probably stop using that browser or you might lose your browsing history which might include the identifier.

Edit: It's probably best to see if you can recover it locally, but if you know the time you created it, blockchain.info can try to find it.  I'm not sure they would, as this could be an elaborate phishing attempt. Wink

1SCiN5kqkAbxxwesKMsH9GvyWnWP5YK2W | donations
aznmonky (OP)

View Profile
April 26, 2013, 06:38:44 PM

I didn't get chance to I simply made a account got the send address and sent and when I tried to log on to check the transaction the server was down. I have support tickets open and also tweeted @blockchain but no response
scintill

View Profile WWW
April 26, 2013, 08:34:05 PM

I didn't get chance to I simply made a account got the send address and sent and when I tried to log on to check the transaction the server was down. I have support tickets open and also tweeted @blockchain but no response

Hmm, well, they would have everything they need to locate it, if you gave them that address (probably available in bitfloor account history), your password, and the approximate time you created the wallet (probably a few minutes before the transaction timestamp.)  That's not safe for you (though what choice do you have at this point?), and not safe for their users, but perhaps you can give them enough evidence to convince them you're really the owner.  I'm thinking of a scenario where someone finds: "blockchain.info wallet password: abc123" on a post-it note but no wallet ID or alias.  This is already a disaster for the wallet owner, but it also seems like blockchain.info should try to not help thieves find the last bit of information they need to steal coins.  No accusations of you, just thinking from a wallet host's perspective and their responsibilities.  Best of luck.

crazy_rabbit
Legendary

Activity: 1204
Merit: 1001

RUM AND CARROTS: A PIRATE LIFE FOR ME

View Profile
April 26, 2013, 08:41:37 PM

you really have nothing else to go on? You should try to do a total backup of your browser history and get some forensic program to dig deep in your browser history. It should be in there somewhere. Good luck.

more or less retired.
scintill

View Profile WWW
April 26, 2013, 09:26:39 PM

you really have nothing else to go on? You should try to do a total backup of your browser history and get some forensic program to dig deep in your browser history. It should be in there somewhere. Good luck.

Good point.  You should really stop using the whole computer if this is any real amount of money; it could be in RAM or in slack space on the disk, too.

If your browser supports it (and even IE8 supposedly does), your wallet GUID (which is the identifier, I believe) gets stored in localStorage (blockchain.info source code), which should have hit the disk at some point.  People more familiar with the blockchain.info wallet or browser support for localStorage might disagree with me, though.

In fact, this is a dumb question but OP didn't explicitly say anything: have you tried just going to the wallet homepage on the computer+browser you created the wallet on?  It should auto-fill the identifier, unless the storage has been cleared or wasn't supported in that browser, or if they've changed how the wallet works in the last 1.5 weeks.

DannyHamilton
Legendary

Activity: 3388
Merit: 4653

View Profile
April 27, 2013, 12:21:45 AM

Hmm, well, they would have everything they need to locate it, if you gave them that address (probably available in bitfloor account history), your password, and the approximate time you created the wallet (probably a few minutes before the transaction timestamp.)  That's not safe for you (though what choice do you have at this point?), and not safe for their users, but perhaps you can give them enough evidence to convince them you're really the owner.  I'm thinking of a scenario where someone finds: "blockchain.info wallet password: abc123" on a post-it note but no wallet ID or alias.  This is already a disaster for the wallet owner, but it also seems like blockchain.info should try to not help thieves find the last bit of information they need to steal coins.  No accusations of you, just thinking from a wallet host's perspective and their responsibilities.  Best of luck.

Be aware:

Please could someone who is admin at blockchain.info look up the address: 14eN94uuxZz39k6tqWszaAiHwF5x5Cv5eE and tell me my identifier. I need it as soon as possible.

It is not possible to lookup wallets by addresses. Please check your browser history and local storage to see if the identifier is logged anywhere. Did you not set an alias or add an email when you signed up?
aznmonky (OP)

View Profile
April 27, 2013, 02:54:02 AM

Yes it is a large amount I have my keywords my time and password just no identifier I am guessing it might have been cleaned via Ccleaner I didn't think it or know that the identifier or log in details relied on client side information . I can provide tons of proof it is me but I wont provide in open thread like this. I made this to grab attention of someone who can provide help
aznmonky (OP)

View Profile
April 27, 2013, 05:49:08 AM

to clarify and add some information. i have made support tickets week ago. i have tried contacting blockchain.info support for days now and am willing and have lots of providing information to prove identity. it was bad luck and timing that the servers went down as i set up a wallet. i never used block chain wallet before until bitfloor announced it was closing. and as i freaked out i quickly sent to blockchain. which turned out to be a wrong decision
aznmonky (OP)

View Profile
April 27, 2013, 08:53:45 PM

bumping topic if anyone can help
aznmonky (OP)

View Profile
April 28, 2013, 06:23:31 PM

bump ticket numbers are Request #5757 Request #5946
aznmonky (OP)

View Profile
April 28, 2013, 07:31:46 PM

ok i am getting responses and slow talk but they are talking
aznmonky (OP)

View Profile
April 28, 2013, 09:32:46 PM

something is wrong. when i made account i must have used my email and information. but when i went through the process again today to see if i could jog my memory it sent me a email. i have no email records of that day when i made my first wallet.
scintill

View Profile WWW
April 29, 2013, 07:09:57 AM

something is wrong. when i made account i must have used my email and information. but when i went through the process again today to see if i could jog my memory it sent me a email. i have no email records of that day when i made my first wallet.

They may have recently changed the setup process to make the email address field more prominent or something, but didn't you say earlier that you did not give your email address when you made the lost wallet?  It is currently optional, so if you skipped it then, you wouldn't have been emailed the link.

It might be sort of "improper" of them to accept (and could make them suspicious of you), but you should consider offering a coin or two to blockchain.info if they can find your wallet.  It is probably going to require some manual work, but if you make it worth their time you might get helped sooner.  Best of luck to you.

aznmonky (OP)

View Profile
April 29, 2013, 08:05:27 PM

They may have recently changed the setup process to make the email address field more prominent or something, but didn't you say earlier that you did not give your email address when you made the lost wallet?  It is currently optional, so if you skipped it then, you wouldn't have been emailed the link.

It might be sort of "improper" of them to accept (and could make them suspicious of you), but you should consider offering a coin or two to blockchain.info if they can find your wallet.  It is probably going to require some manual work, but if you make it worth their time you might get helped sooner.  Best of luck to you.

i been talking to them in support zendesk. i have not escalated to offering coins. though with the amount of money i would be losing and almost jumping off a cliff , if they offered something like that i would take it.
aznmonky (OP)

View Profile
April 29, 2013, 10:05:16 PM

UPDATE:

They have proven successful and returned my bitcoins.!
scintill

View Profile WWW
April 29, 2013, 10:43:21 PM

UPDATE:

They have proven successful and returned my bitcoins.!

Awesome, glad to hear it. Smiley

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: