Bitcoin Forum
June 21, 2024, 06:37:35 PM *
News: Voting for pizza day contest

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 [3] 4 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Breaking News: Satoshi sighted as member of "the Foundation"  (Read 7963 times)
kjj
Legendary

Activity: 1302
Merit: 1025

View Profile
April 28, 2013, 03:52:43 AM

So, if i understand correctly, half of you are saying it's completely okay to incorporate in the US with pseudonymous and not undersigned entities listed as Founding Members? And handwave it "oh, they are just honorary"?

U.S.  law has absolutely no concept of "founding members", nor of "members".  Corporations have owners (shareholders) *, directors (the board, typically elected by the owners) and officers (president, CEO, CFO, etc, typically appointed by the board).

In the US, corporations are typically formed as shells with generic bylaws by people that specialize in such things,   I have no idea if the foundation was filed that way, or directly.  Doesn't matter even a tiny little bit either way.

The foundation board is divided into classes for various reasons, for example, to ensure that the entire board isn't corporate members.  This is pretty common for nonprofit entities.

Being listed as a founding member means two things.  First, if he steps forward to claim his membership, he won't need to pay any dues.  Second, if he wishes to be on the board, it will be very easy for him to do so.

As usual, this is a pure troll thread, caused not by an evil conspiracy to control bitcoin, but by a too-tight tinfoil hat.

*  Nonprofits are an odd exception to this.  They don't have owners or shareholders, they have stakeholders.  Read that again.  No owners.  Or, owned by everyone, if you prefer to see it that way.  Since there are no owners, the bylaws indicate how the board is elected.

17Np17BSrpnHCZ2pgtiMNnhjnsWJ2TMqq8
I routinely ignore posters with paid advertising in their sigs.  You should too.
mcdett

Activity: 157
Merit: 100

View Profile
April 28, 2013, 03:59:16 AM

As usual, this is a pure troll thread, caused not by an evil conspiracy to control bitcoin, but by a too-tight tinfoil hat.

Not so.  If they desire to be transparent they'll produce the legally executed articles of incorporation.  They could legally assign ownership to an individual that provides a key, but why wouldn't they produce the signed agreement?

They need to let us know how transparent they want to be!
drakahn

Activity: 504
Merit: 500

View Profile
April 28, 2013, 04:03:46 AM

As a founding member of  THE BITCOIN FOUNDATION, INC. he may have signed the by-laws. In the interest of full transparency THE BITCOIN FOUNDATION, INC. should post a scan of the original by-laws or provide us with an explanation why he was appointed without his consent.

Agree.

This makes sense and needs to be addressed!
I've never cared one way or the other about the foundations existence, but I would like to hear from one of them about Satoshi's place as a founder, If it is honorary just say that

14ga8dJ6NGpiwQkNTXg7KzwozasfaXNfEU
kjj
Legendary

Activity: 1302
Merit: 1025

View Profile
April 28, 2013, 04:17:40 AM

Not so.  If they desire to be transparent they'll produce the legally executed articles of incorporation.  They could legally assign ownership to an individual that provides a key, but why wouldn't they produce the signed agreement?

They need to let us know how transparent they want to be!

You "do contracts all the time"?  That must be hard for a guy that apparently can't read.

There is no ownership.  That means that there was no "legally assign ownership" either.  Members are not owners.  You seem to have missed that in my previous post.  Is bold enough, or should I change the font size too?

At least you have stopped thinking that corporations are created by contract.  You may get your merit badge in internet lawyering yet.

17Np17BSrpnHCZ2pgtiMNnhjnsWJ2TMqq8
I routinely ignore posters with paid advertising in their sigs.  You should too.
Jackin Jill

Activity: 61
Merit: 10

Don't try to look tough Dollface

View Profile
April 28, 2013, 05:24:39 AM

Cited, not sighted.

But I'm excited that you sighted the citation.
BorderBits

Activity: 275
Merit: 250

View Profile
April 28, 2013, 05:32:53 AM

Ha! OP's thread shows how "decentralized" BTC is.  Too funny. 
mindtomatter

Activity: 434
Merit: 254

Editor-in-Chief of Let's Talk Bitcoin!

View Profile WWW
April 29, 2013, 01:32:23 AM

I pointed Jon Matonis to this thread and asked for comment, as he is a founding member of the Bitcoin Foundation

Here's what he said:
Satoshi was added as a courtesy It would have been more arrogant to exclude Satoshi as his designated heir to development was also a founding member. If requested to, I'm sure it wouldn't be a problem to remove.

I don't think there's anything to get upset about here, just a symbolic move.  Keep in mind The Bitcoin Foundation has no formal standing, it's just a joint effort by early pillars within the community to centralize some of the attention to better address it, and to help target development.   They have no real power besides who their members are and what they voluntarily do (except Gavin, who is paid to develop)

Let's Talk Bitcoin! Interviews, News & Analysis released Tuesdays and Saturdays
http://www.LetsTalkBitcoin.com - Listener Mail -> adam@letstalkbitcoin.com
JaredR26

Activity: 219

View Profile
April 29, 2013, 03:01:02 AM

I pointed Jon Matonis to this thread and asked for comment, as he is a founding member of the Bitcoin Foundation

Here's what he said:
Satoshi was added as a courtesy It would have been more arrogant to exclude Satoshi as his designated heir to development was also a founding member. If requested to, I'm sure it wouldn't be a problem to remove.

I don't think there's anything to get upset about here, just a symbolic move.  Keep in mind The Bitcoin Foundation has no formal standing, it's just a joint effort by early pillars within the community to centralize some of the attention to better address it, and to help target development.   They have no real power besides who their members are and what they voluntarily do (except Gavin, who is paid to develop)

tl;dr: Much ado about nothing.
BitCoinDream
Legendary

Activity: 2338
Merit: 1204

The revolution will be digital

View Profile
March 24, 2014, 12:04:18 PM

Satoshi has been sighted! He is now a member of "the Foundation" otherwise known as THE BITCOIN FOUNDATION, INC.

ARTICLE III - MEMBERSHIP

Section 3.1 Membership Classes: The Corporation will have three classes of membership:

(a) Founding Members;

(b) Industry Members; and

(c) Individual Members.

The term "member" may be used to refer generically to a member in any class.

Section 3.2 Membership Qualifications: The requirements for membership in each membership class shall be as follows:

(a) Founding Members. The Founding Members of the Corporation shall be:

i. Gavin Andresen, Bitcoin Developer residing or doing business in Amherst, MA, USA.

ii. Peter Vessenes, CEO of CoinLab and residing or doing business in Bainbridge Island, WA, USA.

iii. Charles Shrem, CEO of BitInstant residing or doing business in Brooklyn, NY, USA.

iv. Roger Ver, CEO of MemoryDealers residing or doing business in Santa Clara, CA, USA.

v. Patrick Murck, Principal at Engage Legal, PLLC residing or doing business in Washington, DC, USA.

vi. Mark Karpeles, CEO of MtGox.com and residing or doing business in Tokyo, Japan.

vii. Satoshi Nakamoto, at satoshin@gmx.com, author of the white paper “Bitcoin: A Peer-to-Peer Electronic Cash System” published on http://bitcoin.org and owner of the PGP Public Key with fingerprint: 5EC948A1.

As a founding member of  THE BITCOIN FOUNDATION, INC. he may have signed the by-laws. In the interest of full transparency THE BITCOIN FOUNDATION, INC. should post a scan of the original by-laws or provide us with an explanation why he was appointed without his consent.

Please post on Twitter, Facebook and other social media. Let's get the word out.

THE BITCOIN FOUNDATION, INC. is scrambling and covering up to bury this story by relegating the most important revelation since the genesis block as deeply as they could in these forums:
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=188177.0

Just stumbled upon this awesome fact. A year ago Bitcoin Foundation had more reliability and then they were doing this !!!

rayfloyd

Activity: 140

View Profile
March 24, 2014, 01:16:13 PM

Here's what he said:

/thread

AnonyMint

Activity: 518
Merit: 521

View Profile
March 24, 2014, 02:17:53 PM
Last edit: March 24, 2014, 02:40:01 PM by AnonyMint

I'm utterly convinced, however, that if Satoshi returned today under a new username and posted his opinions on the current state of Bitcoin a shitload of people would tell him that he "doesn't understand" Bitcoin and what it's "supposed" to be.

And how do you know it isn't me?

unheresy.com - Prodigiously Elucidating the Profoundly ObtuseTHIS FORUM ACCOUNT IS NO LONGER ACTIVE
OnkelPaul
Legendary

Activity: 1039
Merit: 1004

View Profile
March 24, 2014, 02:23:07 PM

And how do you it isn't me?

Because that sentence no verb.

And Satoshi seems to have an excellent command of english, so you can't be him. Q.E.D.

Onkel Paul

BitCoinDream
Legendary

View Profile
March 24, 2014, 02:26:24 PM

And Satoshi seems to have an excellent command of english, so you can't be him. Q.E.D.

Onkel Paul

OMG ...Excelent  Cheesy

OnkelPaul
Legendary

View Profile
March 24, 2014, 02:36:38 PM

OMG ...Excelent  Cheesy

<grammar-nazi>
The word is spelled "excellent".
</grammar-nazi>

You aren't Satoshi either. 2 down, 297518 to go...

Onkel Paul

AnonyMint

View Profile
March 24, 2014, 02:40:46 PM

Deleting words from what I wrote is a sign of desperation.

unheresy.com - Prodigiously Elucidating the Profoundly ObtuseTHIS FORUM ACCOUNT IS NO LONGER ACTIVE
BitCoinDream
Legendary

View Profile
March 24, 2014, 02:44:34 PM

OMG ...Excelent  Cheesy

<grammar-nazi>
The word is spelled "excellent".
</grammar-nazi>

You aren't Satoshi either. 2 down, 297518 to go...

Onkel Paul

Google chrome thinks this spelling is correct. And I'm NOT Satoshi. I am Bitcoin Dream Grin

OnkelPaul
Legendary

View Profile
March 24, 2014, 02:54:13 PM

Google chrome thinks this spelling is correct. And I'm NOT Satoshi. I am Bitcoin Dream Grin

Educate chrome somewhat and show him this link: http://www.dumbtionary.com/word/excelent.shtml

Thanks for confirming that you are not Satoshi - this shows the power of the scientific method once again!

Onkel Paul

DannyHamilton
Legendary

Activity: 3430
Merit: 4669

View Profile
March 24, 2014, 03:01:36 PM

Thanks for confirming that you are not Satoshi - this shows the power of the scientific method once again!

Onkel Paul

Interesting process.

On the other hand, it's well known that Satoshi guarded his privacy and anonymity. As such, it is entirely possible that he would intentionally use poor grammar while posting under an alternative username to keep others from realizing who he actually is.
AnonyMint

View Profile
March 24, 2014, 03:08:02 PM
Last edit: March 24, 2014, 03:30:34 PM by AnonyMint

There is so much dick in the Bitcoin space, I can almost taste it am afraid to swallow.   Lips sealed

First of all Bitcoin (as it currently stands unless morphed as I say above) will be limited to reasonably affluent, white males mostly under age 50. Thus figure the upper limit of adoption is several hundred million. Note NE Asians are white.

BitOnyx

Activity: 112
Merit: 10

Cryptocurrencies Exchange

View Profile WWW
March 24, 2014, 03:27:45 PM

Interesting topic. It fits great recent drama related to Satoshi.

Pages: « 1 2 [3] 4 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: