Bitcoin Forum
May 12, 2024, 10:09:47 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Am I late to the PPCoin party? (mining/price question)  (Read 1843 times)
begining_summer (OP)

Activity: 30
Merit: 0

View Profile
April 26, 2013, 10:11:03 PM

Hi!

Does it make sense to buy 1300$ miner machine (i.e. 25 GH/s Bitcoin Miner) to mine PPCoin?

Or am I too late to the party?

Thanks!

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
According to NIST and ECRYPT II, the cryptographic algorithms used in Bitcoin are expected to be strong until at least 2030. (After that, it will not be too difficult to transition to different algorithms.)
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
Remember remember the 5th of November
Legendary

Activity: 1862
Merit: 1011

Reverse engineer from time to time

View Profile
April 26, 2013, 10:14:19 PM

If you are talking about the BFL Single that does 25gh/s, it's not even confirmed they will ship let alone making plans to buy. PPcoin can be mined with power or without. Yep, you don't need any mining power to mine PPcoins so long as you actually have some amount and let them age more than 31-32 days.

BTC:1AiCRMxgf1ptVQwx6hDuKMu4f7F27QmJC2
begining_summer (OP)

View Profile
April 26, 2013, 10:55:11 PM

If you are talking about the BFL Single that does 25gh/s, it's not even confirmed they will ship let alone making plans to buy. PPcoin can be mined with power or without. Yep, you don't need any mining power to mine PPcoins so long as you actually have some amount and let them age more than 31-32 days.

I.e. I just can buy PPCoins at the exchange and just ... hold them. Right?
Should I be online all that time?

As I understand from PPCoin FAQ I will get 1% reward per year.
It's not so much...
Remember remember the 5th of November
Legendary

Activity: 1862
Merit: 1011

Reverse engineer from time to time

View Profile
April 26, 2013, 10:56:28 PM

It's not so much...
You don't need to be online, not now at least. According to the information, the older the coins, the more you get per a PoS block. How hard it is to mine a PoS block(which is automatic and requires no actual mining on your side) is unknown to me.

BTC:1AiCRMxgf1ptVQwx6hDuKMu4f7F27QmJC2
No_2

Activity: 901
Merit: 1033

BTC: the beginning of stake-based public resources

View Profile
April 26, 2013, 11:02:13 PM

It's not so much...

I think with any cryptocurrency you are mining you have to look at it from two perspectives:

1. Are you mining it to make a quick buck because you think PPC has an edge over other cryptocurrencies or;
2. Are you mining it because you agree with it's ethos and want to work with it and help it achieve wider adoption?

Both will provide you 'value' but what are your personal needs and objectives?

Personally I want to try out a number of different economic models and PPC is sufficiently differentiated that I've invested some of my time and money into it. Either way the exercise will have been of value to me.
begining_summer (OP)

View Profile
April 26, 2013, 11:13:17 PM

You don't need to be online, not now at least. According to the information, the older the coins, the more you get per a PoS block. How hard it is to mine a PoS block(which is automatic and requires no actual mining on your side) is unknown to me.

In other words, that means - buy and hold for a long time Smiley

So PoW mining doesn't make sense anymore.

My objective is investing in curious things Smiley
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: