Bitcoin Forum
April 25, 2024, 09:49:01 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: [RELEASE] Portable Bitcoin Client (for USB use!)  (Read 9102 times)
Aresdos (OP)

Activity: 34
Merit: 0

View Profile
June 18, 2011, 08:05:26 AM
Last edit: September 09, 2012, 06:35:03 AM by Aresdos

So all night I've been searching for a portable bitcoin wallet client for my USB drive, and the closest I was to getting that was the shortcut/batch solution...
So I tried the batch solution, did some tweaking, and now I've made a .exe file that will open your bitcoin client and save in a, more portable, data directory. I organized it a bit as well so that it is easier to just copy the folder from the zip and go. Wink

I thought this would be a perfect way to introduce my name into the Bitcoin community, especially since I already saw a post asking for something for this: http://forum.bitcoin.org/?topic=809.0

Anyways, have fun and I hope you all enjoy it! Cheesy

(And just a small note... You really gotta read the README just to be safe...) Shocked

Download Links
- Current Release -
Version 1.4.0: BitcoinPortable_v1.4.0_(r0.6.3).zip - 11.39 MB

- Older Releases -
Version 1.3.1: BitcoinPortable_v1.3.1.zip - 6.99 MB
Version 1.3: BitcoinPortable_v1.3.zip - 6.99 MB
Version 1.2: BitcoinPortable_v1.2.zip - 6.44 MB
Version 1.1: BitcoinPortable_v1.1.zip - 6.43 MB
Version 1.0: BitcoinPortable_v1.0.zip - 6.43 MB

Update Information
Version 1.4.0: Fixed for Bitcoin-QT and upgraded to version 0.6.3.
Version 1.3.1: Updated README with an important disclaimer for the Wallet Manager.
Version 1.3: Updated kit, added "data" folder to assure that the wallet data is created properly. Added "Wallet Manager" to easily copy a wallet between standard Bitcoin Clients and the Portable Bitcoin Client.
Version 1.2: Newer conversion & compilation program, the Bitcoin Launcher now starts up in half the time or better.
Version 1.1: Cleaned up files into a single executable with a single portable folder. It seems easier to copy 2 things as opposed to 4.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"The nature of Bitcoin is such that once version 0.1 was released, the core design was set in stone for the rest of its lifetime." -- Satoshi
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
enhance25

Activity: 2

View Profile
June 18, 2011, 09:00:03 AM

Probably not safe.
Aresdos (OP)

View Profile
June 18, 2011, 09:29:57 AM

Lol, then try with a new PC, safe environment or whatever?  Tongue
I swear, I really hope you guys are smart enough to know how to test stuff xD
If not, I'll just lmao and give you a tutorial on that TOO..  Grin
Coinographer

Activity: 10

View Profile
June 18, 2011, 09:39:01 AM

Case is, that if it isn't official People feel very unsafe about how it's handled. The program could have some inserted frauds etc.

I, myself don't need it and i have no clue how it can be tested to be clean.

Otherwise nice contribution.
Aresdos (OP)

View Profile
June 18, 2011, 10:00:12 AM

Case is, that if it isn't official People feel very unsafe about how it's handled. The program could have some inserted frauds etc.

I, myself don't need it and i have no clue how it can be tested to be clean.

Otherwise nice contribution.

Thanks, I worked my butt off all night on it...
Also, you can test by getting a packet checker (or even regular virus software) and scan what the program does... I honestly don't have the time to program anything mischevious, especially this late at night lol...
Still, I hope people find a good use for it...
It only has a tiny handful of unofficial files, the rest are a direct copy from the newest release.
The only different thing is mine has a launcher (so it'll load the specific data file) and it has a readme so no one accidentally makes a separate data file, lol Tongue
Athenus

Activity: 7

View Profile
June 18, 2011, 11:02:21 AM

You should publish the source code of the .exe you made, otherwise it's way too time consuming the verify it's legal. The only way to test it now is by reverse engineering your code, verify everything, double check it doesn't make connections to the internet, etc. Very few people can do this, even "normal" programmers probability won't be able to verify it 100%. So yeah, this shouldn't be trused.

Again, release the source code so we can review it and compile it ourselves.
bullox

Activity: 131
Merit: 100

View Profile
June 18, 2011, 11:07:37 AM

You should publish the source code of the .exe you made, otherwise it's way too time consuming the verify it's legal. The only way to test it now is by reverse engineering your code, verify everything, double check it doesn't make connections to the internet, etc. Very few people can do this, even "normal" programmers probability won't be able to verify it 100%. So yeah, this shouldn't be trused.

Again, release the source code so we can review it and compile it ourselves.
This x 1000

Otherwise its just another homeless guy on the street asking to inspect your wallets contents.  Seems legit right?
nuclearstar

Activity: 18

View Profile
June 18, 2011, 11:23:43 AM

indeed source code MUST be published before you can even expect anyone to test out your program.
Aresdos (OP)

View Profile
June 18, 2011, 07:39:37 PM

Lol, you're all so touchy about it... Okay, here's the source:

Code:
BitcoinFiles\bitcoin.exe -datadir=.\data

Surprised that it's batch? If you read the README then you would have learned that, lol.

I have a program that compiles batch to exe and it's perfect for making this thing work like a charm  Grin
Aresdos (OP)

View Profile
June 19, 2011, 05:34:49 AM

Okay, I just updated the Portable Bitcoin Client (PBC) from version 1.0 to 1.1, now it's less clutter for copying and moving. Woot.  Wink
Aresdos (OP)

View Profile
June 21, 2011, 12:28:17 AM

I almost forgot...
If anyone finds any bugs, just let me know and I'll do my best to fix what I can.  Cheesy
Aresdos (OP)

View Profile
June 21, 2011, 01:11:12 AM

Thanks!   Grin
And yeah, I just updated it to 1.2 cause I got tired of the slow startup speeds... I made it more than twice as fast.. *happy face*
And hmm, win-rar? Sounds like it's worth looking into... And glad to see great minds think alike haha ^^
gangstarasp

Activity: 26

View Profile WWW
June 21, 2011, 01:24:06 AM

sounds like a good idea, just need more safe checking into the code and reps from people.
Aresdos (OP)

View Profile
June 21, 2011, 01:30:43 AM

sounds like a good idea, just need more safe checking into the code and reps from people.

Yeah, the code for the bitcoin launcher is batch, so it's very simplistic...
Code:
Start BitcoinPortable\Bitcoin\bitcoin.exe -datadir=.\BitcoinPortable\data

As stated above, I just convert the batch to exe and try to find ways to make it easier to execute.
I use a program that runs the batch file through UPX and a few other programs to make it what it is now, it makes the creation of it as easy as Pi. (Cause I hate Pie)
I mean, if it would make people happier, I could record myself showing the source code, compiling and all, but then what's the point? lol
BitBuster

Activity: 101
Merit: 10

View Profile
June 21, 2011, 01:45:45 AM

Regardless, post the source so that people are able to inspect and compile (and if they feel like it, improve/customize) it themselves. Not posting source code, however small, is a massive alarm bell.

Is it a rule of the forum that alternative clients must have source attached? If not then perhaps it should be.

BB.
mike85123

Activity: 196
Merit: 100

View Profile
June 21, 2011, 01:47:26 AM

what happens if you lose your USB drive? I am sure most people have lost one or two..
SomeoneWeird

Activity: 700
Merit: 500

View Profile
June 21, 2011, 01:55:25 AM

So all night I've been searching for a portable bitcoin wallet client for my USB drive, and the closest I was to getting that was the shortcut/batch solution...
So I tried the batch solution, did some tweaking, and now I've made a .exe file that will open your bitcoin client and save in a, more portable, data directory. I organized it a bit as well so that it is easier to just copy the folder from the zip and go. Wink

I thought this would be a perfect way to introduce my name into the Bitcoin community, especially since I already saw a post asking for something for this: http://forum.bitcoin.org/?topic=809.0

Anyways, have fun and I hope you all enjoy it! Cheesy

(And just a small note... You really gotta read the README just to be safe...) Shocked

Download Links
- Current Release -
Version 1.2: BitcoinPortable_v1.2.zip - 6.44 MB

- Older Releases -
Version 1.1: BitcoinPortable_v1.1.zip - 6.43 MB
Version 1.0: BitcoinPortable_v1.0.zip - 6.43 MB

Update Information
Version 1.2: Newer conversion & compilation program, the Bitcoin Launcher now starts up in half the time or better.
Version 1.1: Cleaned up files into a single executable with a single portable folder. It seems easier to copy 2 things as opposed to 4.

Either post the source or PM it to me or this is getting locked.
Aresdos (OP)

View Profile
June 21, 2011, 03:28:28 AM

Either post the source or PM it to me or this is getting locked.

Lol, there's your PM... I don't understand how a group of people can see two source codes and still think it's fake?
Simple, the above source code + batch compiler = program.  Cheesy
film2240
Legendary

Activity: 1022
Merit: 1000

Freelance videographer

View Profile WWW
July 14, 2011, 09:22:18 AM

Probably not safe.
I ran a virus/malware scan and its all clear for me.Hope this helps.If in doubt,either don't run it or run in a virtual machine or sandbox app.

[This signature is available for rent.BTC/ETH/LTC or £50 equivalent a month]
Aresdos (OP)

View Profile
July 14, 2011, 08:56:35 PM

Probably not safe.
I ran a virus/malware scan and its all clear for me.Hope this helps.If in doubt,either don't run it or run in a virtual machine or sandbox app.
Thanks for sharing the info, I was about to just delete the topic cause no one cared much for it lol..  Tongue
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: