Bitcoin Forum
August 27, 2024, 01:21:46 PM *
News: All versions of Windows are affected by a critical security bug; make sure you update.

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Q: How often do full nodes reboot? How often do they go offline?  (Read 1655 times)
1t0ph20 (OP)

Activity: 16
Merit: 7

View Profile
April 25, 2017, 08:06:45 PM
Merited by ABCbits (1)

Hi. I was wondering if anyone has a rough idea how often full nodes reboot and/or how often they go offline for some amount of time (long enough to where they have to get blocks from peers and add to their blockchain)?

Is it common for a full node to be offline for an hour? a week? month? (and then download the latest blocks)

Thanks!
cr1776
Legendary

Activity: 4144
Merit: 1307

View Profile
April 25, 2017, 09:42:35 PM
Last edit: April 26, 2017, 01:59:47 PM by cr1776

Hi. I was wondering if anyone has a rough idea how often full nodes reboot and/or how often they go offline for some amount of time (long enough to where they have to get blocks from peers and add to their blockchain)?

Is it common for a full node to be offline for an hour? a week? month? (and then download the latest blocks)

Thanks!

It varies by the node. Mine may be unavailable for a few seconds every so often when restarting bitcoind after building an update.  Other people's nodes may be down for hours, days or weeks for a variety of reasons - connectivity issues, hardware issues, etc.

Jet Cash
Legendary

Activity: 2772
Merit: 2466

https://JetCash.com

View Profile WWW
April 26, 2017, 08:48:28 AM

I've got two nodes. One is on Ubuntu, and I update every two or three days. The other is on Windows 10, and I update that daily. They are for personal use, so they are usually taken offline an hour or so after updating is completed.

Offgrid campers allow you to enjoy life and preserve your health and wealth.
Save old Cars - my project to save old cars from scrapage schemes, and to reduce the sale of new cars.
My new Bitcoin transfer address is - bc1q9gtz8e40en6glgxwk4eujuau2fk5wxrprs6fys
spin

Activity: 362
Merit: 262

View Profile
April 26, 2017, 10:20:29 AM
Merited by ABCbits (1)

You should be able to get an idea by comparing snapshots at https://bitnodes.21.co/api/

They scan the network every now and then and list reachable nodes.  By checking various snapshots and comparing IPs you might get a sense of how often nodes are available at specified ips.  The only issue is that you may get nodes that stay-up but change IPs.  So technically you'd be counting nodes that reboot/go offline and/or change ips or some weird combination of that.

You can also look at their leaderboard:
https://bitnodes.21.co/nodes/leaderboard/

You'd be interested in DU, WU and MU which is the daily/weekly/monthly uptime of nodes by IP.   The top nodes on their leaderboard are all sitting pretty much at 99% uptime on monthly basis.

If you liked this post buy me a beer.  Beers are quite cheap where I live!
bc1q707guwp9pc73r08jw23lvecpywtazjjk399daa
ranochigo
Legendary

Activity: 3038
Merit: 4418

Crypto Swap Exchange

View Profile
April 26, 2017, 01:44:39 PM

It isn't uncommon for them to reboot since some full nodes are ran on home desktop computers and they can be switched off when they are not in use. Even if you go offline for an hour, you still need to query your peers to get the latest blocks.

Thanks!
Most full nodes that are used to support the network never goes offline unless necessary. They are ran on servers in data centers that would be online all the time. Normal users mostly uses SPV client, speaking from what I've observed.

█▀▀▀

█▄▄▄
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
e
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
█████████████
████████████▄███
██▐███████▄█████▀
█████████▄████▀
███▐████▄███▀
████▐██████▀
█████▀█████
███████████▄
████████████▄
██▄█████▀█████▄
▄█████████▀█████▀
███████████▀██▀
████▀█████████
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
c.h.
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
▀▀▀█

▄▄▄█
▄██████▄▄▄
█████████████▄▄
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███░░█████████
███▌▐█████████
█████████████
███████████▀
██████████▀
████████▀
▀██▀▀
DannyHamilton
Legendary

Activity: 3472
Merit: 4790

View Profile
April 26, 2017, 01:54:58 PM

I run multiple full nodes.  They are up and online for anywhere from 10 minutes to 7 days at a time, and they are taken offline and shut down for anywhere from 8 hours to 60 days at a time.

So, that would mean:

Best case: Online for 7 days, offline and shut down for 8 hours, repeat.

Worst case: Online for 10 minutes, offline and shut down for 60 days, repeat.

Realistically, it's much more random than that depending on what I'm doing with the node.
ScripterRon

Activity: 136
Merit: 120

View Profile
April 27, 2017, 11:43:00 AM

My node is up 24/7 except for the first day of each month when I shutdown my VPS for backup and software updates.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: