Bitcoin Forum
June 14, 2024, 07:04:55 AM *
News: Voting for pizza day contest

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Namecoin and Bitcoin value are now equal (based on difficulty)  (Read 4588 times)
xanatos (OP)

Activity: 42
Merit: 0

View Profile
June 18, 2011, 08:13:00 AM

Difficulty of Bitcoin: 877227
Difficulty of Namecoin: 55882

Value of a Namecoin (from https://exchange.bitparking.com/main): around 0.060-0.063

Theoretical value of a Namecoin in BTC based on difficulty: 0.0637

So at this point mining for Namecoin will give the same result as mining for BTC.
Justsomeforumuser

Activity: 84
Merit: 10

View Profile
June 18, 2011, 09:35:07 AM

Took less than 10 days from a post that appeared here mentioning it was more efficient doing namecoins.

The horny "I can has ghash all for mes" farming community has humped both mining endeavours into low digit reward death successfully.

Ho-Hum.
Vladimir

Activity: 812
Merit: 1001

-

View Profile
June 18, 2011, 09:39:02 AM

That's why I did not even bother to start mining namecoins . It was obvious that arbitragers will even thing out quickly and it is so much simpler to just continue mining bitcoins than mess with all the namecoin thing (unless you really want those namecoins).

-
ben-abuya

Activity: 323
Merit: 250

View Profile WWW
June 18, 2011, 10:00:46 AM

This is interesting though. Will we see a stable bitcoin/namecoin exchange rate from now on?

http://lamassubtc.com/
Lamassu Bitcoin Ventures
zpinto

Activity: 58
Merit: 0

View Profile
June 18, 2011, 10:18:36 AM

Isnt there a calculator, where i can see how many namecoins i mine in 24h with current difficulty? Something like deepbit has, because i still think it's more profitable to mine namecoins.
Rodyland

Activity: 499
Merit: 500

View Profile
June 18, 2011, 01:54:48 PM

In my mind, the profitability in mining namecoins comes from the future increases in price.

Assuming the namecoin:btc price follows the namecoin:btc difficulty, then with increased hashing power going into namecoin to chase the "easy money" (assumption) then the namecoin:btc ratio will get closer to 1:1 than it is now (about 15:1).

Which means that priced in btc, namecoins will get more expensive.  Making them worth diverting a few MHash.   Not to mention that namecoins actually "do something", giving them an extrinsic value that should (in theory) drive their usage and growth.

That's my theory, will be interesting to see how it plays out.

Beware the weak hands!
1NcL6Mjm4qeiYYi2rpoCtQopPrH4PyKfUC
GPG ID: E3AA41E3
grod

Activity: 154
Merit: 100

View Profile
June 18, 2011, 02:28:06 PM

Bingo.  Mining namecoins was a way to get in closer to the top of that pyramid while there was a huge difficulty vs payout gap.   

Now that the diffuculty in computing either is the same the additional risk of being invested in namecoins outweighs the benefits and I'm be converting the namecoins I mined to bitcoins.
JohnDoe

Activity: 392

View Profile
June 18, 2011, 03:24:32 PM

Now that the diffuculty in computing either is the same the additional risk of being invested in namecoins outweighs the benefits and I'm be converting the namecoins I mined to bitcoins.

What is the additional risk of namecoin?
grod

Activity: 154

View Profile
June 18, 2011, 03:28:21 PM

Namecoins are a clone of bitcoins with narrower adoption.  Their marginal utility of alternate DNS is more than offset by not having an established ecosystem like bitcoins.  The same risks bitcoins faced earlier on are there for namecoins.

The only way to buy and sell namecoins is through bitcoins, they are tied to the fortunes of bitcoin. 

TL;DR all the risks of bitcoins are doubled if you go with namecoins.
Jack of Diamonds

Activity: 252
Merit: 251

View Profile
June 18, 2011, 04:04:48 PM

Namecoin doesn't work on the "real" internet.

To invent a random demonstrating number, 99.9% of people are not willing to set up a browser to use a separate DNS server, or even bother to change their DNS in Windows, to access some .bit sites.

Usability is more important than domain seizures to the overwhelming majority of the world's web surfers.
Namecoin is made with the domain owner's protection in mind. What about visitors? How many average people will tweak with settings just to access some domain subset?

Whereas anyone with a normal internet connection, Linux, Windows, Mac, can open a bitcoin wallet within a minute or less or recieve payments.

Few people want to buy something that gives you a domain not accessible by anyone besides a few thousand people in the world.

1f3gHNoBodYw1LLs3ndY0UanYB1tC0lnsBec4USeYoU9AREaCH34PBeGgAR67fx
grue
Legendary

Activity: 2058
Merit: 1431

View Profile
June 18, 2011, 04:08:40 PM

Isnt there a calculator, where i can see how many namecoins i mine in 24h with current difficulty? Something like deepbit has, because i still think it's more profitable to mine namecoins.
http://www.alloscomp.com/bitcoin/calculator.php
replace difficulty with the one you get from namecoind getdifficulty

It is pitch black. You are likely to be eaten by a grue.

Adblock for annoying signature ads | Enhanced Merit UI
nemo

Activity: 500
Merit: 253

View Profile
June 18, 2011, 10:47:31 PM

If namecoin has a 21 million coin cap like bitcoin, then namecoin will eat bitcoin eventually and there will be alot of angry people about that.
JohnDoe

View Profile
June 18, 2011, 11:02:27 PM

To invent a random demonstrating number, 99.9% of people are not willing to set up a browser to use a separate DNS server, or even bother to change their DNS in Windows, to access some .bit sites.

You don't have to, you can access .bit sites through normal DNS servers using resolvers like bitname.org or namecoin.us.
Jack of Diamonds

Activity: 252
Merit: 251

View Profile
June 18, 2011, 11:32:29 PM

You don't have to, you can access .bit sites through normal DNS servers using resolvers like bitname.org or namecoin.us.

Quote from: Bitname.org admin
while i believe in a free and distributed dns, i also need to abide to local laws. therefore, i will block names if i'm legally required to do so.

Wikileaks is blocked for one.. Instant failure.

1f3gHNoBodYw1LLs3ndY0UanYB1tC0lnsBec4USeYoU9AREaCH34PBeGgAR67fx
nemo

Activity: 500
Merit: 253

View Profile
June 18, 2011, 11:34:40 PM

Can't you just register your DNS through the client?
foggyb
Legendary

Activity: 1694
Merit: 1006

View Profile
June 18, 2011, 11:48:49 PM

That's why I did not even bother to start mining namecoins . It was obvious that arbitragers will even thing out quickly and it is so much simpler to just continue mining bitcoins than mess with all the namecoin thing (unless you really want those namecoins).

Its so easy though. It took me a little time tinkering to get solo mining working (pool mining is much easier). But really, you can switch between namecoin mining and BTC in literally 2 seconds. There's nothing to it. And I'm just your average nerd, not major geek.

I just registered for the $PLOTS presale! Thank you @plotsfinance for allowing me to purchase tokens at the discounted valuation of only $0.015 per token, a special offer for anyone who participated in the airdrop. Tier II round is for the public at $0.025 per token. Allocation is very limited and you need to register first using the official Part III link found on their twitter. Register using my referral code CPB5 to receive 2,500 points.
JohnDoe

View Profile
June 19, 2011, 03:07:23 AM

Quote from: Bitname.org admin
while i believe in a free and distributed dns, i also need to abide to local laws. therefore, i will block names if i'm legally required to do so.

Wikileaks is blocked for one.. Instant failure.

Use namecoin.us then.

Whether one of the resolvers sucks or not is irrelevant. The point is that people can browse .bit domains without needing to add a new DNS server.
bcpokey

Activity: 602
Merit: 500

View Profile
June 19, 2011, 03:34:18 AM

All discussion as to the usability of namecoin aside, difficulty at parity actually means taking a loss mining namecoin.

Mining in a pool has a pool fee off the top, then there is a fee to transfer the namecoins from the pool to you, then a fee to transfer the namecoins to the exchange, the exchange charges a fee to exchange namecoins to bitcoins, then there is a fee to withdraw the bitcoins. This is all before the regular fees of bitcoin, 5 fees. They may be small individually but as you use it they add up. So if you generate the same number of bitcoin-valued namecoins you are taking a loss over directly generating bitcoins.
qed

Activity: 196

View Profile
June 19, 2011, 08:33:17 AM

All discussion as to the usability of namecoin aside, difficulty at parity actually means taking a loss mining namecoin.

Mining in a pool has a pool fee off the top, then there is a fee to transfer the namecoins from the pool to you, then a fee to transfer the namecoins to the exchange, the exchange charges a fee to exchange namecoins to bitcoins, then there is a fee to withdraw the bitcoins. This is all before the regular fees of bitcoin, 5 fees. They may be small individually but as you use it they add up. So if you generate the same number of bitcoin-valued namecoins you are taking a loss over directly generating bitcoins.

Who made that exchange site, adding fees to withdraw, destroyed namecoins trading. Congratulation!

Mobile App (Android)

Monitor miners, exchange rates and Bitcoin network stats.
tysat
Legendary

Activity: 966
Merit: 1004

Keep it real

View Profile
June 19, 2011, 12:53:39 PM

Who made that exchange site, adding fees to withdraw, destroyed namecoins trading. Congratulation!

Because taking 0.01 on withdrawing is going to kill all trading!
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: