Bitcoin Forum
June 17, 2024, 07:13:54 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: n00b to mining, would like some opinion and thought.  (Read 784 times)
aab23c (OP)

Activity: 5
Merit: 0

View Profile
April 26, 2013, 11:55:01 PM

So I am way behind the power curve, and just getting into mining in general, which is a depressing to say the least. I am betting some treasure no a BFL 25Ghs, and hopefully will make my money back at least on that.

Until my order gets filled...which could be July :-(, I am not sure what to mine. I say this because I only have two small boxes that I could use right now, and just would like to be able to maximize what they could do for the time being.

Box 1:
hackintosh C2D 2.66 with an Nvidia 610 GT 1GB(i know Nvidia blows compared to AMD) 6Gigs of Ram. This box is primarily an iTunes server, calibre server, backup server, etc. it is running mac osx 10.8.3, and really for the environment needs to stay that way. With the GT610 only getting about 5 to 7 Mh, is it worth mining bitcoin at all on it? If not, I have not been able to get LTC mining to work at all on it, even after installing macports, and xcode. I have even been looking into Teracoin, but not sure about that either. So thoughts on if/should I use this box for any mining at all?

Box 2:
AMD E1-1200 Dual Core Processor; Microsoft Windows 8; 4GB DDR3-1333 SDRAM; AMD Radeon HD7310 Graphics (this is built in the board so I think worthless)
AMD 6570 1 GB PCIe

I have been getting between 80 and 85 Mh for BTC on this or 65 KH for LTC.

So BTC, LTC, or another coin that would be worth mining on these low end boxes at all?

Power consumption on either is very low, and affordable (for me) right now with 8.99 cents per KwH
Thanks!
TracerX

Activity: 918
Merit: 1002

View Profile
April 27, 2013, 12:04:22 AM

You may try 'Feathercoin' this week, it's the alt-coin that's all the rage.  It's got a low difficulty (currently) and you can CPU mine on it for a while and make some coins.  It would be a good starting point to learn the ropes.  Google 'Feathercoin' and checkup on the thread in this forum.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: