Bitcoin Forum
June 25, 2024, 06:04:37 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Which wallet are you using?  (Read 4694 times)
GuiltySpark343 (OP)

Activity: 98
Merit: 10

View Profile
April 27, 2013, 02:51:20 AM

So which wallet are people using?

I know there's the "official" Bitcoin-Qt, but also Electrum, Armory, MultiBit, etc. So far, I've been using Qt but am getting annoyed at the transaction fees I have been paying to send BTC.

Any suggestions, and please give a reason. Thanks!

I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve.
Ƀ:17wbDetEw2aESM5oWXbm5ih9NSdDruyWNT
vega07

Activity: 6
Merit: 0

View Profile
April 27, 2013, 03:05:44 AM

I was using the Armory but it and the standard bitcoin-qt one were eating up too much of my hard drive space so I had to uninstall.  Right now I just have all my funds in mtgox and bitstamp...not sure how smart that is but at least I can sell my BTC quickly if price starts to plummet. 
andresbonilla

Activity: 6

View Profile
April 27, 2013, 05:16:56 AM

I use multibit. It allows multiple wallets, syncs with the blockchain really fast, and allows private key exports and password-protected wallets. I have used it for about a month and have no complaints.
felix123

Activity: 50

View Profile
April 27, 2013, 06:15:42 AM

QT was using up all my disk space and bandwidth. So switched to Electrum. Keeping a small amount in Blockchain.info for its advanced features.
Acidman

Activity: 24

View Profile
April 27, 2013, 06:20:44 AM

What is the best free wallet? Stroncoin charged me 1% and it ended up costing me a coin
cdawson023

Activity: 7

View Profile
April 27, 2013, 07:03:26 AM

After a friend of mine had his blockchain.info wallet broken into (we suspect via a javascript exploit or perhaps an android app on his phone - he was not using 2 factor authentication, although that wouldn't matter if they had stolen his private key before he enabled it anyway) as a part of the greater blockchain.info heist that happened on the 25th (which was discussed here), I elected to move all my BTC out of their web wallet service and set up Armory cold storage on a flash drive. Or as one Reddit user put it, "9 easy steps for people with computer knowledge. 9 giant leaps against mass adoption." I already had the Ubuntu .iso and a flash drive. It took about an hour and I feel a lot safer although this method of signing transactions is perhaps slightly tedious. I'm basically using Armory with an offline version of Brainwallet.org instead of having to install bitcoin-qt and download the blockchain. And as for transaction fees, I usually pay .001 because I don't like waiting around for my transactions to verify. I decided to keep the blockchain.info android app, but I only handle small amounts of BTC with it now.

The cold storage method I used (I didn't write this btw, I just followed the instructions): http://www.reddit.com/r/Bitcoin/comments/1d26gw/
yacare

Activity: 1260
Merit: 500

In CryptoEnergy we trust

View Profile
April 27, 2013, 08:39:54 AM

I like Electrum and Multibit.

Electrum = can show the ammount (btcs) per address (I like that).
Multibit = fast sync and reset option.

And both lack the ability to create a wallet from imported key only (you get an extra address/key pair that you may not be willing to use). In Electrum it can be done from the command line with gap limit = 0, but you still have the 3 change addresses (that you can choose to not use).

I will like to see that feature on both. (create empty/no-addresses wallet, to then import the desired ones).

morthandeus

Activity: 8

View Profile
April 27, 2013, 08:49:46 AM

I'm using Electrum so far and I'm in the process of setting up a Linux bootstick for safe storage right now following the instructions at https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=17240.0.
EddieDean

Activity: 1

View Profile
April 27, 2013, 09:01:23 AM

Blockchain here, hope no one ganks my yubikey.

slowklopdop

Activity: 10

View Profile
April 27, 2013, 09:05:20 AM

Im using Bitcoin Qt at the moment, and so far it just does what i want.
BitcoinBoard

Activity: 168
Merit: 100

View Profile WWW
April 27, 2013, 09:10:15 AM

Bitcoin-Qt, Litecoin-Qt and Feathercoin-Qt

Bitcoin (BTC) Adress: 1EJMCFdJMsNmp9jtSztnwu9yErRj1KAATc
Litecoin (LTC) Adress: LiTakTnY9Qv71GqQbpGpEbN39e5aQyqLGX
kseistrup

Activity: 566
Merit: 500

Unselfish actions pay back better

View Profile WWW
April 27, 2013, 09:10:23 AM

I was using bitcoin-qt until recently, when the memory consumption became prohibitive.  I'm now using multibit.

Klaus Alexander Seistrup
brandnewx

Activity: 15

View Profile
April 27, 2013, 09:28:52 AM

What happen when one of these online wallet gets hacked?
tomjo7

Activity: 47

View Profile
April 27, 2013, 10:31:50 AM

I'm new here, I've been using blockchain.info with Google authenticator also, would you say this is secure enough? I backup my wallet after every transaction too.
DannyHamilton
Legendary

Activity: 3430
Merit: 4680

View Profile
April 27, 2013, 01:00:40 PM

I'm new here, I've been using blockchain.info with Google authenticator also, would you say this is secure enough?
- snip -

That depends on how secure your password is.

If your password is "abc123", you will almost certainly lose your bitcoins to theft eventually.

If your password is "b678VvQ&*o78bvn2cv67^%@Ip59X#4x35Z", then it is probably secure enough.
psipower

Activity: 15

View Profile
April 27, 2013, 01:08:22 PM

bitcoin-qt, litecoin-qt, terracoin-qt, PPCoin-qt, plus namecoind.

Wallets encrypted and backed up to a RAID1 system.
Anon136
Legendary

Activity: 1722
Merit: 1217

View Profile
April 27, 2013, 01:09:26 PM

I was using the Armory but it and the standard bitcoin-qt one were eating up too much of my hard drive space so I had to uninstall.  Right now I just have all my funds in mtgox and bitstamp...not sure how smart that is but at least I can sell my BTC quickly if price starts to plummet. 

why would you sell while the price is plummeting  Huh sell when its high buy when its plummeting.

Rep Thread: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=381041
If one can not confer upon another a right which he does not himself first possess, by what means does the state derive the right to engage in behaviors from which the public is prohibited?
tigerbit

Activity: 80
Merit: 10

View Profile
April 27, 2013, 01:11:08 PM

So which wallet are people using?

I know there's the "official" Bitcoin-Qt, but also Electrum, Armory, MultiBit, etc. So far, I've been using Qt but am getting annoyed at the transaction fees I have been paying to send BTC.

Any suggestions, and please give a reason. Thanks!

Bitcoin-Qt and namecoind here.

I don't have a problem with the transaction fees on Bitcoin-Qt.  They're very very low, and as a miner I realise that the future viability of the network may in part depend on transaction fees.  Consider it a very small tip Wink

If you found this useful modest tips welcome BTC: 15noAopoPUcA4D4dTJihgDVE8axZh8VWia
silverboyp

Activity: 12

View Profile WWW
April 27, 2013, 01:11:26 PM

Blockchain
Slave2school

Activity: 52

View Profile
April 27, 2013, 01:11:37 PM

I'm using blockchain.  I think the risk of me doing something crappy with my wallet is greater than the risk of it being lost online at the moment.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: