Bitcoin Forum
June 22, 2024, 09:19:28 PM *
News: Voting for pizza day contest

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Altcoin vs Bitcoin wall tracker & speculation thread  (Read 2172 times)
This is a self-moderated topic. If you do not want to be moderated by the person who started this topic, create a new topic.
TsuyokuNaritai (OP)

Activity: 574
Merit: 500

View Profile
April 27, 2013, 07:09:00 AM
Last edit: April 27, 2013, 07:32:26 AM by TsuyokuNaritai

This is intended as a wall/speculation tracker that's not specific to a single coin, but is specifically for bitbugs rather than paperbugs (see below). If no-one else uses it, I'll just post my own stuff here occasionally hoping for constructive feedback.

Please stick to these guidelines:

• No lying. This isn't the BTC-E trollbox. Speaking of which...
  • No trolling. Jokes & good-natured teasing are cool, but flame wars belong elsewhere.
  • Price against BTC. If you must think in Fiat, please be clear you're doing that. Don't just say "I think Litecoin will go up..." unless you mean LTC/BTC.

I'm hoping it won't keep getting overrun by the latest coin-of-the-week, but I won't make any rules about that unless it becomes an issue.

qxzn

Activity: 609
Merit: 505

View Profile
April 27, 2013, 07:12:58 AM

It almost doesn't matter how much the ltc/btc rate goes up before ltc hits gox. Once it hits gox, it will go up further.
TsuyokuNaritai (OP)

View Profile
April 27, 2013, 07:25:08 AM

It almost doesn't matter how much the ltc/btc rate goes up before ltc hits gox. Once it hits gox, it will go up further.

Indeed. But maybe not as much as this will...

Namecoin had been in Gox's test API and mentioned in a few messages, on reddit, etc. but was missed out of their recent press release which officially announced that support for Litecoin would happen soon, raising concerns that NMC support could be much later, if it still happened at all.

Well, today Gox confirmed that support for NMC will also "happen soon".

https://twitter.com/MtGox/status/327921790800240640

I don't think this has been noticed yet. I haven't seen it mentioned here, on Reddit, or anywhere easily noticeable so I wouldn't be surprised if NMC goes up by quite a bit shortly...

calian

Activity: 354
Merit: 250

View Profile
April 27, 2013, 08:45:53 AM

Glad someone started this. I wish there were an entire altcoin speculation subforum as it would be fun to watch the sentiment. Which leads to my question - who is actually buying these coins? As in spending your hard won BTC on Feathercoins, BBQ coins, Terracoins, Novacoins, etc. I understand LTC has a pretty good sized community at this point, NMC has been around a long time and PPC offers a new method of producing coins. Aside from those three though it seems like Satoshi Dice might offer better odds?
TsuyokuNaritai (OP)

View Profile
April 28, 2013, 04:10:31 PM

Glad someone started this. I wish there were an entire altcoin speculation subforum as it would be fun to watch the sentiment. Which leads to my question - who is actually buying these coins? As in spending your hard won BTC on Feathercoins, BBQ coins, Terracoins, Novacoins, etc. I understand LTC has a pretty good sized community at this point, NMC has been around a long time and PPC offers a new method of producing coins. Aside from those three though it seems like Satoshi Dice might offer better odds?

They can all make you BTC if you buy and sell at the right time, which is what we're here to figure out.  Grin

Looks like the world at large still hasn't noticed that tweet about Namecoin. Hardly anyone's likely to be watching this thread yet, so I've specifically not mentioned it elsewhere to see how long it takes the news to break out.  Wink

I'm still astonished by how long it takes most altcoin market traders to react to important fundamentals, considering how fast they jump for minor price fluctuations or the divine word of Fontas. (If you don't know who he is yet, you probably don't need to right now - he's taking a break following a recent fall from grace, so there might be a bit more stability in the alt markets for a while...)

Any ideas why Litecoin is falling so hard right now?  Shocked

calian

View Profile
April 29, 2013, 08:37:42 AM

They can all make you BTC if you buy and sell at the right time, which is what we're here to figure out.  Grin

Looks like the world at large still hasn't noticed that tweet about Namecoin. Hardly anyone's likely to be watching this thread yet, so I've specifically not mentioned it elsewhere to see how long it takes the news to break out.  Wink

I'm still astonished by how long it takes most altcoin market traders to react to important fundamentals, considering how fast they jump for minor price fluctuations or the divine word of Fontas. (If you don't know who he is yet, you probably don't need to right now - he's taking a break following a recent fall from grace, so there might be a bit more stability in the alt markets for a while...)

Any ideas why Litecoin is falling so hard right now?  Shocked

Ah, so capitalizing on the information asymmetry inherent in a thinly traded market? I actually hesitate to jump into much of this in large part because of the lack of clearly visible information. Bitcoinity, bitcoincharts, etc. have really spoiled me and while dustcoin might be great for miners it doesn't tell a trader much. Btc-e is strange. The quotes are different when you load the main page than when you visit the specific currency page, etc. Also trusting vircurex/btc-e isn't so easy.
TsuyokuNaritai (OP)

View Profile
April 29, 2013, 02:36:05 PM

I actually hesitate to jump into much of this in large part because of the lack of clearly visible information.

This is wise. Best to learn first, then start slow. Here's a good thing to read: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=188363.msg1966430#msg1966430

Bitcoinity, bitcoincharts, etc. have really spoiled me and while dustcoin might be great for miners it doesn't tell a trader much. Btc-e is strange. The quotes are different when you load the main page than when you visit the specific currency page, etc.

Dustcoin tells you the market caps, which helps you tell if something is over/underpriced. The mining ratio there can give a hint about how miners may be about to move, and if it jumps erratically, that can be a warning flag for that coin.

Don't trust the altcoin wall charts too much, as well as being lagged a lot of the walls are fake, intended to influence price rather than to buy or sell.

Also trusting vircurex/btc-e isn't so easy.

Don't leave much in the exchange, just what you're trading and can afford to lose. Enable 2-factor authentication on both. BTC-E is particularly shady, check out the threads on here about it & beware of the trolls.

Walter Rothbard

Activity: 476

Bytecoin: 8VofSsbQvTd8YwAcxiCcxrqZ9MnGPjaAQm

View Profile WWW
April 29, 2013, 05:07:05 PM

Also trusting vircurex/btc-e isn't so easy.

I have built a lot of trust in Vircurex over the last few months.  They have impressively weathered some storms, and apparently done right by their users every time.

SpaceCadet

Activity: 165
Merit: 100

Just mining my own business...

View Profile
April 29, 2013, 08:12:18 PM

I'd be interested to see if there are any sites that facilitate FOREX (trading against relative changes of value between currencies) or arbitrage (trading against differences in the price of one currency between exchange houses). 

I suppose the first question is: Does the relative difference in value of one currency to another (e.g., LTC/BTC) change enough (after trading fees) to warrant moving from one currency to another?  Or is the market too immature to readily support such trading (very few exchange houses, insufficient rate data, insufficient APIs, etc)?

Thoughts?
calian

View Profile
May 20, 2013, 07:40:49 AM

Quiet on this thread lately... I thought we might be entering a bear market on the altcoins a couple days ago. Now it's just turned into random noise - hard to pick up an overall trend.
TsuyokuNaritai (OP)

View Profile
May 21, 2013, 02:38:40 AM

I'd be interested to see if there are any sites that facilitate FOREX (trading against relative changes of value between currencies) or arbitrage (trading against differences in the price of one currency between exchange houses). 

I suppose the first question is: Does the relative difference in value of one currency to another (e.g., LTC/BTC) change enough (after trading fees) to warrant moving from one currency to another?  Or is the market too immature to readily support such trading (very few exchange houses, insufficient rate data, insufficient APIs, etc)?

It can do, but you need to be careful. It's not just fees & the value of your time, there's risk factors, especially if one of the exchanges is buggy or otherwise dodgy. I've had Feathercoins locked in cryptonit for weeks. Angry

Quiet on this thread lately... I thought we might be entering a bear market on the altcoins a couple days ago. Now it's just turned into random noise - hard to pick up an overall trend.

Yeah, I've mostly quit trading & gone back into BTC for a while, partly because of this, partly to pay serious attention to the security aspect. No point making lots of BTC if it's not protected, and for a relative noob like me that takes work to get right.

BitJohn

Activity: 826
Merit: 1001

@Bit_John

View Profile
May 21, 2013, 02:43:47 AM

I use CampBX as my main FIAT in and out exchange and they have stated that they will add Litecoin soon. Great news!

https://CampBX.com/register.php?r=71W7SUaY6y9 (shameless link to Campbx if you register you get a 10% discount on trades)
TsuyokuNaritai (OP)

View Profile
May 29, 2013, 04:10:43 PM

About 5 weeks after saying NMC would "happen soon" (see above), here's the latest from Gox...

https://twitter.com/MtGox/status/339740059714609152

Thank you for the email. Unfortunately, we have no plans to include namecoins at the moment.

Roll Eyes

TsuyokuNaritai (OP)

View Profile
June 01, 2013, 02:31:44 PM

Cool. There's now a wall observer thread on the PPC forum.  Smiley

http://www.ppcointalk.org/index.php?topic=202

Incidentally, I've been out of every altcoin except LTC and DVC since that last post, and the only reason I didn't completely drop Devcoin is the slippage would have been so bad I thought I may as well hang on to a few. Looks like I got out of everything just in time.

calian

View Profile
June 05, 2013, 05:33:13 AM

Well since I last posted here there are a few more places to get info for this stuff. Obviously I'm over on the PPC wall thread.

USD market caps http://coinmarketcap.com/
BTC market caps http://dustcoin.com/mining
Quotes on many exchanges for many coins http://www.cryptocoincharts.info/

And most awesomely a charts site (though right now it only offers MtGox and BTC-E)
http://www.gobitgo.com/charts
calian

View Profile
June 08, 2013, 05:42:00 AM

Cryptocoincharts.info v2 coming soon http://www.cryptocoincharts.info/v2/
TsuyokuNaritai (OP)

View Profile
June 08, 2013, 12:22:02 PM

Some good links, thanks. Smiley

Opinions on feathercoin? Long term I think it can become huge (just based on it's community support). I was planning on buying in when it stopped falling, hoping it would settle then rise gently, so much for that idea.  Shocked

I think the current spike is a pump-and-dump... but I bought back in anyway because I don't want to miss the boat in case it never comes back down. Those featherfans are not going to quit and they're starting to get their act together.

TsuyokuNaritai (OP)

View Profile
June 22, 2013, 08:00:34 AM

So... sold the FTC just in time then gave up on the sliding altcoin bear markets of despair & had a look round the securities. Wasn't convinced by most but jumped into ASICMiner and BTCInvest with both feet & pretty much live there now.

Except I threw all my spare uninvested BTC into LTC a few hours ago, sure I don't need to tell you why! Everything going to the moon, haven't had this much fun since April. Grin

Any opinions on when the rest of the alts might come back out of the wilderness?

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: