Bitcoin Forum
June 16, 2024, 05:19:36 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Suing PayPal  (Read 1887 times)
Bharel (OP)

Activity: 8
Merit: 0

View Profile
April 27, 2013, 02:39:13 PM

Bitcoin community,

I have been scammed for a few thousand dollars on eBay + PayPal (over 80 BTC). After selling the bitcoins, all of the buyers filed a chargeback, and PayPal returned the whole funds to them out of my account, and on top of all charged me with PayPal and chargeback fees.
I am willing to sue PayPal for the act, and already contacted an attorney who believes we have a claim. We will probably sue them for committing and allowing fraud through their systems, without supervising.
I have contacted PayPal 13 times already, regarding the claims but to no avail.

Since I believe a few others were scammed the same way, I wish to sue as a group against this massive corporation.

Does anyone wish to form a group?
tysat
Legendary

Activity: 966
Merit: 1004

Keep it real

View Profile
April 27, 2013, 02:41:33 PM

Pretty sure paypal does not allow currency exchange, so this probably going nowhere.  It's what you get for taking a currency that can be reversed when selling one that can't.
BTCClicks

Activity: 104
Merit: 10

View Profile WWW
April 27, 2013, 02:42:02 PM

That's not gonna happen. Buying and selling virtual currencies is against paypal's TOS. They won't help you with such charge-backs.

RapeFace

Activity: 21

View Profile
April 27, 2013, 02:47:11 PM

That's not gonna happen. Buying and selling virtual currencies is against paypal's TOS. They won't help you with such charge-backs.

exactly what these guys have said. you agreed to their terms of service and that includes not trading other currencies. pretty crappy 'attorney' you have there
Bharel (OP)

Activity: 8

View Profile
April 27, 2013, 02:50:49 PM

The do allow it. They allow virtual items/currency, and they said it when we called them. They just don't hand seller or buyer protection, but still allow chargebacks. In this case, PayPal just wants to enjoy the benefits of receiving a good sum, from people getting scammed. I have already cancelled my credit card to fight against the fraud, so they will not be able to charge it. Talked to the credit card company, and they said it seems to be a fraud to them so they allowed cancelling it.
wunch

Activity: 49

View Profile
April 27, 2013, 03:06:12 PM

Bitcoin community,

I have been scammed for a few thousand dollars on eBay + PayPal (over 80 BTC). After selling the bitcoins, all of the buyers filed a chargeback, and PayPal returned the whole funds to them out of my account, and on top of all charged me with PayPal and chargeback fees.
I am willing to sue PayPal for the act, and already contacted an attorney who believes we have a claim. We will probably sue them for committing and allowing fraud through their systems, without supervising.

Since I believe a few others were scammed the same way, I wish to sue as a group against this massive corporation.

5 minutes on Google would have told you that 99% of all ebay/paypal btc transactions end in tears. This is why you send something physical to have a tracking number i.e " your buying my autograph with a free bitcoin". Good luck trying to prove that you did send the coins (what with anonymity and all) people have been refused dispute videoing themselves sending them. Sounds like your attorney has spotted you as a mark as well.
slavix

Activity: 96
Merit: 10

View Profile
June 17, 2013, 05:23:03 PM

Bitcoin community,

I am interested in joining you. I was scammed the same way as you for thousands of dollars. I used localbitcoins.com and have a digitally signed proof of delivery for every sale. Yet Paypal just took money out my account.
bongwater

Activity: 14

View Profile
June 17, 2013, 05:27:24 PM

Bitcoin community,

Wait why did ALL of your customers due paypal chargebacks???
xboxgames

Activity: 28

View Profile
June 17, 2013, 05:30:17 PM

PayPal does not offer protection for these, as they have 0 way to verify tht you did or did not deliver. 

If you take them to court, you are losing a ton of money, and your case will lose.  Your attorney is a complete idiot to think he will win, or he is scamming you also by lying to you.

DO NOT USE PAYPAL.

<~~~ former PayPal employee.  Hate that BS company.
bongwater

Activity: 14

View Profile
June 17, 2013, 05:34:06 PM

Sue the bastards!
casascius
Mike Caldwell
VIP
Legendary

Activity: 1386
Merit: 1136

The Casascius 1oz 10BTC Silver Round (w/ Gold B)

View Profile WWW
June 17, 2013, 05:34:46 PM

PayPal does not offer protection for these, as they have 0 way to verify tht you did or did not deliver.  

If you take them to court, you are losing a ton of money, and your case will lose.  Your attorney is a complete idiot to think he will win, or he is scamming you also by lying to you.

I reluctantly have to agree.  You're going against Goliath armed with nothing but a spitball and a straw.  You have a better chance of memorizing the SHA256 algorithm and brain-mining a block of coins.

I would take that same anger and energy and channel it to a place where you can make a change.  There are many.

Companies claiming they got hacked and lost your coins sounds like fraud so perfect it could be called fashionable.  I never believe them.  If I ever experience the misfortune of a real intrusion, I declare I have been honest about the way I have managed the keys in Casascius Coins.  I maintain no ability to recover or reproduce the keys, not even under limitless duress or total intrusion.  Remember that trusting strangers with your coins without any recourse is, as a matter of principle, not a best practice.  Don't keep coins online. Use paper or hardware wallets instead.
msk

Activity: 11

View Profile
June 17, 2013, 06:46:31 PM

Pretty sure paypal does not allow currency exchange, so this probably going nowhere.  It's what you get for taking a currency that can be reversed when selling one that can't.

Paypal does currency exchange at a premium. it's cheaper to let your bank do it.... and cheaper to get BTC exchanges to convert to USD/CAD/JPY/EUR/GBP than with your bank.
Baitty

Activity: 532
Merit: 500

Currently held as collateral by monbux

View Profile
June 17, 2013, 06:50:08 PM

Always use you're bank for cases like this.

Currently held as collateral by monbux
bernard75
Legendary

Activity: 1316
Merit: 1003

View Profile
June 17, 2013, 06:55:07 PM

I am willing to sue PayPal for the act, and already contacted an attorney who believes we have a claim.
They always do, watch out or you will be scammed again.
xfob

Activity: 10

View Profile
June 17, 2013, 06:55:48 PM

Paypal doesn't allow currency exchange at all. Also, most eBay prices for selling BTC and every other coin is grossly inflated. As a seller you should have known no one would pay that much for the value of a BitCoin when they can purchase it at market price.
mprep
Global Moderator
Legendary

Activity: 3766
Merit: 2610

In a world of peaches, don't ask for apple sauce

View Profile WWW
June 17, 2013, 07:01:22 PM

Give it up. Sueing paypal will only make you lose more money instead of getting any of it back. They consider Bitcoin as a virtual currency thus it can't be used to trade with using Paypal. Anyways, if you're still going against it, I reccommend to find a lawyer that gets paid only if you win the case. And it better be a good one because you're going to need all the help you can get.

iram9019

Activity: 6

View Profile
June 17, 2013, 07:02:59 PM

Good luck suing paypal.
bernard75
Legendary

Activity: 1316
Merit: 1003

View Profile
June 17, 2013, 07:05:31 PM

Anyways, if you're still going against it, I reccommend to find a lawyer that gets paid only if you win the case.
Try it with your lawyer and watch him run.
Lethn
Legendary

Activity: 1540
Merit: 1000

View Profile WWW
June 17, 2013, 07:11:18 PM

I'm no lawyer but people should know by now that Terms of Service means jack shit, companies can't just put whatever the hell they like and expect the law to back them up, EA will tell you that Wink license agreements and terms of service are never legally binding unless it's officially backed up by the courts.
ranlo
Legendary

Activity: 1974
Merit: 1007

View Profile
June 17, 2013, 07:18:17 PM

This right here. If anything, they may turn the tables on you and charge you for transmitting money without a license.

https://nanogames.io/i-bctalk-n/
Message for info on how to get kickbacks on sites like Nano (above) and CryptoPlay!
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: