Bitcoin Forum
June 29, 2024, 02:53:55 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Difficulty variations & DDOS attacks  (Read 513 times)
kwilliams (OP)

Activity: 70
Merit: 10

View Profile
April 27, 2013, 02:55:16 PM

Has anyone tried to correlate recent variations in network difficulty with DDOS attacks on mining pools? I have the feeling that a large botnet is being used to mine bitcoin and do the attacks at the same time. When it's on mining mode – difficulty climbs. When it's attacking (and therefore not mining)  – the rate drops.

Note to NSA: please note in my personal file that the above comment, as well as any and all communications dating back to AOL/1993, are wholly fictitious, and are to be regarded as such. The later statement is to remain in effect until reversed by me personally in a waterboard-free questioning.
Come-from-Beyond
Legendary

Activity: 2142
Merit: 1009

View Profile
April 27, 2013, 03:06:32 PM

Has anyone tried to correlate recent variations in network difficulty with DDOS attacks on mining pools? I have the feeling that a large botnet is being used to mine bitcoin and do the attacks at the same time. When it's on mining mode – difficulty climbs. When it's attacking (and therefore not mining)  – the rate drops.

You don't need a lot of CPU/GPU power to DDoS someone.
RapeFace

Activity: 21
Merit: 0

View Profile
April 27, 2013, 03:11:43 PM

you just made me facepalm so hard i hit china.

he is talkign about botnets (a network of computers all infected with a virus controlled by one person)
the owner of the botnet is then using his bots to mine bitcoins for him. this botnet can also be used for DDoS'ing (distributed denial of service)
however botnets cant handle that many tasks at once, so if a botnet owner wanted to DDoS somene they would have to stop mining and vice versa
Come-from-Beyond
Legendary

View Profile
April 27, 2013, 03:39:21 PM

you just made me facepalm so hard i hit china.

he is talkign about botnets (a network of computers all infected with a virus controlled by one person)
the owner of the botnet is then using his bots to mine bitcoins for him. this botnet can also be used for DDoS'ing (distributed denial of service)
however botnets cant handle that many tasks at once, so if a botnet owner wanted to DDoS somene they would have to stop mining and vice versa

I disagree. DDoSing requires less than 1% of CPU. If ur ddos-related soft "eats" a lot of CPU power then it's written by a kid.
RapeFace

Activity: 21
Merit: 0

View Profile
April 27, 2013, 03:51:01 PM

Wait, your calling other people kids? dayum man you stupid. you clearly dont understand how botnets work xD
Come-from-Beyond
Legendary

View Profile
April 27, 2013, 04:00:56 PM

Wait, your calling other people kids? dayum man you stupid. you clearly dont understand how botnets work xD

No. I don't understand how that particular botnet works. A DDoS attack doesn't require high CPU load.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: