Bitcoin Forum
June 22, 2024, 05:25:28 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Undervolting an AMD 7990  (Read 271 times)
felixbrucker (OP)

Activity: 700
Merit: 500

View Profile WWW
April 28, 2017, 09:18:21 PM

Hi,

i finally got to installing my 7990 and it runs quite hot on stock settings :/

i have lowered the core clock a bit (1000 -> 900) and changed the voltage from 1.2mV to 1.0mV

its running fine now (60-70°C while mining zec with fans at ~80%)

my question: is it safe to just go lower and lower with the voltage (to keep the fanspeed lower), or can that physically damage the card?

cheers
antantti
Legendary

Activity: 1176
Merit: 1015

View Profile
April 28, 2017, 10:15:44 PM

my question: is it safe to just go lower and lower with the voltage (to keep the fanspeed lower), or can that physically damage the card?

Yes it is completely safe, you know it wants more voltage when you start seeing artifacts/ miner hangs/ rig reboots. Just add some voltage or lower clocks even more to find your sweet spot.

Also try ubq, exp and music with 7990.
felixbrucker (OP)

Activity: 700
Merit: 500

View Profile WWW
April 28, 2017, 10:42:22 PM

Yes it is completely safe, you know it wants more voltage when you start seeing artifacts/ miner hangs/ rig reboots. Just add some voltage or lower clocks even more to find your sweet spot.

Also try ubq, exp and music with 7990.

thanks, greatly appreciated!

lowered it to 950 with the result of "AMD driver crashed", increased to 975, seems to work, will monitor it over the next 24hrs

its far better now, 65°C with 70% fan Smiley

indeed eth coins with a smaller dag are great as the speed on the 7970 cards is fine there but its by far harder to setup autoswitching with that (and im using nicehash where this isnt possible as well)

when i got some time i might look into the real numbers in terms of profitability and if they differ by far from my current rates i might setup "manual" mining or mining via mph or the like
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: