Bitcoin Forum
May 27, 2024, 02:54:57 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: What one aspect of Bitcoin intrigues/fascinates you the most?  (Read 1071 times)
rtw (OP)

Activity: 6
Merit: 0

View Profile
April 27, 2013, 04:42:01 PM

There are numerous things about bitcoin that intrigue me. The mining process. Deflation and finite amount. The network. The transaction methods. Satoshi Nakamoto Smiley . Too many to list.

If I had to say what intrigues me the most about bitcoin it would be the possibilities of its use. Its a pretty vague statement but I think that the possibilities of Bitcoins use in normal everyday transactions makes it so intriguing. There are so many unknowns, as well as unknown unknowns.

What intrigues you the most about bitcoin?
ediaz

Activity: 1

View Profile
April 27, 2013, 05:43:37 PM

I am interested in hard wallets. This seems a nice way to store bitcoins for the future!
BitshireHashaway

Activity: 182
Merit: 100

View Profile WWW
April 27, 2013, 07:44:54 PM

I feel like if I had to choose the top two things that interest me the most about Bitcoin are they way in which they are mined, and also the founder. I spend sometime every day, just trying to learn about these two things and how interesting they are, and the way in which they work!
Rex_Heston

Activity: 69
Merit: 10

View Profile
April 27, 2013, 08:24:44 PM

The fact that cryptocurrency has the potential to be the cash of the internet is the single most intriguing thing about it for me. Being a heavy supporter of the right to privacy, and seeing the way governments and corporations are encouraging the use of easily trackable/freezable assets, such as cellphone wallets and credit cards, I think that Bitcoin has the potential to provide a "safe-haven" for people who don't want every Tom, Dick, and Harry knowing their business, or losing all of their money to an overzealous government silencing campaign.

It also doesn't hurt that it sounds like something Neal Stephenson should have come up with for "Snow Crash," and that I'm interested in the cryptographic side of cryptocurrency.

Did I help you today, or just like my style? Toss a couple coins my direction!
BTC: 1GntmzMELxewbS2BagH2CqRNv9CuVfgcsb; DOGE: DLmXSyGQzkJMKYFTS12aiGUC4V38gNHu1W
Mike Christ
aka snapsunny
Legendary

Activity: 1078
Merit: 1003

View Profile
April 27, 2013, 08:28:36 PM

The #1 reason for me is that it's not controlled by any bank.  It's peer to peer money.  My assets are safe.

James Galt

Activity: 7

View Profile
April 27, 2013, 08:32:13 PM

Advantages: not controlled by a bank, no fees, mine is mine (governments have reduced influence on BTC).

Disadvantages: if I can't touch it, I don't own it.

My idea is to buy some BTC as a investment, who knows what the future holds. The financial markets today are a joke. Fiat currencies always fail.
quickdra

Activity: 5

View Profile
April 27, 2013, 08:33:26 PM

I like the fact that it has a fixed maximum amount of coins with no government printing it into oblivion.
Manawarp

Activity: 13

View Profile
April 27, 2013, 08:35:04 PM

It's arguably the first true form of internet money.
xavier83

Activity: 9

View Profile
April 27, 2013, 08:58:50 PM

Advantages: not controlled by a bank, no fees, mine is mine (governments have reduced influence on BTC).

Disadvantages: if I can't touch it, I don't own it.

My idea is to buy some BTC as a investment, who knows what the future holds. The financial markets today are a joke. Fiat currencies always fail.

you do have fees in bitcoins. it is just not that high.
Leonidas1

Activity: 6

View Profile
April 27, 2013, 09:37:38 PM

I'm interested in seeing how the rise of crypto-currencies in general will change the business landscape. I feel like this new form of currency is finally going to kill off alot of these ancient business models and make way for innovation.
BChydro

Activity: 1426
Merit: 506

View Profile
April 27, 2013, 09:47:03 PM

THE DRUGS. No really, I like the full transparency and elegance of the whole Bitcoin model.
emantu

Activity: 3

View Profile
April 27, 2013, 09:50:06 PM

The open nature of the system! Anyone in the world can send, receive, mine bitcoins or develop a service using them; while being a player in the traditional financial world is limited to a select few.
zemario

Activity: 194
Merit: 100

View Profile
April 27, 2013, 09:54:26 PM

I don't know what you guys mean by 'internet money'. It's not more 'internet' than other currencies.

Well anyway.

The fact that I can be 100% secure that my assets are safe. If I hold the private key then they are safe. No law, bank failure, etc, can reach them.

Besides that, that the network is all that is necessary to make a transaction, directly to the destination.

On the negative side. The blockchain is public, privacy is rather limited.
lucuasl

Activity: 11

View Profile
April 28, 2013, 04:55:08 AM

What intrigues you the most about bitcoin?

Why bitcoin wasnt invented earlier. All the technolgies were in place already, satashi just put them together.  Maybe that is 20 20 hindsight
Coinseeker

Activity: 252
Merit: 250

View Profile
April 28, 2013, 06:27:55 AM

The cost effective ability to buy and sell worldwide.

If your ignore button isn't glowing, you're doing it wrong.
BitMagnet

Activity: 11

View Profile
April 28, 2013, 06:31:32 AM

I find it fascinating that there are no borders in bitcoin.  It doesn't matter if I'm paying my buddy next door or my friend on the other side of the planet - same transaction and cost - that is amazing.
BTCAviator

Activity: 69
Merit: 10

View Profile
April 28, 2013, 06:58:27 AM

I like that I can send a bitcoin payment to someone on the opposite side of the world just as easily as sending a payment to someone standing beside me.

As cheesy as this might sound, I think bitcoin will bring the people of the world closer together.
RedHoops

Activity: 9

View Profile
April 28, 2013, 07:18:25 AM

Greedy Rothschild bankers and their ilk haven't found a way to get their bloody hands on BitCoin yet.
Rodyland

Activity: 499
Merit: 500

View Profile
April 28, 2013, 07:54:02 AM

Honestly, the haters.  I get it that people think it's stupid, that it's a waste of time and money, that it's doomed to fail (and I disagree of course, but I can understand the concept of someone who can't see what I see).

But the ferocity with which the haters come in to our house and tell us, basically, that we are fools.... it astounds me. 

I think that people who spend their spare time painting Warhammer figurines are wasting their time and money too, but you don't see me dropping into Gamers Workshop every Saturday to yell at those enjoying their hobby.

And now for an answer more in the vein of what you really meant - the things that can be built on top of bitcoin.  This one: http://www.bitescrow.org/ is one recent example that really blew my mind when I realised what it could do and how it works.

Beware the weak hands!
1NcL6Mjm4qeiYYi2rpoCtQopPrH4PyKfUC
GPG ID: E3AA41E3
neil_mccauley

Activity: 46

View Profile
April 28, 2013, 08:22:11 AM

I took a class in cryptography and one of the topics covered was anonymous internet cash.  I've worked in Cryptography for the last three years and the crypto-side of how the cryptocurrencies work is so interesting to me.
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: