Bitcoin Forum
May 03, 2024, 09:56:12 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: 2013-04-27 RT: Canada to tax Bitcoin transactions - TV  (Read 1027 times)
The 4ner (OP)
aka newbitcoinqtuser

Activity: 602
Merit: 500

R.I.P Silk Road 1.0

View Profile
April 27, 2013, 04:47:37 PM

Canadians using bitcoins, the decentralized crypto-currency that recently went mainstream, must report their incomes and pay taxes as with other earnings, Canada's Revenue Agency (CRA) confirmed following a media request.

The issue was clarified in response to a letter by the Canadian Broadcasting Corporation (CBC) ahead of the country's tax season.

Two separate tax rules are applicable to the electronic currency, CRA spokesperson Philippe Brideau told CBC in an email.

When bitcoins are used as money to buy goods and services, the transaction is treated as barter and is taxable as such. When they are traded at a market for profit, they may be taxed as capital gains.

"When bitcoins are bought or sold like a commodity, any resulting gains or losses could be income or capital for the taxpayer depending on the specific facts," the CRA ruled.

The Bitcoin community is well aware that governments may soon tax their operations: A Bitcoin wiki page on the issue says taxation depends on jurisdiction, and suggests consulting a professional lawyer or accountant.

The currency was created with the idea of protecting transactions from outside control and shielding the anonymity of users; law enforcers have long eyed Bitcoin as a tool for money laundering and illicit deals.

"The system of tracking money is based on banking," David D. Stewart, an international tax reporter for Tax Analyst told Business Insider, when the website asked him to explain how bitcoins are taxed in the US. "I could transfer $100,000 worth of bitcoins to someone and no one would know about it really."

The nature of the currency makes it attractive for would-be tax evaders, whethr motivated by simple greed or the political belief that levying taxes is an act of violence on the part of the government, and should be resisted.

Bitcoin drew mainstream media attention recently when the total value of the currency briefly topped $1 billion, and wild price swings in the Bitcoin market promised a high-risk-high-profit opportunity for traders.

Can crypto currency users even be tracked given that there is a sort of anonymity when using it? How will your current country know that you're even using a crypto currency, let alone profiting off it?

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Activity + Trust + Earned Merit == The Most Recognized Users on Bitcointalk
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
odolvlobo
Legendary

Activity: 4298
Merit: 3214

View Profile
April 27, 2013, 05:08:54 PM

Can crypto currency users even be tracked given that there is a sort of anonymity when using it? How will your current country know that you're even using a crypto currency, let alone profiting off it?

Not reporting the income is tax evasion. Wearing a mask while robbing a bank is still robbing a bank.

Join an anti-signature campaign: Click ignore on the members of signature campaigns.
PGP Fingerprint: 6B6BC26599EC24EF7E29A405EAF050539D0B2925 Signing address: 13GAVJo8YaAuenj6keiEykwxWUZ7jMoSLt
lowlevel

Activity: 159
Merit: 100

View Profile
April 27, 2013, 05:10:38 PM

This is going to get pretty complicated... I mean... sure I've pulled $ out, but I've put more IN in the form of hardware and electricity. I'm thinking if I try to claim a loss I"m just going to get audited :/ Maybe this is what gets people (at least Canadians) to actually try to buy stuff for bitcoins.

Would you rather talk Altcoins? - https://cryptocointalk.com/
skull88

Activity: 683
Merit: 500

View Profile
April 27, 2013, 10:18:04 PM

So how is the taxation working if you don't sell your bitcoins because what I can understand from this text even than it is taxable? Which exchange rate they are going to use?
The most logical would be they let you pay taxes in bitcoins for the bitcoins you earned, but I guess they don't have plans in that direction.

BTC: 1MifMqtqqwMMAbb6zr8u6qEzWqq3CQeGUr
LTC: LhvMYEngkKS2B8FAcbnzHb2dvW8n9eHkdp
Brushan

Activity: 224
Merit: 10

View Profile
April 27, 2013, 10:51:41 PM

This is the step that will make people actually buy things with BTC and not just speculate.
bitcool
Legendary

Activity: 1441
Merit: 1000

Live and enjoy experiments

View Profile
April 27, 2013, 11:03:04 PM

So how is the taxation working if you don't sell your bitcoins because what I can understand from this text even than it is taxable? Which exchange rate they are going to use?
The most logical would be they let you pay taxes in bitcoins for the bitcoins you earned, but I guess they don't have plans in that direction.
Exactly. Without recognizing btc as a currency, it's a stupid law and next to impossible to enforce.

All bartering examples given by IRS in its publication involve some form of service being provided. afaik, pure goods-to-goods bartering is not included.

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: