Bitcoin Forum
May 28, 2024, 11:19:47 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: GUI Miner won't Work  (Read 1751 times)
BitshireHashaway (OP)

Activity: 182
Merit: 100

View Profile WWW
April 27, 2013, 05:53:30 PM

So I am interested in getting started in Bit coin mining as part of a pool (Slush's Pool), just to see how everything works. I want to use my Alienware m14x computer for this (it has a Nvidia 650m 2gb), which I know is not the best, but I just want to see how everything works, and then I can upgrade and such if I think it is worth it. (I'm using Windows)

Anyway, my problem is is that when I open GUI Miner, it shows the little GUI Miner minimzied window at the bottom of my screen, but when I click on it, the it disappears, and I can only see it running in my bottom right taskbar. What do I need to do in order to be able to get the actual window to appear on my screen so that I can start mining? Do I need to have finished downloading all the blocks or something for it to work?

A popular reply I saw out there is change your pbolmc.ini (something similar to that) to a value of 0, however when I search the guiminer folder, I can only find it in the .exe format.

Looking for any help, and thanks ahead!
auseeker

Activity: 31
Merit: 0

View Profile
April 27, 2013, 06:14:00 PM

I would delete the extracted folder and download a fresh copy from here

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=3878.0

psipower

Activity: 15

View Profile
April 27, 2013, 06:19:47 PM

Right-clicking on the task-bar icon hopefully gives three options - pause, restore and close. Restore should open it up for normal interaction.

I'm on Slush's pool, and that option should be in the 'server' drop down box. This will put the relevant info into some of the boxes for you.

Fill out your user.worker name e.g. psipower.worker1, and your password for that worker (which you have created in your account with Slush), select the relevant device - presumably your graphics card - and click 'start mining'. You may see it connect to api2.mining, but get transferred automatically to the stratum servers (more efficient, less fees).

You can save this configuration using File, save settings. Then if you re-start the program anytime, you just need to click 'start mining'!

Then it's time to play around with the other bits and find out what gives you the best rate!!!!

I found setting a CPU affinity box improved my rate.

You may find this helpful for various flags to improve your rate:

https://en.bitcoin.it/wiki/Mining_hardware_comparison
iwannagofast

Activity: 5

View Profile
April 27, 2013, 06:23:17 PM

Good luck!
Kruncha

Activity: 644
Merit: 250

View Profile
April 27, 2013, 06:27:09 PM

Hi, if still not working, try this:

In the taskbar, left-click once on the folder icon so it gains focus
Now, press "ALT-Space" (you will see a menu appear on the folder)
Press "M" to choose the Move option (your cursor will now turn into four arrow points).
Press any of the cursor keys once (this will move your folder on the screen and it will be captured by the mouse)
Move your mouse about and you will see the folder moving with it
Left-Click to "drop" the folder onto your desktop.

Hope it helps (thanks to pixilated8)

K.
BitshireHashaway (OP)

View Profile WWW
April 27, 2013, 06:40:32 PM

I would delete the extracted folder and download a fresh copy from here

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=3878.0

Did not work, but thank you so much for trying!
auseeker

View Profile
April 27, 2013, 06:49:19 PM

Try Kruncha's fix. Also, having a desktop shortcut to guiminer is awesome. Right click guiminer.exe in the extracted folder and "send to desktop".
wozza

Activity: 13

View Profile
April 27, 2013, 06:50:45 PM

delete contents of ../appdata/roaming/poclbm
BitshireHashaway (OP)

View Profile WWW
April 27, 2013, 06:56:16 PM

Good luck!

Thank you!
auseeker

View Profile
April 27, 2013, 06:56:48 PM

+1 that outta do it.
BitshireHashaway (OP)

View Profile WWW
April 27, 2013, 07:09:17 PM

Right-clicking on the task-bar icon hopefully gives three options - pause, restore and close. Restore should open it up for normal interaction.

I'm on Slush's pool, and that option should be in the 'server' drop down box. This will put the relevant info into some of the boxes for you.

Fill out your user.worker name e.g. psipower.worker1, and your password for that worker (which you have created in your account with Slush), select the relevant device - presumably your graphics card - and click 'start mining'. You may see it connect to api2.mining, but get transferred automatically to the stratum servers (more efficient, less fees).

You can save this configuration using File, save settings. Then if you re-start the program anytime, you just need to click 'start mining'!

Then it's time to play around with the other bits and find out what gives you the best rate!!!!

I found setting a CPU affinity box improved my rate.

You may find this helpful for various flags to improve your rate:

https://en.bitcoin.it/wiki/Mining_hardware_comparison

Thanks for the help, I will keep the later information in mind after I get it working, but for now, I tried the restore button, and it put the icon on the bottom, but when I clicked the icon, it just disappeared again.
BitshireHashaway (OP)

View Profile WWW
April 27, 2013, 07:10:21 PM

Try Kruncha's fix. Also, having a desktop shortcut to guiminer is awesome. Right click guiminer.exe in the extracted folder and "send to desktop".

Thanks for the advice will do.
BitshireHashaway (OP)

View Profile WWW
April 27, 2013, 07:11:15 PM

Press "M" to choose the Move option (your cursor will now turn into four arrow points).
Press any of the cursor keys once (this will move your folder on the screen and it will be captured by the mouse)

K.

I got to as far as the press any of the cursor keys once (which I assume means press the right or left click keys when the four-arrow thing appears). However, after doing that the folder did not appear, so I don't think it was captured by the mouse?
BitshireHashaway (OP)

View Profile WWW
April 27, 2013, 07:14:23 PM

I could not find that folder on my computer.

Thank you everyone for the overwhelming support and quick replies, I really appreciate it. However, sadly I still have not managed to solve the problem, so I am still looking for more help. I really appreciate you guys taking your time to try and help me get started though, it really means a lot!
Kruncha

View Profile
April 27, 2013, 07:14:56 PM

K.

I got to as far as the press any of the cursor keys once (which I assume means press the right or left click keys when the four-arrow thing appears). However, after doing that the folder did not appear, so I don't think it was captured by the mouse?

it means the up,down,left and right on the keyboard.

K.
BitshireHashaway (OP)

View Profile WWW
April 27, 2013, 07:43:31 PM

K.

K.

Thanks. But now the move button is not highlighted anymore:(. Any advice on that?
Technologov

Activity: 203

View Profile
April 27, 2013, 07:50:35 PM

"BitshireHathaway" ha ha Smiley What-a-nick ! I love it !

Anyway - I would like to join ASICminers. Any1 knows where to buy shares ?
auseeker

View Profile
April 27, 2013, 07:51:15 PM

Search for file poclbm and delete. In windows, click start and type poclbm into search box. Delete and try running guiminer again  Tongue

note: this will delete any mining info you've saved, so for slush, you'll need stratum.bitcoin.cz:3333 and your log-in info. Good luck
Kruncha

View Profile
April 27, 2013, 08:01:19 PM

K.

K.

Thanks. But now the move button is not highlighted anymore:(. Any advice on that?

Just follow the whole instructions from the beginning.

K.
BitshireHashaway (OP)

View Profile WWW
April 27, 2013, 08:07:33 PM

"BitshireHathaway" ha ha Smiley What-a-nick ! I love it !

Anyway - I would like to join ASICminers. Any1 knows where to buy shares ?

Off topic but anyway, here is where you can buy it: https://btct.co/security/ASICMINER-PT

A quick google search should give you all the options.
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: