Bitcoin Forum
July 13, 2024, 12:35:39 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Collectively working to move the market in order to profit. Is this moral?  (Read 638 times)
baritus (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 966
Merit: 1052

View Profile
April 27, 2013, 06:01:58 PM

Hello,

I am currently in the middle stages of a project focused on giving people a way to set a market goal, and work together to make the market reach that point. For those of you wondering how this would be profitable, consider the LTC, PPC, NVC, TRC markets. These are thin markets and a co-operation between traders could move the price significantly in either direction.

From my point of view, there is nothing wrong with it since it is just a pooling of resources in a decentralized manner where everyone retains control of their own assets. Still, decentralization and a central point of co-operation are not mutually exclusive, but rather each requires the other to thrive. I intend to provide that central point.

From an ethical point of you, and/or in your opinion, is this moral?

Digitalcoin - Sha256, Scrypt, x11 Mining - Multi-algorithm & One Click Masternodes - Founded in 2013
myrkul

Activity: 532
Merit: 500

FIAT LIBERTAS RVAT CAELVM

View Profile WWW
April 27, 2013, 06:13:45 PM

Moral or not (it's not immoral, and I'll leave it at that), I predict you will have all sorts of prisoner's dilemma problems.

BTC1MYRkuLv4XPBa6bGnYAronz55grPAGcxja
Need Dispute resolution? Public Key ID: 0x11D341CF
No person has the right to initiate force, threat of force, or fraud against another person or their property. VIM VI REPELLERE LICET
baritus (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
April 27, 2013, 06:27:22 PM

Moral or not (it's not immoral, and I'll leave it at that), I predict you will have all sorts of prisoner's dilemma problems.

How do you mean? Even if some do not follow through, the moves can still be successful because the majority is working for it. Of course, it's also possible to increase your trust and so people will rely on your promises more.

Digitalcoin - Sha256, Scrypt, x11 Mining - Multi-algorithm & One Click Masternodes - Founded in 2013
myrkul

Activity: 532
Merit: 500

FIAT LIBERTAS RVAT CAELVM

View Profile WWW
April 27, 2013, 06:32:54 PM

How do you mean? Even if some do not follow through, the moves can still be successful because the majority is working for it. Of course, it's also possible to increase your trust and so people will rely on your promises more.

You get 8 or 10 big money movers to agree to collectively "pump" a market, what's to stop one from "dumping" early, screwing the rest of you?

BTC1MYRkuLv4XPBa6bGnYAronz55grPAGcxja
Need Dispute resolution? Public Key ID: 0x11D341CF
No person has the right to initiate force, threat of force, or fraud against another person or their property. VIM VI REPELLERE LICET
FirstAscent

Activity: 812
Merit: 1000

View Profile
April 27, 2013, 06:35:42 PM

Don't be the one holding the bag, so to speak.

The only way to make it work is if others, not part of the game, are momentum followers. In other words, your gang would be the catalyst to break resistance, which brings in the momentum players.
baritus (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
April 27, 2013, 07:21:36 PM

Of course once the "gang" starts moving the market, others will join in and buy in hopes of cashing in. It's not very hard to get people pumped up.

Elwar
Legendary

Activity: 3598
Merit: 2386

Viva Ut Vivas

View Profile WWW
April 29, 2013, 12:50:44 AM

You get 8 or 10 big money movers to agree to collectively "pump" a market, what's to stop one from "dumping" early, screwing the rest of you?

I have considered this as well. Think of it as a club where rich guys all gather in a smoke filled back room.

You all agree to do something, you all do it then show proof that you did it.

Those that do not do it are no longer get to join those rich guys in the smoke filled back room to find out when the next move is.

And the key to being part of it is to make money. As long as there is long term incentive to keep making that money then there is less incentive to try to screw over the group.

First seastead company actually selling sea homes: Ocean Builders https://ocean.builders  Of course we accept bitcoin.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: