Bitcoin Forum
May 08, 2024, 09:34:47 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 »
  Print  
Author Topic: Decrits: The 99%+ attack-proof coin  (Read 45353 times)
Etlase2 (OP)

Activity: 798
Merit: 1000

View Profile
April 28, 2013, 06:21:41 PM

and what happens when they are corrupted?

Your question proposes that the entire network is corrupt. If everyone is in on it, no one is in on anything. What happens if all the mining pools are corrupt? Which is more likely: corrupting a few dozen or hundred people that either control the power of the network (via pools) or control that power directly (in the event of "specialized" mining centers that eliminate any margin for regular people) without even being required to own bitcoins, or thousands to potentially hundreds of thousands of people that have received or purchased Decrits and have put that money, instead of hardware, on the line as collateral to protect the network in return for a portion of network transaction fees? Each having a real, individual ability to shape the course of the network?

you really don't understand the sybil attack do you?

Your continued unsubstantiated accusations are getting old. I have responded politely and in detail each time so far then you jump to another topic, wait for my explanation, then call into question my intellgence without conceding or continuing to argue the previous point. Twice now even responding with an attack vector to a post that already provides the answer to that vector, and using my "lack of knowledge" as proof.

"This is thwarted by the larger and more diverse CN, [...] The only way to get around this is to also control the vast majority of the CN, and really, a large portion of the CNCs/SPs as well. At this point you are just playing with yourself. Don't forget that this will also require a not insignificant percentage of all the coins in existence."

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Even if you use Bitcoin through Tor, the way transactions are handled by the network makes anonymity difficult to achieve. Do not expect your transactions to be anonymous unless you really know what you're doing.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
kokjo
Legendary

Activity: 1050

You are WRONG!

View Profile
April 28, 2013, 06:32:57 PM

Your continued unsubstantiated accusations are getting old. I have responded politely and in detail each time so far then you jump to another topic, wait for my explanation, then call into question my intellgence without conceding or continuing to argue the previous point. Twice now even responding with an attack vector to a post that already provides the answer to that vector, and using my "lack of knowledge" as proof.

"This is thwarted by the larger and more diverse CN, [...] The only way to get around this is to also control the vast majority of the CN, and really, a large portion of the CNCs/SPs as well. At this point you are just playing with yourself. Don't forget that this will also require a not insignificant percentage of all the coins in existence."
come up with a working implementation, give me the source and i will destroy it. the bet still stands.

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves and wiser people so full of doubts." -Bertrand Russell
Etlase2 (OP)

View Profile
April 28, 2013, 06:40:59 PM

come up with a working implementation, give me the source and i will destroy it. the bet still stands.

Exactly, the bet is still live. I am taking this post to mean that you are calling back your demand for immediate payment in this post:

your system is huge , complex and failish, there is alot of stuff that could and will go wrong. you are giving the power of the system to the devs(central control) from the start. and you cannot buy in with out all current SH agrees. and no one hold my money, and the network cannot do such a task without central control, or the possibility of fail.

bitcoin is different: anyone can buy hardware to mine, no one have(or can ever gain) absolute veto rights.

now give me my btc: 13MXCTA2CPYbREMqNaf5VK2ArSc3QYm8cc

Which means you concede that, on paper, you have not been able to defeat the system. Tongue

kokjo
Legendary

You are WRONG!

View Profile
April 28, 2013, 07:53:58 PM

your system is huge , complex and failish, there is alot of stuff that could and will go wrong. you are giving the power of the system to the devs(central control) from the start. and you cannot buy in with out all current SH agrees. and no one hold my money, and the network cannot do such a task without central control, or the possibility of fail.

bitcoin is different: anyone can buy hardware to mine, no one have(or can ever gain) absolute veto rights.

now give me my btc: 13MXCTA2CPYbREMqNaf5VK2ArSc3QYm8cc
Which means you concede that, on paper, you have not been able to defeat the system. Tongue
you could say that, but you have yet to fully specify the system and as a consequence i can only poke around and look for week points.

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves and wiser people so full of doubts." -Bertrand Russell
Etlase2 (OP)

View Profile
April 28, 2013, 08:33:03 PM

you could say that, but you have yet to fully specify the system and as a consequence i can only poke around and look for week points.

I agree. However, if the network can perform as I will describe, the best EvilCorp. can do is temporarily fork the network. This is the "end game" scenario if EvilCorp has sufficiently infiltrated the CN and the SHs. What they will accomplish is being able to confuse *some* people temporarily, at the cost of their shares being destroyed on the honest network. Unlike bitcoin, an attempted takeover will be quickly and ultimately obvious to everyone who has paid attention to the network for any length of time (SH activity is kept in separate ledger so that even light clients can verify the network has not had any problems very easily and for a small amount of bandwidth).

To convince the people that EvilCorp.'s network is the honest one, they would have to control every corner of communication within and outside the network. It simply is not feasible for anyone to accomplish this in a sufficiently large network (or even a pretty small one). Honest merchants are intended to be the primary SHs because they will be able to recoup their transaction fees for essentially no effort while securing transactions at the same time by only keeping track of network data they already needed to keep track of for timely confirmations (efficiency++, decentralization++). If you are one of the confused and Amazon, Walmart, and Best Buy all say "hey d00ds, this one's the honest network", do you believe them, or do you go with the side that isn't identifying itself?

And what can this attack accomplish? Potentially getting away with a few double/bad spends on an unsuspecting victim who manages to agree to part with product even though half the network is missing? They will destroy the shares of the honest side of the network and could then potentially change the code, but no one is going to buy it.

It is an idea I came up with very early on in the Encoin proposals: allowing EvilCorp. to make its own fork and let the users decide which fork loses every single decrit they invested in causing these shenanigans. It is a PERMANENT solution to eliminating a threat at the cost of temporary confusion that will be caused anyway. Honest bitcoin miners cannot destroy EvilCorp.'s mining hardware, so they are free to continue to mess with the network on a whim. Point: Massively in favor of Decrits.

kokjo
Legendary

You are WRONG!

View Profile
April 28, 2013, 08:41:35 PM

I agree. However, if the network can perform as I will describe, the best EvilCorp. can do is temporarily fork the network. This is the "end game" scenario if EvilCorp has sufficiently infiltrated the CN and the SHs. What they will accomplish is being able to confuse *some* people temporarily, at the cost of their shares being destroyed on the honest network. Unlike bitcoin, an attempted takeover will be quickly and ultimately obvious to everyone who has paid attention to the network for any length of time (SH activity is kept in separate ledger so that even light clients can verify the network has not had any problems very easily and for a small amount of bandwidth).

To convince the people that EvilCorp.'s network is the honest one, they would have to control every corner of communication within and outside the network. It simply is not feasible for anyone to accomplish this in a sufficiently large network (or even a pretty small one). Honest merchants are intended to be the primary SHs because they will be able to recoup their transaction fees for essentially no effort while securing transactions at the same time by only keeping track of network data they already needed to keep track of for timely confirmations (efficiency++, decentralization++). If you are one of the confused and Amazon, Walmart, and Best Buy all say "hey d00ds, this one's the honest network", do you believe them, or do you go with the side that isn't identifying itself?

And what can this attack accomplish? Potentially getting away with a few double/bad spends on an unsuspecting victim who manages to agree to part with product even though half the network is missing? They will destroy the shares of the honest side of the network and could then potentially change the code, but no one is going to buy it.

It is an idea I came up with very early on in the Encoin proposals: allowing EvilCorp. to make its own fork and let the users decide which fork loses every single decrit they invested in causing these shenanigans. It is a PERMANENT solution to eliminating a threat at the cost of temporary confusion that will be caused anyway. Honest bitcoin miners cannot destroy EvilCorp.'s mining hardware, so they are free to continue to mess with the network on a whim. Point: Massively in favor of Decrits.
the bitcoin network itself is not resistant against a 51% attack, true. but the people that monitors it are hard to confuse, and knows when its not working.

Etlase2 (OP)

View Profile
April 28, 2013, 08:48:06 PM

the bitcoin network itself is not resistant against a 51% attack, true. but the people that monitors it are hard to confuse, and knows when its not working.

Correct, but dishonest mining hardware can't be destroyed; Decrits shares can. The people that monitor Decrits are being paid to do so, whereas only miners in bitcoin get paid, decentralization++. They also have a say in which network is correct by dropping suspicious TB activity. Non-miners in bitcoin have no say. And all this is achieved without using proof-of-work.

If 99% of the SHs are completely corrupt and 100% of the CN is completely honest: Decrits user unaffected.* It's a slam dunk in BFT.

* - a slight overstatement as transactions will be delayed for awhile, but otherwise no biggie

kokjo
Legendary

You are WRONG!

View Profile
April 28, 2013, 08:51:23 PM

Correct, but dishonest mining hardware can't be destroyed; Decrits shares can. The people that monitor Decrits are being paid to do so, whereas only miners in bitcoin get paid, decentralization++. They also have a say in which network is correct by dropping suspicious TB activity. Non-miners in bitcoin have no say. And all this is achieved without using proof-of-work.

If 99% of the SHs are completely corrupt and 100% of the CN is completely honest: Decrits user unaffected. It's a slam dunk in BFT.
and i still claim that your system can be exploited when you are a implementation.

Etlase2 (OP)

View Profile
April 28, 2013, 09:06:19 PM

and i still claim that your system can be exploited when you are a implementation.

And I accepted your wager. Smiley

kokjo
Legendary

You are WRONG!

View Profile
April 29, 2013, 04:24:06 PM

may i ask which part of CAP you intend to sacrifice?

aaaxn

Activity: 359
Merit: 250

View Profile
April 29, 2013, 04:53:17 PM
Last edit: April 29, 2013, 05:38:58 PM by aaaxn

I have two questions:

How does single transaction look?
who maintains list of shareholders and how new node know its connected to right network and not attacker one? In other words: if new node connects to network and one peer says that state of network looks like this and X are shareholders and other peer says it looks differently and Y are shareholders how do it tell which one is correct?

█
                              █████████                  ██████ 
                      ███████████████████████████   
              ███████████████████████████████   
            ████████████████████████████████   
        █████████████████████████████████     
    ████████████████████████████████████   
    ████████          █████████          █████████   
  ████████                ██████              ████████   
█████████                █████                ████████   
███████████                █                ███████████ 
██████████████                      ██████████████