Bitcoin Forum
April 18, 2024, 09:09:28 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Bitcoin-qt uses alot of processor when syncing : why?  (Read 851 times)
techman05 (OP)

Activity: 546
Merit: 500

View Profile WWW
April 27, 2013, 08:47:24 PM

I thought bitcoin-qt was downloading a file to check off if the numbers matched and then I use a miner for mining but this program pulls more than the miner I have set up. My pc went up from 40 C and tipped 100C to which my pc shut itself down. Theres been 4300 blocks in the last week and its constantly bring in new ones so it never stops per se.

Is there anyway to throttle it since its pulling so much load on my pc.

At least I know why my pc is shutting down when I'm not mining.... THE DARN WALLET IS TREATED LIKE A MINER WHILE IT SYNCS.

Thanks

Like the info address for potential tips Wink
BTC 1CL5BnNhdL2wDVmSDwMbW1cNhZew87CAPV
* http://www.miningrigrentals.com/register?ref=563
Unlike traditional banking where clients have only a few account numbers, with Bitcoin people can create an unlimited number of accounts (addresses). This can be used to easily track payments, and it improves anonymity.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
Gabi
Legendary

Activity: 1148
Merit: 1008

If you want to walk on water, get out of the boat

View Profile
April 27, 2013, 08:54:04 PM
Merited by Foxpup (1)

If your pc reach 100°C just to verify the blockchain then something is VERY VERY VERY wrong

Don't blame the software for your epic fail computer

As for why it use the processor: it verify each block it get

techman05 (OP)

View Profile WWW
April 27, 2013, 08:59:46 PM

what ever the heck is going on that program is using alot to do it. I turn it off and normal life continues.

I'm stating my results that it is an intensive program, more than I thought it was.

I reserve my right to say that a program is not working as I thought it to be.

Gabi
Legendary

View Profile
April 27, 2013, 09:03:27 PM

The program is working exactly how it should. It is downloading blocks and verifying them to make sure they correctly relate to the blockchain and are not fake/with errors/whatelse. Otherwise you would risk to download random data.

It is NOT intensive. If that software create so many problems to your computer, then the computer have problems. Serious problems.

techman05 (OP)

View Profile WWW
April 27, 2013, 09:17:01 PM

My computer works fine. Until I find other wise I'm just going to remove this program from startup and keep my eye out for an update that doesn't kill my pc under normal operation. That kind of verifying should be done elsewhere and not on my pc. I want the final verified blocks for my wallet especially if I'm not getting bitcoin to do it.

BChydro

Activity: 1426
Merit: 506

View Profile
April 27, 2013, 09:22:45 PM

The program is working exactly how it should. It is downloading blocks and verifying them to make sure they correctly relate to the blockchain and are not fake/with errors/whatelse. Otherwise you would risk to download random data.

It is NOT intensive. If that software create so many problems to your computer, then the computer have problems. Serious problems.
Well, I don't know about calling it "NOT intensive." The wallet program has to download all the blocks, hash each of them to ensure they meet the criteria and are indeed a part of the block chain, then scan each block for a transaction with a wallet address that the client owns. At least, that's my understanding of it. My laptop gets pretty warm when it goes on a long catch up run, but not 100C hot!
Rex_Heston

Activity: 69
Merit: 10

View Profile
April 27, 2013, 09:28:56 PM

My computer works fine. Until I find other wise I'm just going to remove this program from startup and keep my eye out for an update that doesn't kill my pc under normal operation. That kind of verifying should be done elsewhere and not on my pc. I want the final verified blocks for my wallet especially if I'm not getting bitcoin to do it.

I would look at why your PC gets that hot under load, honestly. Believe me, I've built enough PCs to know that isn't supposed to be happening, no matter how "intense" something is on the processor. Even the stock heatsink is designed to cool adequately under full load for an indefinite amount of time.

If it can do it with Bitcoin, it can do it with anything. You just haven't run another program that does that amount of processing. Games could do it, though, so if you want to avoid the issue, I'd look at better cooling, ASAP.

Did I help you today, or just like my style? Toss a couple coins my direction!
BTC: 1GntmzMELxewbS2BagH2CqRNv9CuVfgcsb; DOGE: DLmXSyGQzkJMKYFTS12aiGUC4V38gNHu1W
Gabi
Legendary

View Profile
April 27, 2013, 09:29:48 PM

Pffft, i constantly run BOINC on my pc, for years. All four cores at 100%, always. Temperature? 65-70°, no problems at all.

The bitcoin-qt client should create no problems at all! Not even on a laptop

techman05 (OP)

View Profile WWW
April 27, 2013, 09:38:24 PM

I'm not running any games at the time . I was just checking my email after full boot and would hear the fan kick in. The pc is unmodified  Lenovo t410 with a core i5 processor. As far as I know the fan is clean and runs most games that I want to play fine.

If I turn of the wallet the fan calms down and goes back down. I can mine if i want though its gpu is not up to snuff with anything to make a profit on.

That's my thought right now.

bobbyb

Activity: 109

View Profile
April 27, 2013, 10:12:59 PM

It is quite intensive, the verification uses up to 80% of my Phenom 2 X6 1100 (all six cores) and the temp goes 15° C up (from 30 to 45).
Foxpup
Legendary

Activity: 4340
Merit: 3041

Vile Vixen and Miss Bitcointalk 2021-2023

View Profile
April 29, 2013, 06:10:14 AM

Your computer most definitely does not "work fine". If it's overheating with the CPU at 100% load, there's something seriously wrong. Note that most modern games don't use 100% of your CPU, since they do most of their processing on your graphics card, so just because you can run games fine does not mean your computer is working properly. Either the fans are defective, the heatsink is not properly attached, the case has no airflow, or either the fans or heatsink are extremely dirty. Blow out the fans and heatsink with compressed air, make sure the case has adequate airflow (not too close to a wall or something), and if it still doesn't work, take it back to the place you bought it (if it's still under warranty) or else pay someone to fix it, because your computer is defective.

There is nothing wrong with the software: it's just using your CPU in the way it was designed to be used, to process data. If your CPU overheats as a result of this completely normal usage, the problem is with your computer, not the software.

Will pretend to do unspeakable things (while actually eating a taco) for bitcoins: 1K6d1EviQKX3SVKjPYmJGyWBb1avbmCFM4
I am not on the scammers' paradise known as Telegram! Do not believe anyone claiming to be me off-forum without a signed message from the above address! Accept no excuses and make no exceptions!
techman05 (OP)

View Profile WWW
April 29, 2013, 01:40:38 PM

I opened it up just recently and blew what I could out with 44 being "normal" without the wallet running. Why heck if ts verifying is it not using my gpu in the first place. If I turn off the wallet I can do some small mining without my pc over heating. I thought that's why cpu mining is a dead art.

When I run this I try to turn everything else but pc protection sofware. The big games I have  use gpu so I'm not quite sure how to see how my pc handles other items.

See it as you like but pushes my buttons the wrong way and I will try another once I can get it to verify my coins so I can transfer them out.

namecoinwallet

Activity: 6
Merit: 0

View Profile
April 29, 2013, 01:50:39 PM

That is strange, it can sometimes use a lot of bandwidth but I didn't hear about processor.
Foxpup
Legendary

Activity: 4340
Merit: 3041

Vile Vixen and Miss Bitcointalk 2021-2023

View Profile
April 29, 2013, 02:48:19 PM

That is strange, it can sometimes use a lot of bandwidth but I didn't hear about processor.
You didn't hear about it because high CPU usage isn't a major problem. At worst it causes other applications to run a bit slower.

If high CPU usage cause your computer to overheat, your computer's cooling system is defective in some way. It is broken and it needs to be fixed. It's as simple as that.

Will pretend to do unspeakable things (while actually eating a taco) for bitcoins: 1K6d1EviQKX3SVKjPYmJGyWBb1avbmCFM4
I am not on the scammers' paradise known as Telegram! Do not believe anyone claiming to be me off-forum without a signed message from the above address! Accept no excuses and make no exceptions!
mhps

Activity: 516

CAT.EX Exchange

View Profile
April 29, 2013, 03:36:27 PM

My pc went up from 40 C and tipped 100C to which my pc shut itself down.

Open the case and clean the internal parts of your PC. Remove dust especially on the vent and on the heat changer attached to the CPU.

|(
▄▄██████████▄▄
▄██████████████████▄
▄█████▀ ▀█████▀ ▀██████▄
██████ ███ ▀▀▀ ███ ███████
██████▀▄███████████▄▀███████
███████ █████████████ ████████
███████ █████████████ ████████
████████▄▀█████████▀▄█████████
██████████▄ █████ ▄█▀▄▄▄▀█████
██████████ ████▌▐█ █▀▄█ ████
████████▌▐█████ █▌▐█▄▄████
▀█████▀ ██████▄ ▀ █████▀
▀██████████████████▀
▀▀██████████▀▀
)(.
)
▌   ANNOUNCE THREAD   ▌▐   BOUNTY   ▐
TWITTER  |  FACEBOOK  |  TELEGRAM  |  DISCORD
(((((((   MOBILE APP [ ANDROID / IOS ]   )))))))
)
Rex_Heston

Activity: 69

View Profile
April 29, 2013, 03:59:09 PM

Quote from: Foxpup
Your computer most definitely does not "work fine". If it's overheating with the CPU at 100% load, there's something seriously wrong. Note that most modern games don't use 100% of your CPU, since they do most of their processing on your graphics card, so just because you can run games fine does not mean your computer is working properly. Either the fans are defective, the heatsink is not properly attached, the case has no airflow, or either the fans or heatsink are extremely dirty. Blow out the fans and heatsink with compressed air, make sure the case has adequate airflow (not too close to a wall or something), and if it still doesn't work, take it back to the place you bought it (if it's still under warranty) or else pay someone to fix it, because your computer is defective.

There is nothing wrong with the software: it's just using your CPU in the way it was designed to be used, to process data. If your CPU overheats as a result of this completely normal usage, the problem is with your computer, not the software.

Quote from: Foxpup
If high CPU usage cause your computer to overheat, your computer's cooling system is defective in some way. It is broken and it needs to be fixed. It's as simple as that.

Pffft, i constantly run BOINC on my pc, for years. All four cores at 100%, always. Temperature? 65-70°, no problems at all.

The bitcoin-qt client should create no problems at all! Not even on a laptop

I second all of these posts. Your computer *needs* to be checked out. Just because you can't see the problem unless you run bitcoin-qt doesn't mean it isn't there. I can run Prime95, possibly *the* most intensive burn-in application for processors, indefinitely, with just the stock heatsink/fan. No special cooling, and an ambient room temp that can get as high as 80 degrees Fahrenheit, if not a little higher sometimes.

You got a problem, most definitely, and the bitcoin client ain't it.

Did I help you today, or just like my style? Toss a couple coins my direction!
BTC: 1GntmzMELxewbS2BagH2CqRNv9CuVfgcsb; DOGE: DLmXSyGQzkJMKYFTS12aiGUC4V38gNHu1W
roflplatypus

Activity: 28
Merit: 0

View Profile
April 29, 2013, 05:08:09 PM

well yeah, the computer sounds like it's very old. bitcoin mining/blockchaining isn't for those of weak computer.
FiatKiller

Activity: 378
Merit: 250

View Profile
April 29, 2013, 05:15:14 PM

I do agree that the bitcoin wallet is much more intensive than either Litecoin or Feathercoin wallets are...

LTC: LdxgJQLUdr8hZ79BV5AYbxkBUdaXctXAPi
MoonCoin Gambling: https://coin-horse.com/MON/
techman05 (OP)

View Profile WWW
April 29, 2013, 08:07:43 PM

well yeah, the computer sounds like it's very old. bitcoin mining/blockchaining isn't for those of weak computer.

I wasn't intending to mine on it. I was intending to use bitcoin-qt as it was shown, as a wallet. Everyone's post I've read so far says I shouldn't keep both in the same place anyway. Old or not it just does not like my pc.

My nearby store advertises free checkup (if that includes dust check I have no idea). Apparently thinkpads have a tendency to suck in junk but if it is the case and they pop it open that is that, but still 50C to 100C would still mean something to the "wow what just happened" factor without mining hashes.

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: