Bitcoin Forum
May 12, 2024, 05:04:04 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Stock markets do the right thing at the wrong size  (Read 399 times)
BenRayfield (OP)

Activity: 316
Merit: 250

View Profile
April 28, 2013, 12:38:20 AM

A business becomes a corporation by joining a stock market where its shares can be bought and sold by anyone at free market prices, whatever people think the shares are worth at the time.

Owning shares in a corporation gives you votes for its top level board of directors and in many cases dividend payments which are a fraction chosen by the board of directors of the profits given to share holders. This affects the trading price, so usually you just want to buy and sell the shares and let others do those things.

Its a simple and effective strategy. Those who make good predictions and risk their money on it earn more money, and bad predictions lose money. Its close to gambling but not exactly, because its a positive sum game. It has an overall positive effect on the world, more than just learning math from the gambling on combinations of numbers moving. It strengthens the economy and flows money to those who are predicted by free markets to most effectively use it.

But stock markets only work on large complex structures called corporations.

The world could very much use the same strategy of prediction and risk on smaller things like how ideas fit together.

Think about how fast Wikipedia can be edited by anyone, and despite some spamming or making bad edits, more people use page history to return to the last good page content or part of it. There is prediction in how people usually only edit a page when they think others will not revert from history, but theres no risk and reward of money or any store of value other than the page content itself. Imagine a shared Internet space containing a variety of tools to represent thoughts and processes and organize things, which anyone could invest in using Internet money like Bitcoin or simpler faster kinds of numbers or other math to count and flow value. What effect would that small granularity investing have on the flow of ideas globally?

Instead of a corporation being the smallest unit of investable process, we should have stock markets for parts of the Internet, bits, words, ideas, processes, and every kind of content and interaction, especially parts of games and simulations as that's how we've found people interact with eachother most strongly. Games can be scientific and useful, like FoldIt. Ideas spread on social networking, but would they spread faster with evolving free markets of investment-like systems backing their small parts?

But there are some puzzles we must solve first.

Stock markets are backed by the accurate reporting of profits by businesses, which drives government teeth into them and bottlenecks many processes. Any kind of regulation in small granularity investing in ideas and parts of the Internet will bottleneck it with the same strength, but since its by definition smaller pieces, that bottlenecking will drive it into the ground harder. Only open source can work here. We have to find a way to measure value, in a way investors can trust, of the "bits, words, ideas, processes, and every kind of content and interaction" invested in.

The other big puzzle is how we build a "shared Internet space containing a variety of tools to represent thoughts and processes and organize things", so there will be small parts to invest in, from which larger parts of the Internet can be built.

To avoid bottlenecks, we must be careful to avoid the biggest bottleneck of all, which is Patents. Bitcoin is open source (no patents) and still became a billion dollar economy, so it can be done.

What we need is simple, a small granularity set of tools in a shared Internet space in which predictions are made about combinations of them, how ideas will fit together globally, and good predictions are rewarded proportional to how much value is risked. Its the next logical step from corporations being the smallest unit of investable process.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
TalkImg was created especially for hosting images on bitcointalk.org: try it next time you want to post an image
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
FreddyFender

Activity: 215
Merit: 100

Shamantastic!

View Profile
April 28, 2013, 01:38:04 AM

Hey Ben!
Nice to see you back again. Too long away in my opinion.

I believe you are working on something again? Let us know when you got some basics worked out.
Thank you for your MerkleWeb concept, still trying to "get' the basic math for a recursive functionality that can act as proper VM for all constructs.

So reverse the direction of stock market? Novel and very inline with what I'm working on. My concept uses the client environment to fulfill the trust state between individuals. Using all parameters to judge fitness. Fitness never has to make a call to 3rd-party entities and requires that no one harms themselves or others to remain valid - identity-wise.

PS That trippy puzzle/wave thing made me see in 11D!

BenRayfield (OP)

Activity: 316
Merit: 250

View Profile
April 28, 2013, 02:30:19 AM

MerkleWeb never got far enough to build, but I still am planning general computing ability using the basics of math. MerkleWeb was going to be about NAND, and since then I've also found Sums To One constraint on scalars ranging 0 to 1 is Turing Complete as it can simulate NAND, but how to satisfy many Sums To One constraints together is a harder puzzle. I've been exploring a variety of small granularity kinds of computing.

Physicsmata was just some Proof Of Concepts of some parts of math, which you can see in its different versions, and some more in BayesianCortex and Audivolv. I've got lots of parts I'm trying to fit together into one peer to peer Internet space to experiment with new forms of communication, tools we can use to build more tools. I'm trying to do so many advanced things at once I often get lost in abstraction, but I'm trying to pull it all together into a practical system.

My concept uses the client environment to fulfill the trust state between individuals. Using all parameters to judge fitness. Fitness never has to make a call to 3rd-party entities and requires that no one harms themselves or others to remain valid - identity-wise.

It sounds like a peer to peer organization of data flow, which is good. What does the system do?

FreddyFender

Activity: 215
Merit: 100

Shamantastic!

View Profile
April 28, 2013, 02:53:54 AM

I read your postings on Kurzweil last year and saw that code theory is not matching current hardware limitations. With HPC and parallel chips soon dominating, we can begin experiments like Sums to One.

It sounds like a peer to peer organization of data flow, which is good. What does the system do?
I waited for some solidification of Bitcoin protocol with version 8+ (hopefully no forks in the future).
Diaspora* ties to the ruby-coded human logic. Aka. "What's for supper?"

Bitmessage acts as a xBitEngine client that uses lite client verification
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=128230.0

BlockChain exists on OT server as a reference and has OT server in the background to perform chaumian blinding on all TXs.

Another piece is something MikeHeath and Hal Finney pointed me to; TPMs acting as a simple TRUST PAL:
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=154290.0

All tied nicely in a bow. Thereby, squaring Zooko's Triangle. Trust on both ends of the system.

PS. I just checked Kurzweil... sleep much? Shocked

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: