Bitcoin Forum
June 19, 2024, 06:43:36 PM *
News: Voting for pizza day contest

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Why does the mainstream media ignore altcoins?  (Read 2201 times)
LTU_btc
Legendary

Activity: 3094
Merit: 1341

Slava Ukraini!

View Profile WWW
April 30, 2017, 11:09:08 PM

I can't say that mainstream media ignore altcoins. I saw some news about Litecoin, Monero, Ethereum. Still, there are not that much articles and news about bitcoin on mainstream media and we can expect lot of articles about other coins.
Main news media don't have journalists who write only about cryptocurrency, they have only business journalists.
I don't think that news about altcoins would get many visitors/viewers.
Altcoins don't have very big marketcap and many of altcoins are just scammy shitcoins.
It's just few of reasons why we don't see lot of news about altcoins on mainstream media.

Mbokani

Activity: 291
Merit: 250

View Profile
April 30, 2017, 11:18:57 PM

It is not about ignoring the alt coin market but there are coins popping up every now and then and it is really hard to follow every coins,Bitcoin is the market leader and the valuation between bitcoin and the rest of the coins makes the difference here.Since most of the alt coins are having a good rally hope we will see a stable price in them and with the increase in market cap we will hear about it in the news in future.
tiggytomb
Legendary

Activity: 1848
Merit: 1000

View Profile
April 30, 2017, 11:58:44 PM

The only altcoins I have seen in the mainstream on more than one occasion are LTC, ETH and XRP.

It doesn't surprise me really as it has taken this long for bitcoin to get half decent press, I think we will hear more about other coins in the next year because a market like this cannot be ignored for too long.
fortunecrypto
Legendary

Activity: 2450
Merit: 1047

thecryptocurrency.directory

View Profile WWW
May 01, 2017, 01:12:04 AM

They are not now but they will soon With the growing market capitalization of altcoins mainstream media cannot ignore it,they are not listing it yet and they just focus on bitcoin because they see some altcoins are just clone of bitcoin and find some altcoins innovation to hard for them to understand..

Yuhee

Activity: 546

View Profile
May 01, 2017, 01:18:12 AM

For me i think they cant see any angle to report other than the fact that it is continously growing. It's like stalking a personality with the same clothing. But i think some media are also researching how it works or who is the man behind all the scene of bitcoin. Sometimes it's too good to report that there is no thrill to report to it.
Nashamoto

Activity: 79
Merit: 10

View Profile
May 01, 2017, 03:11:43 AM

Crypto journalism is biased and corrupt, 'real' journalists don't know enough about crypto, so they can't write meaningful stories. Big opportunity for those who make the effort to educate themselves.
tehMoonwalker

Activity: 392

View Profile WWW
May 01, 2017, 07:32:31 AM

alternative money systems alias cryptos are in direct conflict witth the elite and their central banks, the elite controls the media, so they would be idiots if they would report on their enemy

everytime you see bitcoin in mainstream media, the words unsafe, money laundring, drugs etc come at some point, theyre scared af and i love it  Grin
arbitrage

Activity: 560
Merit: 500

View Profile
May 01, 2017, 08:00:30 AM

alternative money systems alias cryptos are in direct conflict witth the elite and their central banks, the elite controls the media, so they would be idiots if they would report on their enemy

everytime you see bitcoin in mainstream media, the words unsafe, money laundring, drugs etc come at some point, theyre scared af and i love it  Grin
Sometimes i think appearing in mainstream media isn't what we actually want. Global medias are in control by rich elite, and they can decide this new wave is dangerous for us and they will protect us.They can fabricate what they wont. I think that Bitcoin is on probation, and all others can only wait.
tokeweed
Legendary

Activity: 3990
Merit: 1426

Life, Love and Laughter...

View Profile
May 01, 2017, 08:21:27 AM

Why does the mainstream media ignore altcoins?

They're not ignoring them.  It's just not profitable for them to to give altcoins all the free promotion.  And why would they?  They're all pretty much gonna die anyway.  Ok, no all but most of them.

BBC's Click featured Ethereum once tho.  They even described Buterin as some sort of genius which I found funny.  But good for him.

R

▀▀▀▀▀▀▀██████▄▄
████████████████
▀▀▀▀█████▀▀▀█████
████████▌███▐████
▄▄▄▄█████▄▄▄█████
████████████████
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄██████▀▀
LLBIT|
4,000+ GAMES
███████████████████
██████████▀▄▀▀▀████
████████▀▄▀██░░░███
██████▀▄███▄▀█▄▄▄██
███▀▀▀▀▀▀█▀▀▀▀▀▀███
██░░░░░░░░█░░░░░░██
██▄░░░░░░░█░░░░░▄██
███▄░░░░▄█▄▄▄▄▄████
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
█████████
▀████████
░░▀██████
░░░░▀████
░░░░░░███
▄░░░░░███
▀█▄▄▄████
░░▀▀█████
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
█████████
░░░▀▀████
██▄▄▀░███
█░░█▄░░██
░████▀▀██
█░░█▀░░██
██▀▀▄░███
░░░▄▄████
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
|
██░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░██
▀█▄░▄▄░░░░░░░░░░░░▄▄░▄█▀
▄▄███░░░░░░░░░░░░░░███▄▄
▀░▀▄▀▄░░░░░▄▄░░░░░▄▀▄▀░▀
▄▄▄▄▄▀▀▄▄▀▀▄▄▄▄▄
█░▄▄▄██████▄▄▄░█
█░▀▀████████▀▀░█
█░█▀▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄██░█
█░█▀████████░█
█░█░██████░█
▀▄▀▄███▀▄▀
▄▀▄
▀▄▄▄▄▀▄▀▄
██▀░░░░░░░░▀██
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
░▀▄░▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄░▄▀
███▀▄▀█████████████████▀▄▀
█████▀▄░▄▄▄▄▄███░▄▄▄▄▄▄▀
███████▀▄▀██████░█▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
█████████▀▄▄░███▄▄▄▄▄▄░▄▀
███████████░███████▀▄▀
███████████░██▀▄▄▄▄▀
███████████░▀▄▀
████████████▄▀
███████████
▄▄███████▄▄
▄████▀▀▀▀▀▀▀████▄
▄███▀▄▄███████▄▄▀███▄
▄██▀▄█▀▀▀█████▀▀▀█▄▀██▄
▄██▄██████▀████░███▄██▄
███░████████▀██░████░███
███░████░█▄████▀░████░███
███░████░███▄████████░███
▀██▄▀███░█████▄█████▀▄██▀
▀██▄▀█▄▄▄██████▄██▀▄██▀
▀███▄▀▀███████▀▀▄███▀
▀████▄▄▄▄▄▄▄████▀
▀▀███████▀▀
OFFICIAL PARTNERSHIP
FAZE CLAN
SSC NAPOLI
|
Piston Honda
Legendary

Activity: 2702
Merit: 1064

Juicin' crypto

View Profile
May 01, 2017, 01:08:43 PM

because they are stupid and controlled and shill 'news' to the sheeple.

$ADK ~ watch & learn...
tehMoonwalker

Activity: 392

View Profile WWW
May 01, 2017, 01:15:45 PM

Sometimes i think appearing in mainstream media isn't what we actually want. Global medias are in control by rich elite, and they can decide this new wave is dangerous for us and they will protect us.They can fabricate what they wont. I think that Bitcoin is on probation, and all others can only wait.

100% agree ignoring us was the biggest mistake the elite ever did!
BTCwriter
Legendary

Activity: 1008
Merit: 1000

View Profile
May 01, 2017, 01:16:51 PM
Last edit: May 01, 2017, 02:28:12 PM by BTCwriter

If the altcoin industry is now a multi-billion dollar industry then why doesn't the media treat it like one?

2016 and 2017 marked an enormous change in the cryptocurrency industry with alternative cryptocurrencies in particular gaining multi-million dollar or even billion-dollar market caps. The altcoin industry became a major industry in its own right and has gained the attention of banks, tech giants like Microsoft, and venture capital firms.

And yet, why is it that we never hear about altcoins in the mainstream media? By mainstream, I am referring to news websites like BBC.com, newspapers like the New York Times and the Washington Post, and TV news stations like CNN, Fox News, and NBC.

I can understand why the media did not report on say Darkcoin back when it had a $10 million market cap or NEM and Monero when they had a $2 million market cap because back then, altcoins were amateurish projects with only a small community of crypto geeks interested in them (I should know, I was one of them Cheesy).

Some altcoins do have mentions but they tend to be one-sentence examples. Only a very small few (e.g. Litecoin, Ethereum) have multiple articles dedicated to them.

Searching Fox News for the terms "Lisk", "Ardor", "Stratis", or "Monero" reveals nothing. Even "DASH" yields no results.

When PIVX gained a $100 million market cap, no news outlets mentioned it (Searching the term "PIVX" on BBC, Fox News, or NBC shows zero results). There is also no mention of PIVX in Reuters, Bloomberg, or the Wall Street Journal even though these are precisely the kind of places where you'd expect to find such information. Huh

The reason is no one using altcoins, you never see big company would accepting Lisk or Monero or Eth, you can only see store and company are accepting Bitcoin.
Current price jump for altcoins is base on hype and whales pump, the usage for any altcoins is pretty much limited. I bet most people don't even know how to say or spell Ethereum and I don't think the mainstream will ever accepting it. I think this going to take awhile for the mainstream to accepting any altcoins, included the medias.
ven_bug_trap

Activity: 50
Merit: 0

View Profile
May 01, 2017, 01:30:20 PM

Hmm... Those who own powerful media companies are probably heavily vested in fiat currencies and shares in large corporations. I wonder if they see alternative cryptocurrencies and decentralized autonomous organizations (DAOs) as a threat to their holdings.

To the best of my knowledge, most respectable media establishments allow their journalists to have a certain degree of autonomy and for the most part keep the owners out of the editing side of things, so as to avoid a conflict of interest. Obviously, this has varying degrees of success, as demonstrated by Al Jazeera English's relative autonomy and Al Jazeera Arabic's relative subservience to the Qatari state. Just my view though.
BitScrip

Activity: 25
Merit: 0

View Profile
May 01, 2017, 05:04:50 PM

The media has been covering alts. Every time they cover an ICO they are talking about it. Compared to the past (which was zero) almost any coverage is a big improvement.

Nascor

Activity: 197
Merit: 100

View Profile
May 06, 2017, 10:11:05 PM

a billion in business is not a lot nowadays

the industry is still too small for any mainstream media attention

even if you include Bitcoin, the current market cap of all crypto's is 45 billion

to put that in comparison, the current market cap of e.g. Ford (the automaker) is about the same, 44 billion, and that's only one company

total market cap of all S&P 500 companies (the five hundred largest companies in the U.S.) is 20 trillion

altcoins at the moment are peanuts

scambust
Legendary

Activity: 1652
Merit: 1007

View Profile
May 06, 2017, 10:13:36 PM

They don't ignore altcoins. It's just that it isn't that newsworthy.

Taki

Activity: 1078
Merit: 514

View Profile
May 06, 2017, 10:26:13 PM

In the most beginning bitcoin also didn't attract any attention from the mass media. I even remember on news there were something like bitcoin is just new financial pyramid.
But let's look on that point why bitcoin is attracting more and more attention today. I am sure that everything because of it's raising price. Everything is roll around money today. So while altcoins make their break ups, their price is still not so high, that's why mass media don't talk about it.
lionheart78
Legendary

Activity: 2898
Merit: 1152

View Profile WWW
May 06, 2017, 10:43:47 PM

I do not think mainstream media ignore altcoins.  There are lots of news lying around about altcoins specially ethereum, monero dash and other cryptocurrency that are listed in top of coinmarket cap.  Aside from that, the reason why other altcoins are not getting the front page is that, they mostly offer the same tech, project and other stuff the other bigger altcoins offer.  Meaning there is no news.

▄▄███████████████████▄▄
▄█████████▀█████████████▄
███████████▄▐▀▄██████████
███████▀▀███████▀▀███████
██████▀███▄▄████████████
█████████▐█████████▐█████
█████████▐█████████▐█████
██████████▀███▀███▄██████
████████████████▄▄███████
███████████▄▄▄███████████
█████████████████████████
▀█████▄▄████████████████▀
▀▀███████████████████▀▀
Peach
BTC bitcoin
Buy and Sell
Bitcoin P2P
▄▄███████▄▄
▄████████
██████▄
▄██
█████████████████▄
▄███████
██████████████▄
███████████████████████
████████████████████████
▀███████████████████████▀
▀█████████████████████▀
▀██████████████████▀
▀███████████████▀
▀▀███████▀▀

▀▀▀▀███▀▀▀▀
EUROPE | AFRICA
LATIN AMERICA
▄▀▀▀

▀▄▄▄

███████▄█
███████▀
██▄▄▄▄▄░▄▄▄▄▄
████████████▀
▐███████████▌
▐███████████▌
████████████▄
██████████████
███▀███▀▀███▀
Download on the
App Store
▀▀▀▄

▄▄▄▀
▄▀▀▀

▀▄▄▄

▄██▄
██████▄
█████████▄
████████████▄
███████████████
████████████▀
█████████▀
██████▀
▀██▀
GET IT ON
Google Play
▀▀▀▄

▄▄▄▀
NoiseBoy

Activity: 266

Sound. Fury. Signifying.

View Profile
May 07, 2017, 01:53:30 AM

Marketing.

Bitcoin is sexy. It's Silk Road and Darknet and Randomware and Chinese Mining Conglomerates.

Ethereum sounds like a Greek morality tale. Bad marketing. But don't worry, Ethereum will get there eventually.

I mean, hell, "Walmart" sounds like a place that sells faux wood paneling, but look where it is today.
criptix
Legendary

Activity: 2464
Merit: 1145

View Profile
May 07, 2017, 12:03:36 PM

Alts are pinksheets on steroid....

█████
                    ██████
                   ██████
                  ██████
                 ██████
                ██████
               ██████
              ██████
             ██████
            ██████
           ██████
          ██████
         ██████
        ██████    ██████████████████▄
       ██████     ███████████████████
      ██████                   █████
  ██████
 ███████████████████████████████████
██████████████████████████████████████
 ████████████████████████████████████

█████
                     ██████
                    ██████
                   ██████
                  ██████
                 ████████████████████
                 ▀██████████████████▀
.LATTICE - A New Paradigm of Decentralized Finance.

▄▄████
              ▄▄████████▌
         ▄▄█████████▀███
    ▄▄██████████▀▀ ▄███▌
▄████████████▀▀  ▄█████
▀▀▀███████▀   ▄███████▌
      ██    ▄█████████
       █  ▄██████████▌
       █  ███████████
       █ ██▀ ▀██████▌
       ██▀     ▀████
                 ▀█▌