Bitcoin Forum
May 04, 2024, 05:58:44 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: What will happen when people stop mining?  (Read 4100 times)
fsvo (OP)

Activity: 21
Merit: 0

View Profile
June 18, 2011, 12:48:54 PM
Last edit: August 29, 2018, 06:03:54 AM by fsvo

asdf

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
I HATE TABLES I HATE TABLES I HA(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻ TABLES I HATE TABLES I HATE TABLES
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Rob P.

Activity: 84
Merit: 10

View Profile WWW
June 18, 2011, 01:20:43 PM

If people stop mining, Bitcoin will die.

Miners confirm transactions by adding them to the Block Chain.  If no one is doing that, there is no Bitcoin.

Miners won't stop mining because they get to earn all of the transaction fees on the transactions in the blocks they add to the Block Chain.

--

If you like what I've written here, consider tipping the messenger:
1GZu4CtHa6ai8iWoWiVFxV5VVoNte4SkoG

If you don't like what I've written, send me a Tip and I'll stop talking.
you2

Activity: 11
Merit: 0

View Profile
June 18, 2011, 01:35:46 PM

First the price of each BTC will rise to the sky, because there are no new BTC created (deflation scenario)!

But like Rob P. said, without Miners, there are no transaction possible.
BitCoinsForGold

Activity: 182
Merit: 100

View Profile
June 18, 2011, 01:38:56 PM

Theres something said about transaction fee's. But i think it will be a very difficult time for bitcoins, or bitcoins will go thru the roof. Either or
grod

Activity: 154
Merit: 100

View Profile
June 18, 2011, 01:48:39 PM

There aren't enough use cases for bitcoins right now which would support either a large number or a high enough transaction fee.  At least nowhere near the payout of a 50 btc reward for confirming a block today.  We can safely ignore the influence of fees -- several pools keep the fees and only split the reward and nobody cares very much about it.

It's happened before, on a much smaller scale.  We'll see what the current effects are next difficulty increase or the one after that.  The supply of bitcoins entering the bitcoin economy isn't as important as the supply of new dollars or new tradable goods being available for bitcoins.  Short term I believe the first (dollars) may be affected as all the newcomers attracted to bitcoins when it was a way to make a few bucks on the side get bored and leave.
Rob P.

Activity: 84
Merit: 10

View Profile WWW
June 18, 2011, 02:04:56 PM

There aren't enough use cases for bitcoins right now which would support either a large number or a high enough transaction fee.  At least nowhere near the payout of a 50 btc reward for confirming a block today.  We can safely ignore the influence of fees -- several pools keep the fees and only split the reward and nobody cares very much about it.

We're a LONG way from not having bounties on Block confirmations.  Next year some time, it will get cut in half (25 BTC), but assuming BTC haven't crashed back to the sub $0.05 level, that will still be enough to keep miners interested.  As BTC grows, the number of transactions will grow, as people start using it, they'll want their transactions confirmed quickly, so they'll include transactions fees.  As the number of transactions appearing in a single block grows (the transactions per second (tps)) the fees will increase.

If it all works out and BTC is successful, the transaction fees will FAR outweigh even the current 50 BTC bounty.  However, at that stage (2030?) there will only be professional miners, because the hashrate will be so high that casuals won't be able to compete.

--

If you like what I've written here, consider tipping the messenger:
1GZu4CtHa6ai8iWoWiVFxV5VVoNte4SkoG

If you don't like what I've written, send me a Tip and I'll stop talking.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: