Bitcoin Forum
June 22, 2024, 01:39:54 PM *
News: Voting for pizza day contest

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 3 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Mining Without Electricity Cost !!! What Do You Suggest?  (Read 1612 times)
navidos (OP)

Activity: 101
Merit: 10

Life Goes On !

View Profile
April 28, 2013, 02:18:43 AM

Hello Guys,

It's strange but as I said, there is no any electricity cost.

I've started with 2x Radeon 7970 XFX (950Mhz) and getting 700MH/s for each GPU on Windows 8 and cgMiner.

I heard about ASICs these days with huge amount of power and low electricity consumption. But I don't care
about electricity at all.

What do you think for me? Should I continue invest on GPUs? Which GPU do you prefer and which OS?
More GPU on same motherboard or separate them on different motherboard?

What would you do if you hadn't any electricity consumption?

Thanks
mvrak

Activity: 20
Merit: 0

View Profile
April 28, 2013, 03:20:34 AM

Yes, you should continue to invest in GPUs
btcidea

Activity: 27

View Profile
April 28, 2013, 03:26:21 AM

Why wouldn't you include the price of electricity?
odolvlobo
Legendary

Activity: 4354
Merit: 3273

View Profile
April 28, 2013, 03:29:29 AM

You should do the math. Determine if the cost of the GPUs will be less than the BTC you will mine. Keep in mind that the GPUs won't last forever and the difficulty will be rising quickly very soon and continue rising quickly for a long time.

Join an anti-signature campaign: Click ignore on the members of signature campaigns.
PGP Fingerprint: 6B6BC26599EC24EF7E29A405EAF050539D0B2925 Signing address: 13GAVJo8YaAuenj6keiEykwxWUZ7jMoSLt
minerobit

Activity: 6

View Profile
April 28, 2013, 03:48:43 AM

gpus soon won't be profitable
thaile4ever

Activity: 42

View Profile
April 28, 2013, 04:25:39 AM

More GPU on a single motherboard without question.  Why waste money buying another Motherboard, CPU, Memory, Power Supply, Hard Drive for each additional GPU?

Not to mention all those additional parts generate additional heat that you have to get rid of.
BitshireHashaway

Activity: 182
Merit: 100

View Profile WWW
April 28, 2013, 04:36:22 AM

I personally would get GPU's until those creating the ASIC people manage to deliver their product reliably on time. I think it is just not worth the risk at this time. However, you also don't want to have to get a separate "computer" for each GPU, so you will need a motherboard that can hold multiple GPU's. Best of luck! I'd say start with GPU's if you can use them profitably, because theoretically once you buy them, if you have no electricity cost, you have until they break to get your money back, which I think is still possible. When ASIC get in there and become reliable, then get them.
that_bitcoin_kid

Activity: 17

View Profile
April 28, 2013, 04:46:33 AM

I wonder who is footing the bill for your little venture. Family, perhaps? I'm not judging, I'd use other's electricity too!

As for what you should do since you do not have an electricity concern, I would say to check out the mining section and in particular the threads about high output rigs. Personally, I would invest in a couple motherboards that can support multiple GPU's and string them together in a low-heat environment. It would take some start up funds, but if you don't have any expenses past the initial then I see no reason to go full force.

I was just reading this thread if you want to check it out: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=186877.0
navidos (OP)

Life Goes On !

View Profile
April 28, 2013, 06:24:31 PM

Thank you all.

Actually it's not family money at all !

Regarding the less motherboard, which one do you prefer to handle more GPUs?

Is it possible to have a motherboard with 4 GPUs but in original shape and without taking out the fans !?

Because as I see 4x 7970 won't fit on the same motherboard in the original size i believe!
Maybe on Supermicro motherboard we can do that.

Also if I put them on PCIe 2.0 instead of 3.0, the result will be decrease or what?

Thanks again.
Random Bit

Activity: 70

So many coins so little hash power

View Profile
April 28, 2013, 06:46:46 PM

Currently running 7950's on PCI-E x1 at 2.0 connections without issue on litecoin, one ever reports 1.1 with TechPowerUp.  Doubt you will see any difference.

If his electric source is parents than sure they will say something when the power bill goes up $50 plus more for cooling.  In a dorm or barracks probably will never be noticed, what's another 7 to 8 more 100 watt bulbs running 24/7 in the grand scheme of things..    Grin
navidos (OP)

Life Goes On !

View Profile
April 28, 2013, 11:10:56 PM

As I said it's not parent's electricity , It's something legal in someone office .

I got 2x  7970 XFX with 925Mhz core .

I tried to flash the following BIOS (http://www.overclock.net/t/1281425/amd-release-hd-7970-ghz-bios-upgrade-for-reference-hd-7970)
to upgrade to GHz edition :

http://www.techpowerup.com/vgabios/122148/ATI.HD7970.3072.120607.html

Everything went well and Catalyst showed it's increased to 1500Mh aand 2000 for Memory Clock.

But as soon as I run the CGMINER the Windows got stuck and rebooted. I have Windows 8 professional !

I couldn't install the .EXE file (that every one says that works fine) because of compatibility I think .

Which rom should I use to upgrade the BIOS?

And why I can't run the exe file on Windows 8?

Please help me Sad
notaek
Legendary

Activity: 1268
Merit: 1009

View Profile WWW
April 28, 2013, 11:34:27 PM

1500mhz on the core???  That is way too high.  It may work fine when you are on your desktop, but when you put any load on the card (when you open chminer) the display driver crashes.  You can use the GHz edition BIOS, but roll the clock speed down a little.  You should be able to get higher speeds than the 925MHz the card came at, but you wont be able to get 1500MHz out of it.

rabbitweasel

Activity: 30

View Profile
April 28, 2013, 11:44:17 PM

Heed what others have said about bitcoins becoming less profitable on GPUs over time. Be sure to figure for the long run how much you will be able to mine.

For example I'm using a mining model that says each future month I will make roughly 33% less bitcoins than the previous month. So if I can make X amount of bitcoins this month, then I expect to have minted X*(1-0.67^n)/(1-.67) coins over n months. Then I figure where the rate of generating bitcoins equals the cost of electricity to get a *rough* idea of how long my mining hardware will go. Though since you're not paying for electricity you can just use the equation to figure out how many coins you can make in n months or figure out how many months it will take to make Y coins.
notaek
Legendary

Activity: 1268
Merit: 1009

View Profile WWW
April 28, 2013, 11:55:10 PM

This may help you as well: http://dustcoin.com/mining

navidos (OP)

Life Goes On !

View Profile
April 28, 2013, 11:59:19 PM

1500mhz on the core???  That is way too high.  It may work fine when you are on your desktop, but when you put any load on the card (when you open chminer) the display driver crashes.  You can use the GHz edition BIOS, but roll the clock speed down a little.  You should be able to get higher speeds than the 925MHz the card came at, but you wont be able to get 1500MHz out of it.

Everyone getting this !

But maybe it got problem with CGMINER or any BitCoin mining !

As soon as I started mining , it crashed .

On CGMINER bat file when I choose 1200MHz also it crash but I can go for 1150Mhz which is 25MHz more than
highest original MHz. Is there any way to overclock it in a custom way to get more MHz?

As I said people are getting 1500Mhz on 7970 HD version with changing the GHz edition bios.

But the only bios that worked was the url I mentioned . You are telling GHz edition bios works on my cards? It didn't when
I used them. Why?

GodHatesFigs

Activity: 557
Merit: 101

View Profile
April 29, 2013, 12:03:12 AM

If power isn't an issue, it doesn't really matter what you buy; and as the difficulty increases, you can move your cards over to other coins, like LTC.
navidos (OP)

Life Goes On !

View Profile
April 29, 2013, 02:59:10 AM

If power isn't an issue, it doesn't really matter what you buy; and as the difficulty increases, you can move your cards over to other coins, like LTC.

Would you please be more specific?

Is it worth to go for LTC instead of BTC?

If you mean beside of this how it would be ?

underachiever

Activity: 23

View Profile
April 29, 2013, 03:09:12 AM

You can mine without electricity cost several ways, none of them are honest.

You could rent an apartment that has electric included in the rent.

You could install your mining rig at work, if that is possible for you anyway.

You could install your mining rig someplace other than where you live, such as your parents basement.

I'm sure there's more ways, you just have to be creative.
navidos (OP)

Life Goes On !

View Profile
April 29, 2013, 06:42:35 PM

You can mine without electricity cost several ways, none of them are honest.

You could rent an apartment that has electric included in the rent.

You could install your mining rig at work, if that is possible for you anyway.

You could install your mining rig someplace other than where you live, such as your parents basement.

I'm sure there's more ways, you just have to be creative.

Actually I have free electricity available at the moment.

With ASICs upcoming devices, I'm a little scared to run huge graphic RIGs .

But i dono when there is no any electricity cost , that would be same if I invest same amount of ASICs in GPUs or not ?!

What will be the future of BitCoin with ASICs?
mybitcoinid

Activity: 8

View Profile
April 29, 2013, 06:47:37 PM

I don't think you will even get the money for your GPSUs back with the network reaching 10TH in may.
Pages: [1] 2 3 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: