Bitcoin Forum
May 24, 2024, 05:03:37 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Why does every new tech require an ICO? Is it just the funding?  (Read 1251 times)
audaciousbeing

Activity: 1330
Merit: 569

View Profile
May 06, 2017, 10:48:11 PM

It seems that there is about 1 new ICO (mainly ERC20's on Ethereum) every week. How is it possible that each of these tech's needs its own coin and blockchain? Why don't they just develop on Ethereum?

Is it solely to get the venture capital?

Its actually a way to get money but the way people have turned it into, they have bastardized the avenue that anyone who needs a quick buck can just exploit all he has to do is to have a nice package, graphics, functioning sites, escrows and some amount of money to run a large campaign and  boom the ICO is a success and they continue to have their way but its not their fault but those of us who buy into such leaving genuine projects out of the picture because such does not possses the financial wherewithal to promote such things to our awareness.
CoinHoarder
Legendary

Activity: 1484
Merit: 1026

In Cryptocoins I Trust

View Profile
May 07, 2017, 12:07:10 AM

If a coin is great, the dev should invest in it himself or gather the funds/backers outside of the coin's supply imo.

But then people end up categorizing him a scammer anyways because of premine/dev funds. It is a bit of a lose/lose situation.

However, I understand that most people can't work full-time for years on an idea which might at some point give them a decent return.

This is the main reason that I don't mind ICOs and premines. People need to be compensated for their time and effort. Otherwise, it would be a better idea to simply get a job. ICOs push blockchain technology forward at a more advanced rate by allowing developers to focus on development. We have seen some really neat things come from ICOs... Ethereum, Bitshares, Nxt, Waves, etc... all of which are innovative in their own ways.

Other models, such as Zcashs developer shares are just as disliked by the community, but at least those give the developers incentive to keep the market value of their product high.
You also touched on another important thing is that there is no "best" way to fund development. Someone will always complain. Even with PoW distributed coins... if the coin becomes big enough, people will eventually complain about centralized ASIC mining due to economies of scale. It is a lose/lose proposition. At the end of the day, no matter how a coin was released or distributed, it matters more that they deliver on their vision.
NoiseBoy

Activity: 266
Merit: 250

Sound. Fury. Signifying.

View Profile
May 07, 2017, 01:51:01 AM

In the words of Dire Straits, it's because, "Money for nothin' & yer chicks fo free."
kubricktrader

Activity: 384
Merit: 103

View Profile
May 07, 2017, 04:34:09 AM

ICO's ruined crypto for me. XBY which isn't an ICO but has just as much new tech but aren't doing a money grab like IOTA type ICO it is reminding me what I loved about it all a few years ago. I fucking hate ICO's all the money goes to some assholes just out of University who move into a new office and get drunk and high on coke in local bars high fiving each other about how fucking smart they are and how dumb people are for giving them a million dollars for just cloning a shitcoin. I just can't bear looking at their smug faces on their websites and telling everyone they need $100,000 dollars a week just for costs....fuck them!!!

FUCK ICO's and FUCK THE WANKERS WHO DO THEM

The best way is the developers have a small premine for themselves maybe 1-3%. Then at least as Nassim Taleb says they actually have skin in the game and I don't degrade developers from getting rich IF they actually deliver to investors. I mean once an ICO has got a ton of money what motivation have they got to actually deliver anything? I'm getting angry now I got to stop typing...
aguila

Activity: 104
Merit: 10

View Profile WWW
May 07, 2017, 05:37:17 AM

I have been in 2 unsuccessful startups (not crypto related) one as a cofounder and the other as an employee.

Back then people asked us "why are you raising money from friends and family?"

Reasons of why startups are exploiting the ICO funding:

1) No Commitment: If you go broke you don't have to pay back to frnds and fam, as oppose to a loan.
(My philosophy: I only asked and accepted money from family and friends that were in a +good financial position, and after 2-3 years I gave back all the money that was left.)

2) It's Trending: Cryptocoins are hot right now, everyone want to invest in the "next" Bitcoin, and get that sweet 25% bonus as early investor.
What I have learn after being scammed*: if you have good: marketing, website, bitcointalk ANN, and a well redacted "smart" whitepaper you can raise money really fast.
(*I was scammed in Ascendacy's ICO, my first ICO investment, but thankfully got the majority of the money back thanks to someone from this forum.
NEVER INVEST IN AN ICO THAT: YOU DON'T SEE THE TEAM MEMBERS NAMES, FACES, AND THEIR LINKEDIN. And of course do at least a little on research on them
)

3) FUNDING: People raise way more money than needed, it is faster and easier than pitching the idea to friends, family, investors, bank, going startup competitions, doing networking

4) You are your own boss: You don't have to give stocks and equity to investors (pieces of your company), you keep control of your company, and have the same share before and after the funding.

I have an announcement I am starting and ICO hahah if I only knew how to code... my programmer friends know anything about btc, not even buying some in coinbase

Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  

Jump to: