Bitcoin Forum
May 04, 2024, 01:51:47 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: The case for moving from a 160 bit to a 256 bit Bitcoin address  (Read 6878 times)
This is a self-moderated topic. If you do not want to be moderated by the person who started this topic, create a new topic.
dinofelis

Activity: 770
Merit: 629

View Profile
May 02, 2017, 03:31:54 AM

there's a lot of other "wasting room" on the transaction, and the most important one to me is the hash of 256 bits indicating the transaction.  This is overkill.   There is also the 32-bit number indicating the "output number of the transaction" as if transactions would contain 4 billion outputs.   This is wasted space.
You are free to store transactions however you like and negoiate with your peers to send them however you like, there is no need for space to be wasted as a product of serialization.  Using a larger hash does take up more resources but the difference is pretty small compared to the rest of the transaction.

Well, the room for a full "transaction cycle" consists the room taken for the output on the transaction that has the UTXO, and the corresponding room for the input in the transaction that spends it.  When you look at it, this mainly consists of:

- output amount 8 bytes
- output script, about 25 bytes, of which 20 bytes are the output address (output)

- transaction hash (32 bytes) of the previous output transaction  (input)
- output number of this transaction (4 bytes) (input)
- scriptsig, containing the signature (~64 bytes) AND the pubkey (also, old version ~64 bytes, compact version ~32 bytes)
- 4 bytes "sequence number"

Total usage: about 169 bytes (in compact format)
Of these, 32 bytes (the pub key) are redundant, because one can restore the pub key from the signature and the message.

But:
If an address was only used once, then the transaction hash, and the output number are also redundant (one can find them), and we would save still 36 bytes more.   As such, in the most compact form, if addresses were used only once, we would save 68 bytes out of 169. 

However, the initial argument was that reducing the address from potentially 256 bits to 160 bits "to save space" cannot be correct, because of the wasteful usage of 256 bits of the transaction hash, and 32 bits of the output indication.  If bits were considered expensive, this is where one wasted many of them.
There's no fundamental reason to have more indications of transactions than of addresses for instance, and 32 bits for the output are also overkill.  8 bits would be sufficient I'd think.  Transactions with more than 256 outputs are not very common.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
tomtomtom7

Activity: 38
Merit: 18

View Profile
May 02, 2017, 01:28:31 PM

So here is the interesting attack:  You give me your pubkey, and then I create my pubkey for a 2-of-2 (or some other more elaborate contract), and then we pay to the resulting address.

Oops.  In the background I did ~2^80 work and found a colliding address which didn't have the same policy, and I use it to steal the funds.

2^80 is a lot of work, but it isn't enough to be considered secure by current standards.

Forgive me, but I still don't quite get that. Where does the transaction with a different policy come from? If you only find two colliding addresses yourself, how can you use it for a contract that steals someone else's fund?

Could someone elaborate on this attack?

Besides, doesn't that require you to create 2^80 "proper" addresses. Thus 2^80 times keypair creation plus double hashing?

BurtW (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 2646
Merit: 1131

All paid signature campaigns should be banned.

View Profile WWW
May 02, 2017, 02:31:59 PM

So here is the interesting attack:  You give me your pubkey, and then I create my pubkey for a 2-of-2 (or some other more elaborate contract), and then we pay to the resulting address.

Oops.  In the background I did ~2^80 work and found a colliding address which didn't have the same policy, and I use it to steal the funds.

2^80 is a lot of work, but it isn't enough to be considered secure by current standards.

Forgive me, but I still don't quite get that. Where does the transaction with a different policy come from? If you only find two colliding addresses yourself, how can you use it for a contract that steals someone else's fund?

Could someone elaborate on this attack?

Besides, doesn't that require you to create 2^80 "proper" addresses. Thus 2^80 times keypair creation plus double hashing?

Did you see the final paragraph in this post?

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=1895455.msg18832108#msg18832108

Our family was terrorized by Homeland Security.  Read all about it here:  http://www.jmwagner.com/ and http://www.burtw.com/  Any donations to help us recover from the $300,000 in legal fees and forced donations to the Federal Asset Forfeiture slush fund are greatly appreciated!
tomtomtom7

Activity: 38
Merit: 18

View Profile
May 02, 2017, 03:26:12 PM

I did, but didn't get it, but maybe I do now on rereading: We're talking about a collision of two P2SH addresses. That makes sense.
dinofelis

View Profile
May 02, 2017, 06:03:09 PM

I did, but didn't get it, but maybe I do now on rereading: We're talking about a collision of two P2SH addresses. That makes sense.

Yes, it took me some time to understand that too.  The "lever arms" are a couple of private keys drawn from a set, that gives rise to a couple of public keys, to be combined with conditions (one is the counterparty's public key, the other is an own public key arbitrarily chosen of which one has the private key), giving rise to two P2SH hashes.  One only needs to test on average a set of 2^80 private keys to find such a couple that has identical such P2SH hashes.
Note that it is somewhat more involved than just testing 2^80 private keys ; one needs to store somehow these results to find out what couple has a collision after the fact.  
jonald_fyookball
Legendary

Activity: 1302
Merit: 1004

Core dev leaves me neg feedback #abuse #political

View Profile
May 02, 2017, 06:16:59 PM

Yes, it took me some time to understand that too.  The "lever arms" are a couple of private keys drawn from a set, that gives rise to a couple of public keys, to be combined with conditions (one is the counterparty's public key, the other is an own public key arbitrarily chosen of which one has the private key), giving rise to two P2SH hashes.  One only needs to test on average a set of 2^80 private keys to find such a couple that has identical such P2SH hashes.
Note that it is somewhat more involved than just testing 2^80 private keys ; one needs to store somehow these results to find out what couple has a collision after the fact.  

So once you do that, how does the attack work? How do you get the other party to use the compromised keys in the multisig?

DannyHamilton
Legendary

Activity: 3388
Merit: 4616

View Profile
May 02, 2017, 06:24:23 PM

I think I'm missing a piece here on how this attack only requires (on average) 280 attempts.

I can see that I can just generate a 1-of-1 P2SH script with a nonce, and then try MANY nonce values until I get an address that collides with the 2-of-2 contract address.  In that case, I think I can reduce my operations to hashing only, and not need to mess around with multiple private keys and generating public keys.

Once I find an address that collides, I no longer need the victim to sign anything.  I can sign with my private key and can broadcast my nonce based script in the input.  The 2-of-2 contract is no longer important.

What I don't fully understand is how I can expect to see a collision after only 280 attempts.  Wouldn't I need 2159 attempts just to have a 50% chance of success?

It seems likely that some other attack is being suggested by gmaxwell, but if it is then I've failed to understand how that attack would work.
BurtW (OP)
Legendary

View Profile WWW
May 02, 2017, 06:34:09 PM

Danny,  did you read the OP describing the collision rate calculation?  I was about to pen the algorithm that would be needed.  Will do so soon.

Our family was terrorized by Homeland Security.  Read all about it here:  http://www.jmwagner.com/ and http://www.burtw.com/  Any donations to help us recover from the $300,000 in legal fees and forced donations to the Federal Asset Forfeiture slush fund are greatly appreciated!
DannyHamilton
Legendary

View Profile
May 02, 2017, 06:48:04 PM

Danny,  did you read the OP describing the collision rate calculation?

I did, but that won't work for gmaxwell's theoretical attack will it?

The "birthday problem" calculates the odds of ANY TWO addresses in a set matching EACH OTHER.

Unless I'm misunderstanding gmaxwell's post, he's talking about ONE address in a set (the work) matching a specific given address (the contract).

If I roll a 20-sided die until ANY number shows up more than once, we are looking at the "birthday problem".
(Odds improve with every roll until eventually odds are effectively 100%)

If I roll a 20-sided die once, and then roll it again until that initial number re-appears, then we are looking at gmaxwell's post.
(Odds remain at 5% on every roll, with an average of one success out of 20 rolls)

Am I missing something here?

In the "birthday problem" presented in the OP, a collision may occur after 283 attempts, but the odds of that collision being with an address that actually has bitcoins in it (or ever will) is extremely unlikely (since at any given time there won't be more than 251 addresses associated with a UTXO, and in reality significantly less).

In gmaxwell's post, I don't see how finding a collision that doesn't collide with the contract address helps?
jonald_fyookball
Legendary

Activity: 1302
Merit: 1004

Core dev leaves me neg feedback #abuse #political

View Profile
May 02, 2017, 06:51:31 PM

Danny I was essentially asking the same thing: how do you get the address that you've already found a collision for, into the multisig agreement.

BurtW (OP)
Legendary

View Profile WWW
May 02, 2017, 09:42:05 PM
Last edit: May 02, 2017, 09:55:34 PM by BurtW

Basic pseudo code implementation of algorithm to find hash collisions:

32 byte variable pri1;
32 byte variable pri2;
32 byte variable pubx;
32 byte variable puby;
20 byte variable hash;
boolean variable collided;

do {

GenerateRandomPrivKey( &pri1 );
   CalculatePubKeyFromPriv( pri1, &pubx, &puby );
   CalculateHashOfPubKey( pubx, puby, &hash );

collided = CheckForHitAndInsertIntoHashTable( hash, pri1 );

} while ( !collided );

pri2 = GetFromHashTable( hash );

output pri1 " and " pri2 " both hash to " hash

Everything here is easy except the storage of the previous results into the hash table.  Ideally for speed the hash table would contain space for 2160 private keys.

That is 2165 bytes!  Not possible.  The largest unit of data we even have today is the yottabyte (280 bytes) and it would take 285 of those to store that much data.

So, even though the loop would need to be run "only" about 283 (280 if you are lucky) times you would still need to store and search through all the previous results in order to detect the first collision due to the birthday problem/paradox described in the OP.

gmaxwell
Legendary
expert

Activity: 4158
Merit: 8382

View Profile WWW
May 03, 2017, 12:40:04 AM

The "birthday problem" calculates the odds of ANY TWO addresses in a set matching EACH OTHER.
Unless I'm misunderstanding gmaxwell's post, he's talking about ONE address in a set (the work) matching a specific given address (the contract).

I'm sorry if I was unclear.   You are not provided with an address. You are provided with a public key.   Now you construct many possible addresses looking for a pair where one is a plausible contract and the other lets you spend all the coins.

You show your counterparty one, then spend with the other.
DannyHamilton
Legendary

View Profile
May 03, 2017, 01:58:38 AM
Last edit: May 03, 2017, 02:36:02 AM by DannyHamilton

I'm sorry if I was unclear.   You are not provided with an address. You are provided with a public key.   Now you construct many possible addresses looking for a pair where one is a plausible contract and the other lets you spend all the coins.

You show your counterparty one, then spend with the other.

gmaxwell,

I have a lot of respect for your knowledge in this area, so I'm pretty sure I'm the one who still isn't understanding.

Edit: Perhaps I am beginning to understand?  By the time I finished writing this post I realized that the 2-set method might not be as difficult as I thought.  My initial assumption (in my earlier post) was 1 address in one set, and multiple addresses in the other set until there was a collision with the single-address set. As I wrote this post it dawned on me that it might be more efficient to generate equal numbers of addresses in each set until one set collided with the other.

Using the public key that I'm provided with, I can generate MANY plausible contracts until two of them collide with each other.  However, this isn't useful, since I won't be able to use either to spend the coins.

I could also generate MANY addresses that let me spend all the coins until two of them collide with each other.  However, this isn't useful, since I won't be able to show my counterparty either of them.

After some thought, I suppose I'd need to generate 2 sets.  I can generate MANY addresses in one set that let me spend all the coins , and then generate MANY plausible contracts in the other set.  I'd have to continue this until an address in set 1 collides with an address in set 2.

I'm not 100% certain on the maths, but (depending on how much more effort the contract generation requires) while that seems to require less effort than my initial example (where the "plausible contracts" set only has 1 address), it would seem to require more effort than the "birthday problem".  My intuition is that on average it requires twice as many P2SH addresses to be generated as the "birthday problem" would (since each new address in one set is effectively a new potential match in the other set)?  If that's right, then I suppose that means it's just one extra "bit" of security over the birthday problem?
dinofelis

View Profile
May 03, 2017, 07:50:42 AM

So once you do that, how does the attack work? How do you get the other party to use the compromised keys in the multisig?

The whole point is: you don't need a multisig to get paid out !  I didn't immediately realize this either, but the whole principle of bitcoin is that in order to have the "spending right" of an UTXO, you have to solve a puzzle of which the "question" hashes to the output address of that UTXO.  In a simple transaction, that puzzle is "make a signature that corresponds to the public key that is this hash".  In a 2-2 contract, however, that puzzle is whatever hashes to the given hash ; one such puzzle is the intended multisig: "make a signature that corresponds to the first public key, and make another signature that corresponds to the second public key".
But if you can find *another* puzzle description that hashes to the same hash, the solution to that other puzzle ALSO satisfies the spending requirement of that UTXO.  That other puzzle has nothing to do with the first guy's public key. 
You see, the explicit requirement is not present in the block chain: only its hash is.  So whatever requirement that hashes to the same hash, can be considered as the "true requirement".

Compare it to the following situation: you buy a house, and instead of registering the whole act of sales, you only register its HASH with the notary.   The notary knows that this house goes with that hash, that's all.  So anyone that can write another act of sale, that hashes to the same hash, can act as the owner of the house, the notary will agree, and will let him sell the house while you don't even know it.

Now, the nasty thing with a double signature, is that the guy providing HIS signature has a lever on the true document, and is hence able to find a collision with a document entirely of his making.  This is what reduces the 160 bit second-pre-image security to 80 bit collision security.

DannyHamilton
Legendary

View Profile
May 03, 2017, 08:01:10 AM

- snip -
Now, the nasty thing with a double signature, is that the guy providing HIS signature has a lever on the true document, and is hence able to find a collision with a document entirely of his making.  This is what reduces the 160 bit second-pre-image security to 80 bit collision security.

Am I right in assuming that this reduction in security is because the attacker can generate 279 reasonable looking 2-of-2 contracts (and their associated P2SH addresses), and then generate 279 single-signature P2SH addresses, and in doing so would have an extremely high probability of finding an address in the set of 2-of-2 contracts that collides with one of the single-signature P2SH addresses?

279 contracts + 279 single-signature P2SH addresses = 280 generations.

Or more specifically, that the attacker can:
  • 1. Generate one 2-of-2 contract and one single-signature P2SH addresses and see if they collide...
  • 2. Then generate an additional 2-of-2 contract and see if it collides with ANY of the single-signature P2SH addresses generated so far
  • 3. Then generate an additional single-signature P2SH addresse and see if it collides with ANY of the 2-of-2 contracts generated so far
  • 4. Repeat steps 2 and 3 until a collision is found

And that in doing so they will succeed, on average, after repeating steps two and three 280 times (although they could get lucky and collide sooner, or get unlucky and collide much later).

Is that the risk here?
gmaxwell
Legendary
expert

Activity: 4158
Merit: 8382

View Profile WWW
May 03, 2017, 08:24:34 AM

My intuition is that on average it requires twice as many P2SH addresses to be generated as the "birthday problem" would (since each new address in one set is effectively a new potential match in the other set)?
You've got it.

You should generally think of birthday problem numbers as approximate in any case,  because to achieve the bound you need lots of storage.  A cost optimized solver will make some time/memory tradeoff and usually end up using a couple times more computation than the birthday number in exchange for little to no storage.  (google floyds cycle finding algorithim)

And yes, thats the risk-- that your counterparties degree of freedom in choosing part of the contract will let them find an alternative contract with only collision like work, rather than with second-preimage like work.

You can mitigate by having multiple rounds of communication with commitments, but few to no one will implement this in practice:  Each communication round is a huge software engineering and UI cost, and most people don't understand this collision vulnerability (or _any_ collision vulnerability) even after having it explained.  The longer hash should also be somewhat more secure against second preimages assuming our hash functions become weakened by attacks in the future.

[Basically _any_ time I've seen a collision come up in discussions about the protocols people-- even people who should know better-- get them wrong. Someone on Reddit just the other day argued that a 64-bit collision would take 2^64 work, so I generated one based on his message.. then he argued that I got really lucky to have managed to produce one using only a 32-bit nonce and couldn't provide another, so I did... Tongue  they're highly unintuitive to people)
dinofelis

View Profile
May 03, 2017, 08:25:44 AM

- snip -
Now, the nasty thing with a double signature, is that the guy providing HIS signature has a lever on the true document, and is hence able to find a collision with a document entirely of his making.  This is what reduces the 160 bit second-pre-image security to 80 bit collision security.

Am I right in assuming that this reduction in security is because the attacker can generate 279 reasonable looking 2-of-2 contracts (and their associated P2SH addresses), and then generate 279 single-signature P2SH addresses, and in doing so would have an extremely high probability of finding an address in the set of 2-of-2 contracts that collides with one of the single-signature P2SH addresses?

279 contracts + 279 single-signature P2SH addresses = 280 generations.

Or more specifically, that the attacker can:
  • 1. Generate one 2-of-2 contract and one single-signature P2SH addresses and see if they collide...
  • 2. Then generate an additional 2-of-2 contract and see if it collides with ANY of the single-signature P2SH addresses generated so far
  • 3. Then generate an additional single-signature P2SH addresse and see if it collides with ANY of the 2-of-2 contracts generated so far
  • 4. Repeat steps 2 and 3 until a collision is found

And that in doing so they will succeed, on average, after repeating steps two and three 280 times (although they could get lucky and collide sooner, or get unlucky and collide much later).

Is that the risk here?

Yes. Up to a few factors of 2, we're talking orders of magnitude here, not an exact amount of trials.
DannyHamilton
Legendary

View Profile
May 03, 2017, 09:20:26 AM

- snip -
And yes, thats the risk-- that your counterparties degree of freedom in choosing part of the contract will let them find an alternative contract with only collision like work, rather than with second-preimage like work.

You can mitigate by having multiple rounds of communication with commitments, but few to no one will implement this in practice:  Each communication round is a huge software engineering and UI cost, and most people don't understand this collision vulnerability (or _any_ collision vulnerability) even after having it explained.
- snip -

So, the solution to this (for me) is to insist that I'm the one that generates the contract address.  This removes the counterparty's ability to engage in this attack.

If the counterparty is aware of the risk and doesn't have reason to trust me, then their only recourse is to offer the "multiple rounds of communication with commitments".

Since in practice "no one will implement this" AND "most people don't understand this collision vulnerability", the odds are that I can almost always get away with being the one to generate the contract address every time (unless I'm engaged in a transaction with gmaxwell, since he understands enough to know better).  Someone may eventually fall victim to this, but I now understand enough to keep myself safe (from this particular attack).
dinofelis

View Profile
May 03, 2017, 09:31:32 AM

- snip -

You can mitigate by having multiple rounds of communication with commitments, but few to no one will implement this in practice:  Each communication round is a huge software engineering and UI cost, and most people don't understand this collision vulnerability (or _any_ collision vulnerability) even after having it explained.
- snip -

So, the solution to this (for me) is to insist that I'm the one that generates the contract address.  This removes the counterparty's ability to engage in this attack.

If the counterparty is aware of the risk and doesn't have reason to trust me, then their only recourse is to offer the "multiple rounds of communication with commitments".

Since in practice "no one will implement this" AND "most people don't understand this collision vulnerability", the odds are that I can almost always get away with being the one to generate the contract address every time (unless I'm engaged in a transaction with gmaxwell, since he understands enough to know better).  Someone may eventually fall victim to this, but I now understand enough to keep myself safe (from this particular attack).

... and invest in it to attack others Smiley
BurtW (OP)
Legendary

View Profile WWW
May 03, 2017, 09:46:50 AM

Greg, you said:

this thread has a lot of hot air,  segwit p2wsh uses 256-bit hashes, and there is a 256bit address format proposed.

Is the thread over now?

So, assuming this proposal was adopted then you could choose to use a 256 bit hash on a contract and therefore increase the security to 128 bits.  It seems to me that this would be wise for a high dollar contract and would make it incredibly difficult to carry out the attach that has been brought up in this conversation.  Correct?

Also, It looks like the new 256 bit hash format is part of the current segwit proposal, correct?

Pages: « 1 [2] 3 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: