Bitcoin Forum
April 25, 2024, 01:10:30 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Warning: One or more bitcointalk.org users have reported that they strongly believe that the creator of this topic is a scammer. (Login to see the detailed trust ratings.) While the bitcointalk.org administration does not verify such claims, you should proceed with extreme caution.
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Bitminter vs. Eligius?  (Read 10553 times)
pizza (OP)

Activity: 112
Merit: 10

View Profile
April 28, 2013, 07:35:33 AM

Anybody have experience with these two pools? Where would you earn more? Are the transaction fees worth it? Do you get luckier on Eligius?

Thanks

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
The Bitcoin software, network, and concept is called "Bitcoin" with a capitalized "B". Bitcoin currency units are called "bitcoins" with a lowercase "b" -- this is often abbreviated BTC.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Isokivi

Activity: 910
Merit: 1000

Items flashing here available at btctrinkets.com

View Profile WWW
April 28, 2013, 07:58:07 AM

I have mined on both, ended up settling on bitminter. Not that I have anything bad to say about Eligius.

Bitcoin trinkets now on my online store: btc trinkets.com <- Bitcoin Tiepins, cufflinks, lapel pins, keychains, card holders and challenge coins.
meowmeowbrowncow

Activity: 322
Merit: 250

View Profile
April 28, 2013, 10:09:39 AM

Personal preference, I believe.

I balance across pools, including Bitminter.  It's reasonable in terms of fees.

"Bitcoin has been an amazing ride, but the most fascinating part to me is the seemingly universal tendency of libertarians to immediately become authoritarians the very moment they are given any measure of power to silence the dissent of others."  - The Bible
pizza (OP)

Activity: 112

View Profile
April 28, 2013, 07:56:42 PM

I have mined on both, ended up settling on bitminter. Not that I have anything bad to say about Eligius.

Did you settle on bitminter because you make more coin? Also, do you have the donation perk enabled? Does the perk effect your income any? Will having the orphaned block protection make a big difference in your pay than not having it enabled.
grue
Legendary

Activity: 2058
Merit: 1431

View Profile
April 28, 2013, 11:33:02 PM

Anybody have experience with these two pools? Where would you earn more? Are the transaction fees worth it? Do you get luckier on Eligius?

Thanks
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Probability

It is pitch black. You are likely to be eaten by a grue.

Adblock for annoying signature ads | Enhanced Merit UI
Gator-hex

Activity: 490
Merit: 500

View Profile
April 29, 2013, 12:23:14 AM
Last edit: May 01, 2013, 02:46:05 AM by Gator-hex

Re: Bitminter vs. Eligius?

Bitminter,

my experience of Eligius was that I got lured in, as a newbie, by the promise of 0% fees, only to get paid half what I was owed and it was paid months late (although they claim Luke_Jr was having problems programming a payment system, it looked more like a payment scam to me) They claim to have a new payment system now, but once bitten twice shy, and all that...

https://en.bitcoin.it/wiki/Comparison_of_mining_pools

gmaxwell
Legendary

Activity: 4158
Merit: 8382

View Profile WWW
April 29, 2013, 12:29:33 AM

my experience of Eligius was that I got lured by the promise of 0% fees, only to get paid half what I was owed and it was paid months late
Link to your stats?
Gator-hex

Activity: 490
Merit: 500

View Profile
April 29, 2013, 12:31:28 AM
Last edit: April 29, 2013, 12:49:03 AM by Gator-hex

my experience of Eligius was that I got lured by the promise of 0% fees, only to get paid half what I was owed and it was paid months late
Link to your stats?

My stats are probably long gone, but if you're looking for proof just read the Eligius pool thread on this forum, it's in there somewhere, loads of us were moaning about not being paid.

Oh and I almost forget, even though they said they weren't merge mining, they were in fact merge mining namecoins and keeping them all for themselves!

Newar
Legendary

Activity: 1358

https://gliph.me/hUF

View Profile
April 29, 2013, 04:06:12 PM

Thanks
BitMinter still supports full NMC merged mining on stratum. Eligius has dropped it entirely.

Re: orphaned blocks: Depends how many blocks are orphaned ;-)

I have settled on BitMinter for now too.

OTC rating | GPG keyid 1DC91318EE785FDE | Gliph: lightning bicycle tree music | Mycelium, a swift & secure Bitcoin client for Android | LocalBitcoins
Bonam

Activity: 420

View Profile
April 29, 2013, 04:16:31 PM

BitMinter has been working great for me.
crazyates
Legendary

Activity: 952

View Profile
April 29, 2013, 04:33:24 PM

Why not both? CGMiner can mine on 2 pools at the same time with the --balance flag. I'm splitting my hashrate between a few different pools, atm.

Tips? 1crazy8pMqgwJ7tX7ZPZmyPwFbc6xZKM9
Previous Trade History - Sale Thread
GuiltySpark343

Activity: 98

View Profile
April 30, 2013, 11:13:47 AM

I'm relatively new to mining. First started at deepbit, then Eligius. Was happy with Eligius for a while, but lately have been having connecting (getting work reliably from their server). Not sure why, maybe because I'm across the Atlantic?

Was forced to switch to another pool because of my connection problems. Settled on Bitminter. Only mined there for a day, but it seems their system is set up for delayed gratification. I read the whole "shifts" thing but I got more confused by it. In any case, mined there at 2 GH/s for about 20 hours, any only made 0.009 BTC and 0.028 NMC.

This was much less than I expected ... again, maybe there is more I'm "owed" but need to wait for shifts to complete. Not sure, but psychologically it sucks! LOL. Oh well, gonna try Eligius again and see if my connection is more reliable now.

I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve.
Ƀ:17wbDetEw2aESM5oWXbm5ih9NSdDruyWNT
crazyates
Legendary

Activity: 952

View Profile
April 30, 2013, 08:13:47 PM

I'm relatively new to mining. First started at deepbit, then Eligius. Was happy with Eligius for a while, but lately have been having connecting (getting work reliably from their server). Not sure why, maybe because I'm across the Atlantic?

Was forced to switch to another pool because of my connection problems. Settled on Bitminter. Only mined there for a day, but it seems their system is set up for delayed gratification. I read the whole "shifts" thing but I got more confused by it. In any case, mined there at 2 GH/s for about 20 hours, any only made 0.009 BTC and 0.028 NMC.

This was much less than I expected ... again, maybe there is more I'm "owed" but need to wait for shifts to complete. Not sure, but psychologically it sucks! LOL. Oh well, gonna try Eligius again and see if my connection is more reliable now.
Ozcoin has American, European, and Australian nodes that you can connect to. Check them out!

Tips? 1crazy8pMqgwJ7tX7ZPZmyPwFbc6xZKM9
Previous Trade History - Sale Thread
davidkassa

Activity: 37
Merit: 0

View Profile
May 01, 2013, 01:16:19 AM

I started mining about a month ago. I started with Eligius because there was no account creation needed, then evaluated BitMinter for merged mining and finally settled on p2pool.

Eligius is easy, transparent, and only keeps transaction fees. (~1% by my gorilla math) I use them as my failover pool. I was about to try BitMinter but they announced that they were increasing their mandatory fees (to ~1%, but they share transaction fees) so I found p2pool. I now have > 100% pool efficiency so I get a bit of a boost there and have the option of merge mining. Since this is becoming a bit of a hobby, p2pool lets me tinker, have more control, and contributes to decentralizing the network.
GuiltySpark343

Activity: 98

View Profile
May 04, 2013, 01:14:29 PM

Used Eligius for a while, loved it. Then they migrated the server and I started having problems with my miners getting work reliably. Hash rate fell. Slow response by pool operators, intially they denied any problems. Now pool is being migrated to different server again.

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=23768.msg2019613#msg2019613

Switched to Bitminter during this. They are either having a really long run of bad luck, or something is wrong. Expected rewards have been consistently below average expected rewards the past few days in a row:

https://bitminter.com/stats/rewards

Now I'm not sure where to go! BTCGuild is dangerously near 51% (not that my hashrate matters, I'm just a drop in the bucket). Deepbit has high fees. Argh!

I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve.
Ƀ:17wbDetEw2aESM5oWXbm5ih9NSdDruyWNT
Subo1977

Activity: 344

Flixxo - Watch, Share, Earn!

View Profile
May 04, 2013, 03:40:47 PM

Used Eligius for a while, loved it. Then they migrated the server and I started having problems with my miners getting work reliably. Hash rate fell. Slow response by pool operators, intially they denied any problems. Now pool is being migrated to different server again.

Switched to Bitminter during this. They are either having a really long run of bad luck, or something is wrong. Expected rewards have been consistently below average expected rewards the past few days in a row:

Now I'm not sure where to go! BTCGuild is dangerously near 51% (not that my hashrate matters, I'm just a drop in the bucket). Deepbit has high fees. Argh!

Try p2pool

X       ▄▄█████████▄▄
    ▄██▀▀         ▀▀██▄
  ▄██▀              ▀██▄
 ▄██     ██▄▄          ██▄
▄██      █████▄▄        ██▄
██       ████████▄▄      ██
██       ███████████▄    ██
██       ██████████▀     ██
▀██      ███████▀       ██▀
 ▀██     ████▀         ██▀
  ▀██▄   █▀          ▄██▀
    ▀██▄▄         ▄▄██▀
       ▀▀█████████▀▀
.flixxo    X▄████████████████████▄
██████████████████████
██████████████████████
████████████▀▀███████
█████▀████░░░░░░▄████
█████░░░░░░░░░░▄█████
█████▄░░░░░░░░░░██████
██████░░░░░░░░░███████
███████░░░░░░▄████████
████▄▄░░░░▄▄██████████
██████████████████████
██████████████████████
▀████████████████████▀
▄████████████████████▄
██████████████████████
█████████▀█▀██████████
██████▀▀▀▀▀████████
██████▄▄░░▄▄▄░░███████
████████░░███░░███████
████████░░░░░░▀███████
████████░░███▄░░██████
██████▀▀░░▀▀▀░░░██████
██████▄▄▄▄▄▄███████
█████████▄█▄██████████
██████████████████████
▀████████████████████▀
X[[]]X
Newar
Legendary

Activity: 1358

https://gliph.me/hUF

View Profile
May 04, 2013, 05:46:04 PM

[...]
I think "a few days" is too short to judge a pool, esp. if things like "luck" are involved.

Don't believe that blockchain.info graph, look at blockorigin instead.

Lists of pools: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=104664.0 and https://en.bitcoin.it/wiki/Comparison_of_mining_pools

After Bitminter and slush, Bitparking would get my vote. They don't pay tx fee rewards, but offer 3 merged mined altcoins.

OTC rating | GPG keyid 1DC91318EE785FDE | Gliph: lightning bicycle tree music | Mycelium, a swift & secure Bitcoin client for Android | LocalBitcoins
phrozenspite

Activity: 266

View Profile WWW
May 05, 2013, 06:57:12 AM

Eligius works out well for me, i eventually get paid 100% pay per share. Ive been doing a lot of alt coin mining recently(purely for profitability) so my unpaid shares tend to get caught up in the time that I'm not on eligius. 

doublec
Legendary

Activity: 1078
Merit: 1005

View Profile
May 05, 2013, 10:49:48 AM

After Bitminter and slush, Bitparking would get my vote. They don't pay tx fee rewards, but offer 3 merged mined altcoins.
Bitparking also pays for orphans. This is what the transaction fees go towards - keeping an orphan buffer. If the network has averaged 1% orphans in the last 12 months then the 1.5% fee at bitparking is really only 0.5%. Add to that the income from the alt coins and the fee is negative. Disclaimer: I'm a tad biased...
Tia

Activity: 27
Merit: 0

View Profile
May 05, 2013, 04:11:27 PM

Totally agree with you, and we experienced the same thing with Eligius (great until server or whatever problems) switched to BitMinter and paltry payouts, even after factoring in the 10 shift thing...

Probably going to try p2pool next... And happy to see Eligius servers running better for me... Now if only they can swiftly fix the stats! Comeon Whiz!
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: