Bitcoin Forum
June 29, 2024, 01:18:12 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Different programming languages for smart contracts  (Read 418 times)
TraderK (OP)

Activity: 11
Merit: 0

View Profile
May 02, 2017, 04:57:25 AM

I have no experience in programming but something that interests me is the various projects aiming to replicate the success of Ethereum, but using different programming languages for their smart contracts.

• Ethereum uses Solidity.
  • Lisk uses Javascript
  • Stratis uses C#
  • Wavesplatform will use some non-Turing complete language not yet specified (?)

From this list, could someone explain why one language is better than others for smart contracts? Or perhaps what benefits using each language would give?

Anything to explain to a newbie like me would be much appeciated
chauey

Activity: 6

View Profile
August 20, 2017, 06:56:23 PM

Solidity is a new language they create like javascript but helps prevent some nuances of the language.

Javascript is much much much more widely known and used for web, and now even desktop and server like electron and nodejs.

C# is from Microsoft's .NET framework but can run on different platforms other than windows now. I would say they have strength in the enterprise space.

I used to do a lot of C#, and a bit of javascript before and a lot recently. I am too lazy to go learn Solidity, and will not if I don't have to. With Lisk, I don't have to to work on blockchain tech so I don't think many others will spend the time either. And I am by far not the laziest programmer, as I love programming even in my spare time.

The main advantage here is Lisk's Javascript because it will automatically allow a lot more developers to hit the ground running instead of being bothered by yet another language to learn.

I think they will be rebranding and launching an SDK soon so I assume they will be much more well-known and talked about soon with marketing.
opeculiar

Activity: 10

View Profile
October 21, 2017, 03:13:53 AM

Tezos uses Michelson language. Functional, aims to provide more simple, secure and auditable code.

Ethereum's Viper has similar goals (still experimental).

Some more information on other platforms (NEO, QTUM): https://hackernoon.com/the-new-age-of-dapps-is-here-and-its-not-based-on-ethereum-2246fc4d9eee
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: