Bitcoin Forum
May 08, 2024, 12:32:39 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Absolutely love Bitcoin!  (Read 2228 times)
Samantha2011 (OP)

Activity: 14
Merit: 0

View Profile
June 18, 2011, 03:14:05 PM

I've been reading all about how Bitcoin works and I think it's an absolutely awesome idea. I'm an IT student and I'm doing an assignment on public key encryption so I'm using Bitcoin as an example.

Hopefully we're all trading with BTC in 2020!
It is a common myth that Bitcoin is ruled by a majority of miners. This is not true. Bitcoin miners "vote" on the ordering of transactions, but that's all they do. They can't vote to change the network rules.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
skerit

Activity: 20

View Profile WWW
June 18, 2011, 03:18:08 PM

The more people to get to know, and to love, bitcoin, the better the chances are that that's gonna happen Wink
Samantha2011 (OP)

View Profile
June 18, 2011, 03:28:48 PM

Is there any way to measure the unique user adoption rate?
Bitman_Begins

Activity: 84
Merit: 10

View Profile WWW
June 18, 2011, 03:36:32 PM

Hopefully Bitcoins will be worth millions by 2020 Samantha!  Cool   Shocked

Want to join Tradehill.com? Please use this referral code as you join: TH-R18919

Join the Bitcoin Randomizer using this link and start winning Bitcoins! http://rand.bitcat.ch/?ref=128

Tip me! 1NBN21CDpuc6Gyns2oqRjDSvxaanMeYfbY
GeniuSxBoY

Activity: 616
Merit: 500

View Profile
June 18, 2011, 03:53:31 PM

I am a computer scientist and seen too many hardware failures in my lifetime to trust bitcoins. I don't like the fact that you can never ever get your bitcoins back if you lose your wallet or lose track of the most uptodate file.

You can't memorize them, they're too long. Copying them by pen takes too long.

Also, you already know I'm the laziest person on Earth. I do not like making copies of wallets, encrypting/decrypting, updating your backs ups, worrying about losing the file every single time I want use a bitcoin!

I am not confident in the security of a wallet.dat that roommates/family members/visitors can locate and steal your money just by looking for that file name by using your computer while you're in the shower. They should let you change the name of the file so that people and malware don't know what to search for. Do not include common words in the wallet.dat file and finding that file by search will be as hard as thinking of a valid bitcoin off the top of your head.

I don't like sending bitcoins to an anonymous address without a name attached. If you send it to a wrong address, you can't reverse it.

I LOVE the idea of being able to send anonymously, and I think it's an absolute to keep anonymous, BUT you should be able to create an account that is not shady and completely traceable so that if I purchase something, I can prove that the person I sent bitcoins to got them. Otherwise, they can say they never received them!

Lastly, I don't like fees. Fuck fees.

That's about it.

Be humble!
Samantha2011 (OP)

View Profile
June 18, 2011, 04:04:07 PM

I'm worried about the wallet file too. It should be encrypted with a password you have to enter to access it.

In the future it would be nice to have the wallet file stored in a smart card that you can keep in your purse.
Samantha2011 (OP)

View Profile
June 18, 2011, 04:07:42 PM

I don't like sending bitcoins to an anonymous address without a name attached. If you send it to a wrong address, you can't reverse it.

Doesn't Bitcoin bounce back the transaction if you make a typo in the address?

The likelihood of a mistyped address being valid is tiny.
TKE406

Activity: 49

View Profile
June 18, 2011, 04:09:03 PM

I'm worried about the wallet file too. It should be encrypted with a password you have to enter to access it.

In the future it would be nice to have the wallet file stored in a smart card that you can keep in your purse.

I believe the developers are working on a way to encrypt the wallet file...
GeniuSxBoY

View Profile
June 18, 2011, 04:17:41 PM

Not if you ctrl+c , ctrl+v, without the ctrl+c registering. It's too long to type by hand, so ctrl+c/ctrl+v is your main source for inputting addresses.

One address is easy to check with your eyeball.
10 addresses is a little more complicated.
and if THEY send you an incorrect address from an address that was stored from THEIR previous transaction, even though it's THEIR fault, YOU lose your bitcoins.

Be humble!
GeniuSxBoY

View Profile
June 18, 2011, 04:20:34 PM

I believe the hackers are working on a way to decrypt the wallet file using trojans/malware...

RULE: if YOU can access it, then THEY can access it.

Be humble!
Samantha2011 (OP)

View Profile
June 18, 2011, 04:24:29 PM

Not if you ctrl+c , ctrl+v, without the ctrl+c registering. It's too long to type by hand, so ctrl+c/ctrl+v is your main source for inputting addresses.

One address is easy to check with your eyeball.
10 addresses is a little more complicated.
and if THEY send you an incorrect address from an address that was stored from THEIR previous transaction, even though it's THEIR fault, YOU lose your bitcoins.

Good point. Maybe the devs could add some confirmation checking to the transaction process. Like a confirmation screen that shows your past history with the address you're sending to so you can verify it before completing the transaction.
you2

Activity: 11

View Profile
June 18, 2011, 05:28:48 PM

Bitcoin will have a great future, when it becomes available on smartphones. Mobile payment is the future I guess.
MoonShadow
Legendary

Activity: 1708
Merit: 1007

View Profile
June 19, 2011, 04:16:28 AM

I believe the hackers are working on a way to decrypt the wallet file using trojans/malware...

RULE: if YOU can access it, then THEY can access it.

Well, yes and no.  Once the wallet.dat file is encrypted as a standard operating procedure, there will be a piece of data that does not reside upon your hard drive for a trojan to find.  Namely your secred key/passcode.

"The powers of financial capitalism had another far-reaching aim, nothing less than to create a world system of financial control in private hands able to dominate the political system of each country and the economy of the world as a whole. This system was to be controlled in a feudalist fashion by the central banks of the world acting in concert, by secret agreements arrived at in frequent meetings and conferences. The apex of the systems was to be the Bank for International Settlements in Basel, Switzerland, a private bank owned and controlled by the world's central banks which were themselves private corporations. Each central bank...sought to dominate its government by its ability to control Treasury loans, to manipulate foreign exchanges, to influence the level of economic activity in the country, and to influence cooperative politicians by subsequent economic rewards in the business world."

- Carroll Quigley, CFR member, mentor to Bill Clinton, from 'Tragedy And Hope'
hi

Activity: 256
Merit: 250

View Profile
June 19, 2011, 04:22:23 AM

Hi

nice paper.

Hi
Hook^

Activity: 56

View Profile
June 19, 2011, 04:32:28 AM

I've been reading all about how Bitcoin works and I think it's an absolutely awesome idea. I'm an IT student and I'm doing an assignment on public key encryption so I'm using Bitcoin as an example.

And I love IT girls  Grin
Especially the nerdy ones with glasses.   Smiley

If only I knew Tina Fey 15 years ago....
Samantha2011 (OP)

View Profile
June 19, 2011, 04:36:34 AM

Hi

nice paper.

Hi

Hi hi,

Nice username hihihi.

I wear contacts.  Tongue
BitCoinsForGold

Activity: 182
Merit: 100

View Profile
June 19, 2011, 04:49:40 AM

use copy and paste with your mouse or keyboard shortcuts, and then look at the first number/letter and then look at the last number/letter is your doubting or want to do a "quick" doublecheck
Samantha2011 (OP)

View Profile
June 19, 2011, 04:57:29 AM

Does everyone know about these?

http://bitbills.com/

I just found them and they seem like a great way to trade at meets. I love how the community can come up with their own products and services to support Bitcoin. Even if there are a lot of Ponzi schemes popping up.  Undecided
Hook^

Activity: 56

View Profile
June 19, 2011, 05:00:42 AM

Hi

nice paper.

Hi

Hi hi,

Nice username hihihi.

I wear contacts.  Tongue
No geek cred.  Embrace your inner nerd!  Grin
Samantha2011 (OP)

View Profile
June 19, 2011, 05:11:25 AM

Hi

nice paper.

Hi

Hi hi,

Nice username hihihi.

I wear contacts.  Tongue
No geek cred.  Embrace your inner nerd!  Grin
My love of MATLAB gives me enough geek cred and makes the outer nerd obvious.  Smiley
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: