Bitcoin Forum
July 17, 2024, 01:38:30 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: GUIminer BACKUP POOL SETUP Q&A! UPDATED-RESOLVED!  (Read 1783 times)
go4gonzo (OP)

Activity: 141
Merit: 100

View Profile WWW
April 28, 2013, 04:37:33 PM
Last edit: May 01, 2013, 06:33:15 PM by go4gonzo

So I've been using GUIminer for a couple of months and have finally found the flags that work best for me.

Flags:  -v -w128 -f1

Can someone explain HOW to setup a backup pool GUIminer? Do I add it to the flags, for example:
-v -w128 -f1 -backup http://user:pass@YOURMINEPOOL.com:8332 or
-v -w128 -f1 --backup http://user:pass@YOURMINEPOOL.com:8332 (with 2 dashes)

or something completely different, like adding it to a file in the GUIminer folder? I haven't found any conclusive evidence on this...some suggested using cgminer, but I really want to use GUIminer.

PLEASE Help! Thank you.

The reason I'm asking is because BT Guild has been experiencing issues and they keep cutting out, basically I have my computer on for no reason and wasting electricity NOT mining.

FYI-- A 100% correct (provable) answer WILL BE rewarded with BTC, if I can prove that it works!
Kruncha

Activity: 644
Merit: 250

View Profile
April 28, 2013, 04:52:45 PM

Q: Can I connect to more than one pool with the same GPU? For example have a main pool, and a backup pool in case the main one goes down?

A: Yes, you can use the -f flag for this. A value of -f60 or higher in the backup pool's miner will cause it to yield most of the GPU power to miners with a lower f value (default is 30).

Hope that helps Smiley

K.
go4gonzo (OP)

View Profile WWW
April 29, 2013, 02:57:36 AM

I thought -f1 or -f60 was for  slowing down your fame rate so you can use your desktop...I don't that has to do a backup pool lol. thanks anyway...

I'll keep looking.
Kruncha

View Profile
April 29, 2013, 03:03:11 AM

If you check the Guiminer release post, In the FAQ, 9th question down...

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=3878.0

K.
go4gonzo (OP)

View Profile WWW
April 29, 2013, 09:15:43 PM

K.

So I think I figured it out. Thanks for pointing me in the right direction... I'll send some BTC in a couple of days when I confirm it works. I'll post what exactly I typed in the "extra flags" section when I get confirmation so other can learn too.  Thanks for your help.
Kruncha

View Profile
April 29, 2013, 09:20:08 PM

K.

So I think I figured it out. Thanks for pointing me in the right direction... I'll send some BTC in a couple of days when I confirm it works. I'll post what exactly I typed in the "extra flags" section when I get confirmation so other can learn too.  Thanks for your help.

Your welcome Smiley

It wasn't the reward that motivated me (you can tell if you check my previous posts), but it would be very welcome if it does work out for you.

K.
go4gonzo (OP)

View Profile WWW
May 01, 2013, 03:07:04 AM

So for those miners that need help figuring out how to use a backup miner in GUIminer, this is how (and these are my settings):

in the Extra Flags: -v -w128 -f 1 -t2 username_workername:password@mint.bitminter.com:8332
So for me, bitminter is my backup pool. the "-t2" means that after 2 attemps to contact my primary pool fails, then it will fallback to Bitminter.

So after the -t2, you add your backup pool whatever that may be.  Now, you can change the -t2 to -t3 or 4,5 however many attempts you are willing to allow before GUIminer falls back to your backup pool.  

Hope this clarifies the backup pool in GUIminer

Special thanks to Kruncha for helping my brain work!!

Sending you a little something! Thanks.
Kruncha

View Profile
May 01, 2013, 12:22:55 PM

Thanks go4gonzo, Looks like there was quite a bit more to it than what I posted, I'm sure this will come in handy for a lot of people.

K.
Kruncha

View Profile
May 01, 2013, 07:13:50 PM

Thanks go4gonzo, I'm currently invested in Slushs' Pool. But, I'll check it out and keep note. I'll PM you if I decide to change Smiley

K.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: