Bitcoin Forum
April 24, 2024, 02:39:45 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: For those who think their Mining Rig will sell as a Gaming PC  (Read 2018 times)
AngelusWebDesign (OP)

Activity: 392
Merit: 250

View Profile
June 18, 2011, 03:48:27 PM
Last edit: June 18, 2011, 03:58:47 PM by AngelusWebDesign

I've heard countless times that "If Bitcoin difficulty gets too high to cover electricity costs, I'll just have 10 good gaming rigs to sell on Craigslist -- problem solved!"

HOWEVER --

I live in one of the best-off areas on the country, economically. We're practically "missing out" on the Greater Depression (the government and mainstream media call it a "recession", or even a "recession that ended last year" -- yeah right!) And there are PLENTY of people here, too. I'm talking about San Antonio, TX.

I've been following Craigslist, oh, since about when I got into mining.

Let me say this about Gaming Machines.

1. There are LOTS of used Dells on my local CL, usually selling for $50-$100. Often this includes a 17" flatscreen monitor, keyboard, and mouse.
2. I've seen LOTS of systems for $250 or less. $250 seems to be the sweetspot, and almost always includes a monitor (LCD, *not* CRT), keyboard, mouse, and sometimes a desk!
3. Gaming machines are custom by nature. They tend to be built with high-end components (read: depreciate rapidly), and things that add "cool factor" (read: useless and without practical value).

Why would the World's Biggest Gamer ever buy a "used" gaming rig -- ever? For the same price you can go on NewEgg and pick out YOUR dream gaming rig. You can pick your own video card, case, etc.

To make a used system worthwhile, it would have to be at a GOOD PRICE. But the original owner is already losing 50% or more of what he paid. So he'll be reluctant to bring everything down to market value, then LOWER THE PRICE A BIT MORE SO IT'S A GOOD DEAL so someone will actually want to buy it.

Anyhow, my point: Gaming systems -- any system over $250, really -- tend to SIT THERE for weeks on end. And this is in an area with more cash sloshing around than most. We have a lot of military here -- and the Gov't hasn't laid anyone off yet. Certainly not the military!

Oh, and if you're thinking of selling your rigs as gaming rigs AFTER BITCOIN MINING BECOMES UNPROFITABLE, then you're going to have an additional obstacle -- you won't have people clamoring to get into Bitcoin mining. After all, you were all set up (hardware, software, cooling) and decided mining wasn't worth it -- you think someone with 0 experience is going to want to jump in? Get real.

Just more food for thought.

Matthew

P.S. All the people thinking about selling their systems -- do they have 5 or 10 Windows 7 COA's (Certificate of Authenticity) lying around? You might be able to put pirate versions of Windows on your mining rigs -- or Linux, which is free -- but do you think the average gamer wants to NOT be able to re-install the software on his PC, or use a non-Windows OS?

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
The grue lurks in the darkest places of the earth. Its favorite diet is adventurers, but its insatiable appetite is tempered by its fear of light. No grue has ever been seen by the light of day, and few have survived its fearsome jaws to tell the tale.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Chick

Activity: 70
Merit: 10

View Profile
June 18, 2011, 04:24:13 PM

Thx4advice

SmokeAndMirrors

Activity: 168
Merit: 100

View Profile
June 18, 2011, 04:41:14 PM

1. A $250 computer is a piece of shit, not a gaming computer. Someone looking to buy a gaming computer doesn't set their budget at $250.
2. In my area, I have a hard time finding high quality monitors for less than $250, and you're talking about full high-end computers.
3. Not everyone has the same views. Some people may not give two shits whether it's new or used as long as it's saving them a few bucks.

Also, I think the "average gamer" wouldn't be looking for this type of machine in the first place. If he/she was, I don't think a windows activation key would stop them. I know people (WIM) who have never bought a windows OS in their entire life. If they buy a computer with a windows OS, that's all gravy but they tend to use their "ultimate version" pirate disks to upgrade anyway. In fact, most everyone I know who's into tech does this on their windows machines.

Help Bitcoins by buying clothes, technology, books, etc. through people/stores that accept BTC. This will increase overall value of BTC as well as mitigate unnecessary bank transaction fees.

My address -
1EM9HGg1SEa5Bux1rVEPxGqGSfNTTc9EkC
dinzy

Activity: 140
Merit: 100

View Profile
June 18, 2011, 05:23:07 PM

part everything out and sell on ebay.  You will take a huge hit with fees from both ebay and paypal ( double dipping assholes) but it is the best way to go. 
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: