Bitcoin Forum
May 06, 2024, 09:57:17 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Bitcoin harddisk attack  (Read 2926 times)
farmer_boy (OP)

Activity: 56
Merit: 0

View Profile
November 23, 2010, 05:29:25 PM

Running bitcoin feels like its indexing my harddisk. I will probably stop running the client, because of that. I don't mind the CPU usuage, but its seek behaviour is ridiculous. Isn't there some way to keep more in memory data structures and only write them to disk when the program is stopped or when there is a lot of date to write?

What are the harddisk requirements anyway?

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"Your bitcoin is secured in a way that is physically impossible for others to access, no matter for what reason, no matter how good the excuse, no matter a majority of miners, no matter what." -- Greg Maxwell
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
grondilu
Legendary

Activity: 1288
Merit: 1076

View Profile
November 23, 2010, 05:35:32 PM

Running bitcoin feels like its indexing my harddisk. I will probably stop running the client, because of that. I don't mind the CPU usuage, but its seek behaviour is ridiculous. Isn't there some way to keep more in memory data structures and only write them to disk when the program is stopped or when there is a lot of date to write?

I'm not sure I understand your pb correctly but...  I guess you could make a symlink from a virtual fs to $HOME/.bitcoin, and crontab a backup of your wallet.

farmer_boy (OP)

View Profile
November 23, 2010, 05:40:23 PM

I'm not sure I understand your pb correctly but...  I guess you could make a symlink from a virtual fs to $HOME/.bitcoin, and crontab a backup of your wallet.
To do that one needs to know the requirements of the application. I was suggesting to put this logic into the application, but it appears that after running it for some time, it stopped attacking my harddisk. It's now just frying my CPUs, but that's ok.

I would like to know what it was doing to my harddisk before. I suppose it is some kind of syncing to the rest of the nodes, getting a semi-complete history of the network?
m0mchil

Activity: 171
Merit: 127

View Profile
November 23, 2010, 05:44:29 PM

Initially it downloads 'blocks' from other peers. It does this in bundles of 500, but this still involves some disk activity. This will stop when you have all blocks.

At the moment the block chain will take about 100 MB of disk space. This is the public shared history of all transactions ever happened. It will grow with time. There are plans for some optimizations like removing spent transactions from disk.

About the CPU - bitcoin is trying to solve current block, containing all recent transactions. This could take a significant amount of time. Please search and read more past forum threads - all this is explained many times.

BrightAnarchist
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 853
Merit: 1000

View Profile
November 23, 2010, 07:13:07 PM

Are you running anti-virus on a windows box? That could explain crazy harddisk behavior. If so, you should put the bitcoin executable on the list of "ignore" processes.
wumpus
qt

Activity: 812
Merit: 1022

No Maps for These Territories

View Profile
November 23, 2010, 07:59:05 PM

Just disable coin generation and your CPU will be ok.

Bitcoin Core developer [PGP] Warning: For most, coin loss is a larger risk than coin theft. A disk can die any time. Regularly back up your wallet through FileBackup Wallet to an external storage or the (encrypted!) cloud. Use a separate offline wallet for storing larger amounts.
farmer_boy (OP)

View Profile
November 23, 2010, 08:07:45 PM

The CPU usage was expected when generating hashes, but perhaps I was not clear there. The harddisk activity gives a bad impression, imho, for first time users, especially if it is a tiny fraction (100MB) of the available internal memory on the machine. So, by default, I would recommend only doing something with the harddisk if there is some real work to be performed (i.e. does not fit in RAM or user sends KILL signal to application).
wumpus
qt

Activity: 812
Merit: 1022

No Maps for These Territories

View Profile
November 23, 2010, 08:10:22 PM

Yeah. My guess is that synchronous writing to disk is used for the blocks, to make sure that a power failure won't lose data. Isn't a bad idea IMO...

Bitcoin Core developer [PGP] Warning: For most, coin loss is a larger risk than coin theft. A disk can die any time. Regularly back up your wallet through FileBackup Wallet to an external storage or the (encrypted!) cloud. Use a separate offline wallet for storing larger amounts.
MrFlibble

Activity: 25

View Profile
November 23, 2010, 11:18:39 PM

Running bitcoin feels like its indexing my harddisk. [...] I don't mind the CPU usuage, but its seek behaviour is ridiculous.

Sounds like the problem I noticed, only with spinny disk instead of Compact Flash (cheapskate SSD drive).
https://www.bitcoin.org/smf/index.php?topic=274.msg23624#msg23624 (a sticky topic)

Did performance improve once you finished fetching the block chain?
farmer_boy (OP)

View Profile
November 24, 2010, 12:17:03 AM

Running bitcoin feels like its indexing my harddisk. [...] I don't mind the CPU usuage, but its seek behaviour is ridiculous.

Sounds like the problem I noticed, only with spinny disk instead of Compact Flash (cheapskate SSD drive).
https://www.bitcoin.org/smf/index.php?topic=274.msg23624#msg23624 (a sticky topic)

Did performance improve once you finished fetching the block chain?
Yes, afterwards it was ok.

I suppose it depends on where you live, but in an area where power supply is stable, I think keeping everything in memory and writing it in one go would be best. It's not like it's the end of the world when your machine crashes. Your wallet should be on non-volatile memory of course.

I still have the problem of building the application, which is also bad for adoption; many people don't like it when they are running black boxes. Can someone look here?  http://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=1898.0
MrFlibble

View Profile
November 24, 2010, 01:22:16 AM

[...]
I suppose it depends on where you live, but in an area where power supply is stable, I think keeping everything in memory and writing it in one go would be best. [...]

Yes. I used /dev/shm and a symlink, until the blockchain download finished.

I still have the problem of building the application, which is also bad for adoption; many people don't like it when they are running black boxes. Can someone look here?  http://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=1898.0

(Sounds like wx was broken.  I haven't messed with it yet, sorry.  Does it have a helloworld you can build?)

I don't like running black boxes, but I don't have time now to read the source so I see little benefit in compiling.   (I have read "Reflections on trusting trust".)  I have a DMZ and that's good enough for now.

HTH,
farmer_boy (OP)

View Profile
November 24, 2010, 02:11:36 AM

[...]
I suppose it depends on where you live, but in an area where power supply is stable, I think keeping everything in memory and writing it in one go would be best. [...]

Yes. I used /dev/shm and a symlink, until the blockchain download finished.

(Sounds like wx was broken.  I haven't messed with it yet, sorry.  Does it have a helloworld you can build?)
Yes, I stated in my post that I could build and run the demos included with wx.
MrFlibble

View Profile
November 24, 2010, 11:51:11 PM

Yes, I stated in my post that I could build and run the demos included with wx.

Sorry.  I didn't read your post carefully enough, just the compiler output.   Embarrassed
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: