Bitcoin Forum
May 05, 2024, 10:10:48 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: [StableCoin] Looking for inflationary cryptocurrency developer (3 btc bounty)  (Read 3473 times)
markm
Legendary

Activity: 2940
Merit: 1090

View Profile WWW
April 29, 2013, 06:14:30 AM

DeVCoin also keeps generating the number of coins per block forever.

Lolcust recently informed me too that Tenebrix or GeistGeld or both also do, I think maybe it was probably Tenebrix he was talking about.

Groupcoin's thread is https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=67991.0

-MarkM-

Browser-launched Crossfire client now online (select CrossCiv server for Galactic  Milieu)
Free website hosting with PHP, MySQL etc: http://hosting.knotwork.com/

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
Red

Activity: 210
Merit: 111

View Profile
April 29, 2013, 06:41:12 AM

Linked it. Thanks markm
Sweft (OP)

Activity: 136
Merit: 100

View Profile
April 29, 2013, 08:25:00 PM

Bump.

Looking for devs.
Sweft (OP)

View Profile
April 29, 2013, 08:35:05 PM

Can someone develop this?

3 coins isn't really pocket change.  I'd be willing to use a trusted forum member as an escrow for the transaction.
Bump

It sounds like what you are proposing, in essence or in effect, is that in some far future year when the 50 coins per block that GRouPcoin constantly mints happens to work out to be 2% of the number of coins generated up until that moment (up until that block, in practice), the time will have arrived for GRouPcoin to adjust its rate of coin-minting if, by that far future time, your theories as to what would be the perfect mining curve still seem to be as valid as they seem today and the benefits are actually worthwhile enough to actually bother to change the number of coins per block.

Thus I suggest that the coin you want is already up and running, has been for years, and still has years to go before it will need a tiny tweak to make its generation rate stick at 2% (or whatever percent has been determined, by that future point in time, to actually be the exact precise perfect percent rather than just some guess made by you years in advance of the actual coming into effect of such a rate change).

So we might as well just keep chugging along using GRouPcoin and simply add to our over the coming years concerns the concern that possibly it might prove beneficial, at some future date, to cause the generation rate to stick at some percentage of the total coins minted, so that over those coming years we can make observations and track statistics and so on that will enable us to know, come that far future, what exact percentage is in fact ideal. (If it does turn out to be 2%, how many decimals of accuracy is that? 2.0%? 2.00%? 2.000%? To what number of decimals has it been determined that "zeroes all the way down" is in fact the ideal?)

Basically though, there are years yet to work out the exact best percentage, in the meantime the 50 coins per block has been chugging happily along and will continue until the exact details of the later stage are worked out / negotiated.

Please note also that your concept of "annually" can be a whole can of worms, because nodes are not synchronised in time, their synchronisation is by block number. So we also will not even know how many blocks any given year will actually consist of until we know how much up and down see-saw of hashing power will be happening during that year...

(For example the advent of ASICs is likely to make a "blocks counted year" much shorter than a "calendar year" this year for bitcoin...)

-MarkM-

I don't think people will like the idea of a changing cryptocurrency.  That's why they support bitcoin, and the devs have stated all economic protocols will not be subject  to change.  It.is better to make a currency and present your case why it is superior to bitcoin.
Sweft (OP)

View Profile
May 01, 2013, 11:48:46 PM

Bump.
Etlase2

Activity: 798
Merit: 1000

View Profile
May 02, 2013, 01:13:59 AM

I don't think people will like the idea of a changing cryptocurrency.  That's why they support bitcoin, and the devs have stated all economic protocols will not be subject  to change.  It.is better to make a currency and present your case why it is superior to bitcoin.

I think people don't like the idea of a changing cryptocurrency because bitcoin is a pyramid currency and changing it threatens the bitcoin elite. Plus hard forks are a bitch.

Sweft (OP)

View Profile
May 02, 2013, 09:11:01 PM

I think people don't like the idea of a changing cryptocurrency because bitcoin is a pyramid currency and changing it threatens the bitcoin elite. Plus hard forks are a bitch.
Are you a dev?
Etlase2

View Profile
May 02, 2013, 10:07:35 PM

Yes, but I'm not interested in making your bitclone--sorry--because I have plans of my own. If you really want a stable coin with an unbound monetary base, the link for that and a lot more is in my signature.

Sweft (OP)

View Profile
May 02, 2013, 10:46:56 PM

Yes, but I'm not interested in making your bitclone--sorry--because I have plans of my own. If you really want a stable coin with an unbound monetary base, the link for that and a lot more is in my signature.
Seems fairly complicated.  What happens if a double spend occurs right before consensus block?
Etlase2

View Profile
May 02, 2013, 10:49:35 PM

Stepping stone currencies do not advance the medium much if at all. Shouldn't cryptocurrency 2.0 be tried?

Elwar
Legendary

Activity: 3598
Merit: 2384

Viva Ut Vivas

View Profile WWW
May 02, 2013, 10:50:33 PM

Bitcoin will be inflationary for the next 100+ years.

First seastead company actually selling sea homes: Ocean Builders https://ocean.builders  Of course we accept bitcoin.
Sweft (OP)

View Profile
May 02, 2013, 10:53:37 PM

I have discussed this at length and it simply isn't true.

The problem with #1 is that bicoins can be permanently lost, and there is a hard cap on the amount of bitcoins. That means that there will eventually be more bitcoin lost than are generated by block reward. This should be known as the 'Sweft point' where bitcoin turns into a deflationary currency from an inflationary one. Thus, to believe that transactions will increase as coins are lost, aka deflation, is not a sound proposition.
Please read.

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=12109.0
Etlase2

View Profile
May 02, 2013, 11:29:27 PM

When you refer to the money supply regarding inflation and deflation, it is typically taken to mean the units of account in circulation. Meaning, stuffing dollar bills under a mattress takes money out of money supply. So does hoarding bitcoins. Money supply deflation due to lost coins (or lost dollars) is generally irrelevant compared to the changes of the units in circulation.

Bitcoiners like to confuse the money supply vs price inflation/deflation terms for various reasons, mostly because Milton Friedman said that inflation is always a monetary phenomenon. They still don't even get what he meant--hint: it is only partly due to "gubment printing dollerz".

The gist of what Elwar is saying: "bitcoin will be inflationary for 100+ years but what I really mean is that while the total number of units increases at a predictable rate, we will cause massive price inflation for the next round of suckers when we bring large amounts of bitcoins back in circulation--oops look at how high the price is!"

Elwar
Legendary

Activity: 3598
Merit: 2384

Viva Ut Vivas

View Profile WWW
May 02, 2013, 11:30:52 PM

I have discussed this at length and it simply isn't true.

The problem with #1 is that bicoins can be permanently lost, and there is a hard cap on the amount of bitcoins. That means that there will eventually be more bitcoin lost than are generated by block reward. This should be known as the 'Sweft point' where bitcoin turns into a deflationary currency from an inflationary one. Thus, to believe that transactions will increase as coins are lost, aka deflation, is not a sound proposition.
Please read.

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=12109.0

Bitcoins that are lost still exist. The fact that more bitcoins are created means their amount of bitcoins is inflating for over 100 years.

First seastead company actually selling sea homes: Ocean Builders https://ocean.builders  Of course we accept bitcoin.
Sweft (OP)

View Profile
May 02, 2013, 11:45:28 PM

When you refer to the money supply regarding inflation and deflation, it is typically taken to mean the units of account in circulation. Meaning, stuffing dollar bills under a mattress takes money out of money supply. So does hoarding bitcoins. Money supply deflation due to lost coins (or lost dollars) is generally irrelevant compared to the changes of the units in circulation.

Bitcoiners like to confuse the money supply vs price inflation/deflation terms for various reasons, mostly because Milton Friedman said that inflation is always a monetary phenomenon. They still don't even get what he meant--hint: it is only partly due to "gubment printing dollerz".

The gist of what Elwar is saying: "bitcoin will be inflationary for 100+ years but what I really mean is that while the total number of units increases at a predictable rate, we will cause massive price inflation for the next round of suckers when we bring large amounts of bitcoins back in circulation--oops look at how high the price is!"

His statement is basically irrelevant because the amount of inflation decreases to a negligible amount.

The second point is that lost coins are deflationary as much as taking dollars and burning them is.  In all practical terms, you have destroyed money.  Someone can buy bitcoins to intentionally destroy them, which is another flaw of a deflationary currency.  There's a difference between hoarded coins and lost coins because hoarded coins come into circulation every once in a while, while lost coins will never come into circulation.   And the fact that people know whether or not the coins were hoarded or destroyed would have an impact on the supply and demand.  Thus the two are not equivalent.

The other issue is that claiming lost coins are not lost is like claiming burned money can be recombined at the atomic level.  The only way the lost coins can be discovered is through brute force and if those lost coins are discovered the whole bitcoin protocol is rendered useless.

And the fractional lending you speak of is only a problem with fiat currency that is easily counterfeited.
Etlase2

View Profile
May 03, 2013, 12:02:51 AM

The second point is that lost coins are deflationary as much as taking dollars and burning them is.

The point point is that lost coins will be eclipsed by routine changes in the money supply--units in circulation. You have the wrong definition of money supply, and this is mostly the fault of the group-think and group-propaganda around here. The change of the total units added to the total supply or total units provably removed from the supply is irrelevant. There can still be an increase in the base money supply after the block chain award has gotten so small it no longer fits in 8 decimals. And there can be, will be, and are decreases when someone puts coins in an account intending to leave them there for a significant length of time.

And the fractional lending you speak of is only a problem with fiat currency that is easily counterfeited.

Yes, with all of the incentives to treat bitcoin like gold--starting FR on digital IOUs or even paper IOUs could never happen. Roll Eyes

Sweft (OP)

View Profile
May 03, 2013, 12:27:56 AM

The second point is that lost coins are deflationary as much as taking dollars and burning them is.

The point point is that lost coins will be eclipsed by routine changes in the money supply--units in circulation. You have the wrong definition of money supply, and this is mostly the fault of the group-think and group-propaganda around here. The change of the total units added to the total supply or total units provably removed from the supply is irrelevant. There can still be an increase in the base money supply after the block chain award has gotten so small it no longer fits in 8 decimals. And there can be, will be, and are decreases when someone puts coins in an account intending to leave them there for a significant length of time.

Yes, with all of the incentives to treat bitcoin like gold--starting FR on digital IOUs or even paper IOUs could never happen. Roll Eyes
Units in circulation has nothing to do with the supply of money.  You can move the decimal point wherever you want, it doesn't change anything.  I can chop a gold coin into 12 pieces, i still have the same quantity of gold.  Think of it this way.  If i owe you 10 BTC then some fool says 10 BTC is now 100 BTC, do i owe you 10 or 100?  It's not that complicated

Secondly, you made the point that lost coins are the equivalent of hoarded coins.  That is unequivocally false.  Hoarded coins, even if nobody knows you have hoarded them except yourself, affects the supply and demand of said coins.
markm
Legendary

View Profile WWW
May 03, 2013, 12:30:21 AM

Etlase2, it is starting to sound like what is really meant is the guy wants in on the make your own new coin of the day, so even if your coin matched his proposal 100% in every detail all that would mean is he needs to modify a detail...

-MarkM-

Browser-launched Crossfire client now online (select CrossCiv server for Galactic  Milieu)
Sweft (OP)

View Profile
May 03, 2013, 12:35:57 AM

Etlase2, it is starting to sound like what is really meant is the guy wants in on the make your own new coin of the day, so even if your coin matched his proposal 100% in every detail all that would mean is he needs to modify a detail...

-MarkM-

I clearly stated in my original post my ideal coin, which is just an inflationary form of Bitcoin.  What is so hard to understand?
markm
Legendary

View Profile WWW
May 03, 2013, 12:39:55 AM

For one thing, you still have not addressed the problems such as the fact there is no such thing as annual since you do not know how many blocks that will be exactly; it varies.

If you try to use a network atomic clock or whatever there are apparently big problems with such ideas, which is why bitcoin has a big fudge factor on any attempts to guess what the actual real time was when a block was made.

Also you have not substantiated any reason for the totally abitrary (it seems) guess at how many percent will actually turn out many years in the future to be the ideal. Thus in effect you are pretty much motivating or calling for up to thousands of similar coins, each with a tiny tiny difference in the exact percentage as their "justification" for why your coin cannot serve the purpose and therefore their coin is justified - it corrects the incorrect percentage you chose way back in 2013 or so, or their crystal ball is better than yours or whatever.

Come some far future time when the inflation rate starts actually approaching the general range would be a much better time to determine what the exact percentage should be in order to actually be ideal by then. YOu have not shown any whitepapers or scholarly researchg etc that indicates 2% is better than, say, 1.99% or 2.01%, or even 1% or 3% or 0% or 5% or any other number.

In the mean time the coin might as well just keep on chugging along at 50 coins per block until the precisely ideal percentage at which to change that has been empirically determined or thoroughly derived mathematically or whatever, not just made up out of thin air.

There will be years to fine tune / measure / determine the exact best percentage, no hurry to plug it in right from the start when we have only seen about two years so far of how just the plain old 50 coins per block forever works out. (Hint: so far it is one of the least popular coins, and that is without it even being old enough yet that not halving the reward at 4 years has even actually hit, as it it not yet four years old.)

If you are correct that changing to doing the 2% thing will make it ideal, then, being a very unpopular coin without that added feature, it should seem very reasonable to add that feature when the time comes.

-MarkM-

Pages: « 1 [2] 3 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: