Bitcoin Forum
April 26, 2024, 05:36:10 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 [4] 5 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: 10000 PIVX STOLEN  (Read 6530 times)
Karto

Activity: 280
Merit: 100

View Profile
September 18, 2017, 10:06:10 PM

wow, i am sorry..
i always suspect slack being unsafe application

i never store wallet on the computer that i am using...
i am doing it only on hardware/offline wallet

It is a common myth that Bitcoin is ruled by a majority of miners. This is not true. Bitcoin miners "vote" on the ordering of transactions, but that's all they do. They can't vote to change the network rules.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
aztecminer
Legendary

Activity: 1092
Merit: 1000

View Profile
September 19, 2017, 02:47:20 AM

I think u need tell us how much kind of altcoin client you running on pc.
Probably one of the altcoin clients run as a virus. when you run & sync blockchain, it search all *.dat & sync to its server.
Warren Buffert

Activity: 364
Merit: 102

View Profile
September 19, 2017, 03:00:57 AM

If you actually had read the thread, you would have seen he got "tricked" by someone offering to help him set up his masternode, and he has sent his private key to this person.
aeternus

Activity: 686
Merit: 250

View Profile
September 19, 2017, 04:23:17 AM

No unknown emails or downloads. I'm very aware of malware and can spot a dodgy download easily. Also using up to date eset smart security and malwarebyes.
You seem to be knowledgeable but it is seem you are using windows, that OS is very insecure, you should use Linux in any of its different flavors, I know that at first it can be a pain to get used to but at the end you are going to like it even more thanks to the security it brings to you, because 10000 PIVX is a lot of money.
btct22

Activity: 615
Merit: 502

View Profile
September 19, 2017, 10:49:41 AM

Windows isn't that bad now, but yes Linux is better I agree (if only because there's less malware written for it).  You also have to be careful with your private keys, not even Linux can save you from that Smiley
zeroarmy

Activity: 196

View Profile
September 19, 2017, 11:25:46 AM

WTF? You fucked up really bad. That really hurts and i feel for you  Cry
I guess this was an expensive lesson to be learned. Be more careful next time!

rainman2630

Activity: 2
Merit: 0

View Profile
September 19, 2017, 03:29:04 PM

wow thats horrid
Cryptoadvisors

Activity: 7

View Profile
September 19, 2017, 09:10:42 PM

Guys, i only said that my pivx are with mike's pivx and other 97.000 Pivx. I didn't sent any private key or other key to my slack interlocutor but he helped me config a masternode and finally sent me a filezilla named chaines and bloks to sync my masternode and after opening and downloaded it and installed it, instantly the pivx left my wallet. Simple.
This was in June. Until now the thief didn't withdraw any but is staking.
HarryHirsch

Activity: 25
Merit: 10

View Profile
October 04, 2017, 03:29:03 PM

Sorry to hear that...
But really NEVER give away your private Keys.
Keep your head up!
Yazanarki

Activity: 22

View Profile
October 15, 2017, 07:28:06 PM

It saddens me when I hear about theft in Crypto. You are not dumb, you seem like an honest and honorable person who unfortunately gave someone you thought was a developer your private keys. Karma is a bitch and I hope the person who took your funds would have the decency to return them. A man who cons will one day meet a con far smarter and better and his loss will be far more painful. If one thinks about the banking sector, where theft is a daily activity, and rewards are never granted on merit, where failure by the elite is paid for by the people, and the very people bailed out prey on the poor (with insane credit score bs, outrageous interest, and "fees" galore), crypto was supposed to be more than just "money", it was supposed to level the playing field, take out the leaches and middlemen and put control back in the hands of the people. Unfortunately, it seems the bankers are jumping right into it and peer to peer has become "ICO get rich". The truth is changing the status quo can only come from those with the means and resources to make it happen, do it out of duty, not profit. If we cannot defend those weaker than us and strive for true change, our children may one day pay the price for our blindness and apathy.
Cryptoadvisors

View Profile
October 16, 2017, 08:45:12 PM

Hi, a little update on the story. SO the address where everybody can check is this http://www.presstab.pw/phpexplorer/PIVX/address.php?address=DC2zB4fnzEaYyjc4SbzVgJSxAXUtK4Vk6Y there are all lost pivx. I have talked with Pivx Devs and they refused to give me the address of the person registered on their team even if it doesn't count so much. It is the gesture. They did't helped, they said we who lost money where stupid and if i need email address or anything else to come with a court order. Not cool.
nightpainter

Activity: 37

View Profile
October 16, 2017, 09:28:37 PM

Hi, a little update on the story. SO the address where everybody can check is this http://www.presstab.pw/phpexplorer/PIVX/address.php?address=DC2zB4fnzEaYyjc4SbzVgJSxAXUtK4Vk6Y there are all lost pivx. I have talked with Pivx Devs and they refused to give me the address of the person registered on their team even if it doesn't count so much. It is the gesture. They did't helped, they said we who lost money where stupid and if i need email address or anything else to come with a court order. Not cool.

Would you care to copy the response here, so we can see how they treated you? I'm just curious.
Johnnywelsh

Activity: 378
Merit: 101

View Profile
October 16, 2017, 09:50:56 PM

The fact that you asked if you were sent a keylogger leads me to believe your IT skills are not as good as you claim. Either you know you've been sent executable content recently that was suspicious or you haven't. It couldn't have magically traveled over the Internet.

The only alternative if you've been posting your IP addresses and discussing setting up a masternode was you had a missing Windows patch that allowed remote code execution on your machine.

moore100

Activity: 66

View Profile
October 16, 2017, 10:01:11 PM

thanks to all who provided me with help in this theft.

I AM A FUCKIN DUMB NOOB who did infact did send my private key to alistar.
who i thought was a dev as he was in the #support channel and had a pivx logo next to his name.
He was very kind to offer help in a private chat he told me to type in to the debug console "dumpprivkey"
He then deleted the massage on slack.

i did not get hacked!!!!!
i gave my money away.  
(IDIOT NOOB)
sorry for wasting your time
I shall make it back by investing more in crypto!!!
In all seriousness, I would honestly consider rethink investing in newer cryptos if you had trouble setting up things like a node yourself, and especially if you were willing to send your private key to other people, even if they were a real dev it'd be insane.
I really fell bad for your lose Sad
But really there is only two things that you Never Never give to anyone "Private Keys" and "Password". Even if it's a Dev why would he need a private key from you? If you was drunk or high at the time i can understand Cheesy but otherwise you should be more careful in the future if you decided to invest more

anasso

Activity: 224

View Profile
October 16, 2017, 10:24:29 PM

i suggest you to trace the destination adress of your coin and email exhanges to block amounts of the thief send them to exchange!

you can't know who stole your coins until he sell them in exchanges!
Cryptoadvisors

View Profile
October 17, 2017, 03:43:34 PM

Let me be clear. I am not the guy who started this post. I didn't give up my private key or either key. I am the victim of same thief who also stole from the guy who post. I downloaded a file and installed block and chain folders and the pivx left immediately my wallet. Ten thousand pivx. I could put my conversation with pivx support team, they didn't want to provide me the email of the thief or no information whatsoever. I do not want to make FUD on pivx but this is the reality. The pivx is all collected in one account and the thief is staking. They told me to come with a court order to give me the thief address. They also asked if i am not the thief myself. 
HashFace

Activity: 406
Merit: 114

View Profile
October 17, 2017, 04:26:20 PM

Let me be clear. I am not the guy who started this post. I didn't give up my private key or either key. I am the victim of same thief who also stole from the guy who post. I downloaded a file and installed block and chain folders and the pivx left immediately my wallet. Ten thousand pivx. I could put my conversation with pivx support team, they didn't want to provide me the email of the thief or no information whatsoever. I do not want to make FUD on pivx but this is the reality. The pivx is all collected in one account and the thief is staking. They told me to come with a court order to give me the thief address. They also asked if i am not the thief myself.  

Were you getting advice from a user on Slack at the time it happened?  Seems like the OP traced his loss back to a Slack user who pretended to be a developer and then stole his coins.
nightpainter

Activity: 37

View Profile
October 18, 2017, 10:25:16 PM

Were you getting advice from a user on Slack at the time it happened?  Seems like the OP traced his loss back to a Slack user who pretended to be a developer and then stole his coins.

Here is one methodology I know is being used: The thief directs you to download a file for installation; it's the wallet installation package, but this one is infected with a trojan virus. You start up the wallet, transfer your coins to the new address, then the thief takes them. That's all I know. One could guess that the trojan broadcasts a signal that allows the thief to access your remote server, grab your dat, or whatever. I'm only guessing....I don't know how the actual crime is pulled off. But I can tell you there's a infected installer, I can assure you. Easy to duplicate this for many coins, and pull off the heist across all these slack boards.

Haitham

Activity: 69

Cryptos = New hope in life!

View Profile
October 19, 2017, 01:14:20 AM

That's really sad.. don't think u can do much about it Sad

gotit

Activity: 43

View Profile
October 19, 2017, 01:17:29 AM