Bitcoin Forum
June 17, 2024, 07:44:09 AM *
News: Voting for pizza day contest

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 [6]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: My new mining rig - quad 7970 - Going for 3Gh/s  (Read 9658 times)
clin407

Activity: 12
Merit: 0

View Profile
May 29, 2013, 06:13:32 PM

Damn ever thought of selling your cases? They look awesome for mining.
pontiacg5 (OP)

Activity: 364
Merit: 250

View Profile
May 31, 2013, 03:24:09 AM

I have! In fact, I may have one for sale here in the next day or two  Grin

So my radiators showed up, and I had to put half of it together to test for leaks  Roll Eyes

I kinked the outlet pretty good to simulate the load of everything still missing.

It still moves water pretty good!

I also finished the reservoir, except for the gasket I need to cut still. I ordered some fittings for inside as well, to direct the water flow a bit better.

I managed to get a bit of the waterblocks done too, I'll have them finished tomorrow  Cool

More to come  Wink

Please DO NOT send me private messages asking for help setting up GPU miners. I will not respond!!!
pontiacg5 (OP)

View Profile
June 01, 2013, 02:28:28 AM

Got some more done on the waterblocks today, hope to get a lot more done tomorrow. Gotta love the weekends!

Please DO NOT send me private messages asking for help setting up GPU miners. I will not respond!!!
pontiacg5 (OP)

View Profile
July 04, 2013, 10:54:24 PM

So I haven't posted any updates in a while, I kinda got sidetracked with a V8 S10 project  Grin

Here's a few pics of my progress though. I have everything I need now, so I hope to put it all together this weekend. Wish me luck! Custom water around ~$2800 worth of PC stuff makes me a bit nervous!

Here's my new manifold. I decided to make it out of brass instead of plastic, because drilling a ~10" deep hole perfectly straight is no fun.

The gasket is laser cut silicon .005" thick. It seals well, and it's reusable!

The manifold goes on top of the I/O panel, plus it also holds the cards steady. The CPU is now going to be in series with the cards, probably should have been done that way to begin with though.

These are VRM blocks, not so sure how well this will work yet, but it has to be better than stock!

Finally, a complete GPU block with all the mounting hardware. Those little slits are .020" thick, and were an extreme PITA! The standoffs will mount through the PCB, then the brass nut will hold the block down tight.

Going to try laser cutting some thermal pads for the RAM and VRM blocks, that ought to be interesting. The fans I'm using are stupid powerful, and the pump has complete analog control of fan speed based on coolant temperature. Going to try and make a voltage regulating circuit that uses the 5W pump analog fan signal as reference because all these fans draw 6W+ a piece and would overheat the pump's fan controller!

More to come, soon!

KSGuy

Activity: 429

View Profile
July 05, 2013, 02:01:58 AM

Very nice case there, I've worked in a machine shop and can appreciate the time it took to punch of fold that up. Once you get your cooling controlled a bit more it it'll look nice humming along.
As easy option but maybe a bit ugly would be to use risers then mount your cards spaced out more on another plate of steal.

*edit* oh, I didn't see the last page, it looks like you'll have it under control soon.  Wink
asurry

Activity: 1
Merit: 0

View Profile
July 05, 2013, 07:40:36 PM

Man Pontiacg5, it's rare I read from beginning to end on a thread. I've bookmarked this in my 'Daily Reads' so I can follow your progress. It looks like you're having fun with pushing the limits of this build. The moment when you decided to do your own water blocks just kind of blew my mind. Your machining and cad skills are seriously impressive. I'm pretty excited to see how your custom water solution works.
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 [6]  All
  Print  

Jump to: