Bitcoin Forum
April 23, 2024, 06:59:16 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Cancel Unconfirmed Transaction  (Read 2202 times)
EddieRock (OP)

Activity: 11
Merit: 0

View Profile
May 04, 2017, 10:10:08 PM

I have a transaction that has ended up stuck in Unconfirmed Transaction. Looks like I made a mistake and the fee was too low. I'm afraid that this won't ever get committed. How do I cancel and resend the transaction with Armory? Is doing this safe? The transaction has been stuck for 20 hours or so. It was a simple transfer from BTC to LTC

Here is the transaction: https://blockchain.info/tx/af4fb858b6ae6226b055f7c7304b50771fbaa8875afdb1c2d3dd90bbfe3481d8

I've read how to zapwallettxes here: https://bitcoin.stackexchange.com/questions/9046/why-is-my-transaction-not-getting-confirmed-and-what-can-i-do-about-it
but I'm not sure if that will cause other issues with my wallet and address

Please, if you can, provide guidance here.

thanks,

EddieRock

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
The block chain is the main innovation of Bitcoin. It is the first distributed timestamping system.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
achow101
Staff
Legendary

Activity: 3374
Merit: 6531

Just writing some code

View Profile WWW
May 04, 2017, 10:36:42 PM

zapwallettxes is only for Bitcoin Core.

In Armory, go to Help > Clear All Unconfirmed and then restart Armory. This will have Armory forget about your unconfirmed transactions so you can respend the inputs. Once Armory has started again, just make the transaction as you normally would but include a higher fee. You may run into an issue where Bitcoin Core will reject your transaction because it still remembers the original. In that case, you will need to stop Bitcoin Core, find the mempool.dat file, and delete that file. Then start Core and Armory again.

EddieRock (OP)

View Profile
May 04, 2017, 10:51:06 PM

zapwallettxes is only for Bitcoin Core.

In Armory, go to Help > Clear All Unconfirmed and then restart Armory. This will have Armory forget about your unconfirmed transactions so you can respend the inputs. Once Armory has started again, just make the transaction as you normally would but include a higher fee. You may run into an issue where Bitcoin Core will reject your transaction because it still remembers the original. In that case, you will need to stop Bitcoin Core, find the mempool.dat file, and delete that file. Then start Core and Armory again.

So my .75 btc will show back up in my wallet? Do I have to re-do the transaction still? Since it was hung, changer.com never processed the request.

thanks again

Ed
achow101
Staff
Legendary

Just writing some code

View Profile WWW
May 04, 2017, 11:40:07 PM

So my .75 btc will show back up in my wallet? Do I have to re-do the transaction still? Since it was hung, changer.com never processed the request.
If you do not attempt to respend the inputs, it is possible that your original transaction will still confirm and the Bitcoin will go to whoever you sent it to.

EddieRock (OP)

View Profile
May 05, 2017, 12:16:40 AM

If you do not attempt to respend the inputs, it is possible that your original transaction will still confirm and the Bitcoin will go to whoever you sent it to.

I'm sorry but I don't know what you mean by "inputs". So, if I "Clear Unconfirmed", the BTC should show up in my wallet. Then if I move that BTC to another wallet, (and then back), that should consider it spent or "respend"?

ELI5 I guess... Thanks for your help!!!!

EddieRock
achow101
Staff
Legendary

Just writing some code

View Profile WWW
May 05, 2017, 03:23:07 AM

I'm sorry but I don't know what you mean by "inputs". So, if I "Clear Unconfirmed", the BTC should show up in my wallet. Then if I move that BTC to another wallet, (and then back), that should consider it spent or "respend"?

ELI5 I guess... Thanks for your help!!!!

EddieRock
Bitcoin transactions work by creating outputs and spending the outputs created by a previous transaction. The spending of outputs is called an input in a transaction. You have a transaction which spends some inputs and creates outputs for people that you now don't want to pay. In order to prevent this transaction from ever confirming, you must spend those inputs in a different transaction and get that transaction to confirm. By doing so, you will invalidate the original transaction since you can't spend inputs in two different transactions and have both confirm. That is the only way to guarantee that your Bitcoin actually returns to you.

You can just send the Bitcoin to an address in your wallet. To ensure that you spend the right inputs, you should use the Coin Control option and find and select the inputs that you spent in your original transaction. They are all labeled by the transaction id that created the output you want to spend and the output index (which number output it is). This will ensure that you spend the right inputs.

EddieRock (OP)

View Profile
May 05, 2017, 06:00:37 PM

I went to Help >> Clear All Unconfirmed and then shut down Armory. Waited a few minutes and started Armory back up.

The Unconfirmed transaction is still there (grayed out).

I did it again and then looked for the mempool.dat file and couldn't find it. I think I need to find this file but I don't know where it should be located. I looked in my bitcoin directory as well as Armory. No dice Sad

I understand what I'm trying to do now but the unconfirmed transaction still shows up. Should't this go away after I clear unconfirmed?

Is there a step I'm missing?

Ed
EddieRock (OP)

View Profile
May 06, 2017, 02:14:57 PM

Looks like after lots of research, all I had to do us upgrade to .96 as the Armory version I was using (about a month old) had a bug where the clear unconfirmed didn't work.

Just now waiting on confirmation.

I upgraded Smiley

Ed
2NIzko

Activity: 15

View Profile
May 08, 2017, 09:35:41 AM

Looks like after lots of research, all I had to do us upgrade to .96 as the Armory version I was using (about a month old) had a bug where the clear unconfirmed didn't work.

Just now waiting on confirmation.

I upgraded Smiley

Ed

EddieRock i am having the EXACT same problem as you!! im currently on 95.1, did upgrading and clear unconfirmed work for you eventually?, did the grey entry disappear? ?

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: