Bitcoin Forum
May 07, 2024, 01:27:47 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Bitcoin Vanity Messages  (Read 1593 times)
derive (OP)

Activity: 6
Merit: 1

View Profile
May 05, 2017, 02:59:52 AM
Last edit: May 09, 2017, 06:23:38 AM by derive
Merited by ABCbits (1)

I saw people posting about WikiLeaks doing this so I thought I'd make a tool to do it automatically.

You can check it out here:
https://github.com/ableiten/vsend

An example message can be seen here: https://blockchain.info/tx/ae4a62415ac13b57fd3ad7a6c1c6c7092508d22622d94a20b90441ad3e78e67a

Edit: fixed message link

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
The Bitcoin network protocol was designed to be extremely flexible. It can be used to create timed transactions, escrow transactions, multi-signature transactions, etc. The current features of the client only hint at what will be possible in the future.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
mmo_online_1981

Activity: 798
Merit: 250

View Profile
May 06, 2017, 05:22:13 AM

Thank you for sharing, there are also many applications for creating BTC wallet, I also use similar application to create private wallet!
ownageplocks

Activity: 97
Merit: 10

View Profile
May 07, 2017, 11:21:33 PM

What is a vanity message and why are you trying to send one? It seems to me you might be a bit confused as to what's going on.
derive (OP)

View Profile
May 08, 2017, 03:23:56 AM

What is a vanity message and why are you trying to send one? It seems to me you might be a bit confused as to what's going on.
I already wrote the tool and it already sends vanity messages. I'm just sharing it here, not asking for help. I think you may be the one who is confused about what this script is meant to do and what this thread is for.

Thanks for asking about the project, though.
digaran
Copper Member

Activity: 1330
Merit: 899

🖤😏

View Profile
May 08, 2017, 07:14:22 AM

So nice wow, just joking as that link leads to no where, transaction not found, good job in successfully generating a non existing transaction OP.

🖤😏
derive (OP)

View Profile
May 08, 2017, 12:53:37 PM

Fixed transaction link.
kolloh
Legendary

Activity: 1736
Merit: 1023

View Profile
May 09, 2017, 02:26:44 AM

That is pretty cool, but I was winning for so long until now xD

Why types of messages was WikiLeaks sending via transactions like this by the way?
KenR

Activity: 910
Merit: 1000

「きみはこれ&#

View Profile
May 09, 2017, 05:24:55 AM

He definitely doesn't seem confused.You seem like the one that needs to keep up with the network protocols.

Op,nice project but is it really worth taking the risks ? Not compatible with Python 3?
Cross posting quote from your GH.

This tool is somewhat hacked together so you're liable to lose your Bitcoin if you fuck anything up. You have been warned.
I'll take that warning seriously.

████
█ ████
█ ████
█ ████
█ ████ █
█ ████ █
█ ████ █
█ ████ █
█ ████ █
  ████ █
  ████ █
  ████ █
  ████
  ████
█ ████
█ ████
█ ████
█ ████ █
█ ████ █
█ ████ █
█ ████ █
█ ████ █
  ████ █
  ████ █
  ████ █
  ████
  .WEBSITE.
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
  .ANN THREAD.
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
  ████
█ ████
█ ████
█ ████
█ ████ █
█ ████ █
█ ████ █
█ ████ █
█ ████ █
  ████ █
  ████ █
  ████ █
  ████
derive (OP)

View Profile
May 09, 2017, 05:47:49 AM

He definitely doesn't seem confused.You seem like the one that needs to keep up with the network protocols.

Op,nice project but is it really worth taking the risks ? Not compatible with Python 3?
Cross posting quote from your GH.

This tool is somewhat hacked together so you're liable to lose your Bitcoin if you fuck anything up. You have been warned.
I'll take that warning seriously.
I've had no problems using the tool myself. The reason it uses Python 2 is because pybitcointools is no longer maintained and is unsupported on Python 3  which is sad since it is also the most convenient library to use IMO. The warning is really there to encourage people to check out the code themselves and know what exactly is going to happen before they put their Bitcoin through it.
ImHash

Activity: 924
Merit: 506

View Profile
May 09, 2017, 05:50:33 AM

"You just lost the game" and you killed yourself just to use the addresses prefix letters as the message? even though it's a cool way of doing cryptography inside the cryptography but that's just spam with zero fee transactions you spammer Cheesy
derive (OP)

View Profile
May 09, 2017, 06:27:17 AM

Why types of messages was WikiLeaks sending via transactions like this by the way?
https://blockchain.info/tx/72162e9224dbadefb84834046ee8b4706af77f57fa4e8fd5aaf3255abf516807

"You just lost the game" and you killed yourself just to use the addresses prefix letters as the message? even though it's a cool way of doing cryptography inside the cryptography but that's just spam with zero fee transactions you spammer Cheesy
Did not realize it mattered at all. You can add a fee using the -f switch.
kolloh
Legendary

Activity: 1736
Merit: 1023

View Profile
May 09, 2017, 02:28:41 PM

https://blockchain.info/tx/72162e9224dbadefb84834046ee8b4706af77f57fa4e8fd5aaf3255abf516807

Thanks for the example. So they were sending to their own address to relay messages to their visitors. I guess the downside to these types of messages is that you have no guarantee who the sender actually is unless you also include an address that is known to be controlled by the supposed sender in the inputs.
minifrij
Legendary

Activity: 2324
Merit: 1267

In Memory of Zepher

View Profile WWW
May 09, 2017, 07:39:59 PM

Thanks for the example. So they were sending to their own address to relay messages to their visitors. I guess the downside to these types of messages is that you have no guarantee who the sender actually is unless you also include an address that is known to be controlled by the supposed sender in the inputs.
Or send the BTC to each address like Wikileaks did.

There also appears to be a very small bug in your program.
This line:
Code:
if bool(re.search("[lIO]", term)):
should be
Code:
if bool(re.search("[lIO0]", term)):
The character '0' also isn't allowed in vanity addresses.
derive (OP)

View Profile
May 10, 2017, 03:39:16 AM

There also appears to be a very small bug in your program.
This line:
Code:
if bool(re.search("[lIO]", term)):
should be
Code:
if bool(re.search("[lIO0]", term)):
The character '0' also isn't allowed in vanity addresses.

Really appreciate you pointing this out, thanks. It has been fixed.

You can fill the vanity wallets using a trusted wallet to make the messages verifiable. See the above post for more information on this.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: