Bitcoin Forum
May 05, 2024, 07:03:43 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: 1 2 [All]
  Print  
Author Topic: So um, Avalon, yeah...It's been 2 weeks, and we need some answers.  (Read 4517 times)
coastermonger (OP)

Activity: 367
Merit: 250

Find me at Bitrated

View Profile
April 29, 2013, 01:00:42 AM

Yes, we know you guys must be busy, but I could list a million reasons why it's better to keep your customers informed rather than guessing.  Whether you care more about profits or the integrity of bitcoin itself, just give us a quick update.
  • It restores confidence in your users.
  • It prevents FUD, and a torrent of angry or confused emails
  • It makes customers more likely to trust and buy from you in the future
  • It reflects well on bitcoin when its companies are responsible and open.

Quite simply, here's what we need to know.

1.) When do you estimate shipping of the next batches to begin?
2.) How long will it take to ship an entire batch from start to finish?
3.) In your honest opinion based on experience, when will batch #2 and #3 devices begin to arrive to customers?
4.) Is there any special preference to how orders will be shipped?
5.) What is your preferred method for notifying your customers when their order is on the way?  

Lots of love, kisses 'n hugs.
-The people that sent you thousands of BTC

Bitrated user: Rees.
Bitcoin mining is now a specialized and very risky industry, just like gold mining. Amateur miners are unlikely to make much money, and may even lose money. Bitcoin is much more than just mining, though!
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
KGambler

Activity: 236
Merit: 100

View Profile
April 29, 2013, 01:11:19 AM

Does Avalon give refunds?
Bowjob

Activity: 294

View Profile
April 29, 2013, 01:11:56 AM

Does Avalon give refunds?

Nope. When I signed up for batch 2, I knew it could be a piss in the wind. Oh well.

It seemed like a good idea at the time.
coastermonger (OP)

Find me at Bitrated

View Profile
April 29, 2013, 01:24:34 AM

Nope. When I signed up for batch 2, I knew it could be a piss in the wind. Oh well

Although, it would be really, really weird for them to take all that preorder money, release one batch, and then just run off with it.  I have little doubt about their ability to deliver a product.  Even BFL was destined to eventually deliver something.  The big difference is always the timetable, and who to trust as the quickest.  My guess is that Avalon is running into legitimate delays and don't want to face the music. 

Wayne_Chang

Activity: 448

View Profile
April 29, 2013, 01:44:19 AM

There is a lot of people looking for the shipment of batch#2. And due to delay of batch#2, batch#3 will soon be involved to the delay.
What can we do beyond waiting?
monkee

Activity: 172

View Profile
April 29, 2013, 02:04:25 AM

we already know number 4.
remember we are not special Smiley
nanobit

Activity: 77
Merit: 10

View Profile
April 29, 2013, 07:08:31 PM

There is a lot of people looking for the shipment of batch#2. And due to delay of batch#2, batch#3 will soon be involved to the delay.

I asked/suggested in a similar thread whether anyone has tried calling them? The phone number was in their previous email. I'm sure we have a lot of Chinese friends here waiting for their ASICs, perhaps someone could try calling them?
grue
Legendary

Activity: 2058
Merit: 1431

View Profile
April 29, 2013, 08:20:28 PM

I asked/suggested in a similar thread whether anyone has tried calling them? The phone number was in their previous email. I'm sure we have a lot of Chinese friends here waiting for their ASICs, perhaps someone could try calling them?
it's 3 day holiday in china right now.

It is pitch black. You are likely to be eaten by a grue.

Adblock for annoying signature ads | Enhanced Merit UI
allinvain
Legendary

Activity: 3080
Merit: 1080

View Profile WWW
April 30, 2013, 12:16:47 AM

Hmm, how many holidays do Chinese have Smiley It seems like they got it pretty good. 1 Month long new year, 3 day holiday...etc etc

grue
Legendary

View Profile
April 30, 2013, 12:43:35 AM

The number is for Mr. Chen, a used chip vendor in Beijing.  He has nothing to do with Avalon and just photographs the mailing label and emails it to Yifu.

Please don't bother poor Mr. Chen.

Lot's of people have Yifu's phone number.  I won't post it here though.

I also am eagerly waiting for an update, and concerned about the complete lack of communication.  I hope I don't have to wait for the bitcoin conference to track Yifu down.
DO WANT. send it through PM Wink

Hmm, how many holidays do Chinese have Smiley It seems like they got it pretty good. 1 Month long new year, 3 day holiday...etc etc

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Public_holidays_in_the_People%27s_Republic_of_China

GGGGG

Activity: 183

View Profile
April 30, 2013, 01:10:00 AM
Last edit: April 30, 2013, 04:29:39 AM by GGGGG

It *sounds* like they got it good, but the PRC is weird and workers have to work extra days on the weekend to make up for any days off for holiday. "Hey, it's labor day! Celebrate your hard work by having a couple days off! Oh, yeah, but you have to work this weekend and next weekend to make up for the missing days."
Vicus

Activity: 798
Merit: 1000

View Profile
April 30, 2013, 01:13:47 AM

Lot's of people have Yifu's phone number.  I won't post it here though.
So, why not to make a call, and ask Yifu: "WTF dude?"
evolve

Activity: 700
Merit: 500

daytrader/superhero

View Profile
April 30, 2013, 01:21:01 AM

Although, it would be really, really weird for them to take all that preorder money, release one batch, and then just run off with it. 

Not really.

If you are trying to scam a bunch of people, releasing a small batch will allow you to extend the time frame of the scam (people will wait longer if they see an actual product), and allow you bait new suckers in ("if those other people got one, surely it' not a scam").  Basically, "the long con" by selective scamming.

That said, I know nothing about avalon, I am just playing devils advocate here.
robamichael

Activity: 144

View Profile WWW
April 30, 2013, 01:43:51 AM

Although, it would be really, really weird for them to take all that preorder money, release one batch, and then just run off with it. 

Not really.

If you are trying to scam a bunch of people, releasing a small batch will allow you to extend the time frame of the scam (people will wait longer if they see an actual product), and allow you bait new suckers in ("if those other people got one, surely it' not a scam").  Basically, "the long con" by selective scamming.

That said, I know nothing about avalon, I am just playing devils advocate here.

Seems to me that they would be better off continuing to produce chips.

They already invested in the equipment, and have a reputation as the only company to deliver products in bulk.

I think they would profit more by sticking around.

CoinHoarder
Legendary

Activity: 1484
Merit: 1026

In Cryptocoins I Trust

View Profile
April 30, 2013, 02:06:10 AM

*sharpens his pitch fork*

In all seriousness, I think everyone should just chill out a bit. BFL is currently shipping at such a slow speed and in only 5 Gh increments, so this should not affect our ROI much as long as Avalon starts shipping soon.

I think they are having problems with the installation/set up of their new production equipment.
Wayne_Chang

Activity: 448

View Profile
April 30, 2013, 02:23:47 AM

*sharpens his pitch fork*

In all seriousness, I think everyone should just chill out a bit. BFL is currently shipping at such a slow speed and in only 5 Gh increments, so this should not affect our ROI much as long as Avalon starts shipping soon.

I think they are having problems with the installation/set up of their new production equipment.
No matter what happened. As they missed their promise to ship the batch#2 machines within April, they should give us an update instead of keeping silence.
chriswen

Activity: 756
Merit: 500

View Profile
April 30, 2013, 02:29:50 AM

Yeah lol, the Jalapeno's combined hashrate is nothing compared to Batch #1 and Batch #2.
Minor Miner
Legendary

Activity: 2282
Merit: 1012

Be A Digital Miner

View Profile
April 30, 2013, 03:09:17 AM

OK, I admit I do not understand all the nuances and relationships between people in the forums but I had asked this question earlier about what caused the huge increase in the network that cannot be explain by the known sources.   Most people suggested that it is gpus coming on line but that would be thousands of miners and I would think the pool operators would know if thousands of new miners joined correct?
So, what got me really concerned about that was a Hero member's (kano) post basically accusing avalon of either running off with the money OR mining with their customer's units today.    I do not know the history between avalon and Kano, but kano seems to be pretty respected as a developer.   Is his assertion credible?    Why would avalon say they are shipping in a week and then say nothing for three weeks?  If they were "a week" from shipping what could stop them from hitting schedule?   Or why would they not just take two minutes to post the simple explanation?   
I might be a noob, but it seems that the only ASIC group that communicates with the people that fund them is "friedcat".   thoughts?

Edit: and I will add the disturbing question about that 23 year old ...
Where are the almost $2mil worth of hardware people have paid for and are still waiting for?
(They've only shipped ~300 devices in more than 3 months ...)
Are they mining on them (the least worrisome) or have they disappeared altogether (the most worrisome but least likely possibility)

Vicus

Activity: 798

View Profile
April 30, 2013, 03:21:57 AM

I do not know the history between avalon and Kano, but kano seems to be pretty respected as a developer.   Is his assertion credible?
Kano claimed, that he as one of developers of cgminer eligible for free unit. Yufi said, that he is not special and must pay at least. Kano got very angry and now he hate Avalon and Yifu personally Smiley
coastermonger (OP)

Find me at Bitrated

View Profile
April 30, 2013, 03:27:41 AM

As far as I'm aware, most of the added hashpower seen in April has been from ASICminer no?  They're practically going to own the blockchain by the end of the year if Avalon and BFL don't get it in gear

Minor Miner
Legendary

Activity: 2282
Merit: 1012

Be A Digital Miner

View Profile
April 30, 2013, 03:28:34 AM

I do not know the history between avalon and Kano, but kano seems to be pretty respected as a developer.   Is his assertion credible?
Kano claimed, that he as one of developers of cgminer eligible for free unit. Yufi said, that he is not special and must pay at least. Kano got very angry and now he hate Avalon and Yifu personally Smiley
I read their "fight" thread but my concern is that why would kano make a specific accusation like the one quoted (he did this yesterday) unless he knew something.   Is there any way that anyone can know who all the increase in TH/s is coming from?   Or could guys like kano have a way to figure out if it is truly from 25,000 GPUs being added in the last month vs. a bunch of asics?   That is more my question.   Not who was right in the original catfight.

gmaxwell
Legendary

Activity: 4158
Merit: 8382

View Profile WWW
April 30, 2013, 03:49:55 AM

I read their "fight" thread but my concern is that why would kano make a specific accusation like the one quoted (he did this yesterday) unless he knew something.   Is there any way that anyone can know who all the increase in TH/s is coming from?   Or could guys like kano have a way to figure out if it is truly from 25,000 GPUs being added in the last month vs. a bunch of asics?   That is more my question.   Not who was right in the original catfight.
I suggest you look at Kano's post history wrt avalon before batch #1 shipped. It may aid your reasoning on this matter.
k9quaint
Legendary

Activity: 1190

View Profile
April 30, 2013, 04:02:28 AM

I suggest you look at Kano's post history wrt avalon before batch #1 shipped. It may aid your reasoning on this matter.

You can start here:
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=87934.msg1511889#msg1511889

Kano jumped on the BFL bandwagon because of a falling out he had with Avalon.

Bitcoin is backed by the full faith and credit of YouTube comments.
SolarSilver
Legendary

Activity: 1112

View Profile
April 30, 2013, 12:36:23 PM

You can start here:
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=87934.msg1511889#msg1511889

Kano jumped on the BFL bandwagon because of a falling out he had with Avalon.

Memories from good times: Topic: Kano vs Bitsyncom https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=142083.0
SRoulette

Activity: 364
Merit: 252

View Profile WWW
April 30, 2013, 12:41:38 PM

*chuckle* That was an entertaining read.

Malawi

Activity: 224

One bitcoin to rule them all!

View Profile
April 30, 2013, 01:51:48 PM

My little take on this from the sideline is that Avalon was late with their 1'st batch, and thus batch 2 has to be late aswell. But they have their design ready, and are making a fair amount of units. Now it's mainly about churning out units. This should mean that batch 2 will not be as late as batch 1, and with some luck batch 3 might be delivered on time.

Since batch 3 was priced pretty high, I assume that they now have pretty good financing and might opt to not take orders before they have actual unit ready-made or in a production line with pretty firm delivery dates.

BitCoin is NOT a pyramid - it's a pagoda.
jspielberg

Activity: 490
Merit: 255

View Profile
May 01, 2013, 03:17:39 AM

I don't know, but it sounds vaguely ominous.
Phinnaeus Gage
Legendary

Activity: 1918
Merit: 1570

Bitcoin: An Idea Worth Spending

View Profile WWW
May 01, 2013, 05:15:15 AM

Name:   ngzhang
Position:   Hero Member
Date Registered:   August 11, 2011, 05:15:15 AM
Last Active:   April 02, 2013, 08:40:10 AM

As president of The Bitcoin Hero Member Foundation, I see no cause for alarm.
SolarSilver
Legendary

Activity: 1112

View Profile
May 01, 2013, 12:02:13 PM

Name:   ngzhang
Position:   Hero Member
Date Registered:   August 11, 2011, 05:15:15 AM
Last Active:   April 02, 2013, 08:40:10 AM

As president of The Bitcoin Hero Member Foundation, I see no cause for alarm.

At least he is consistent:

http://translate.google.com/translate?sl=zh-CN&tl=en&js=n&prev=_t&hl=en&ie=UTF-8&eotf=1&u=http%3A%2F%2Fbbs.btcman.com%2Fhome.php%3Fmod%3Dspace%26uid%3D103&act=url

Last Visit 2013-4-3 17:00
Last activity time 2013-4-3 17:00
Last post time 2013-3-25 19:17
vvic

Activity: 144
Merit: 104

View Profile
May 03, 2013, 09:22:31 PM

wow, you people are so impatient.  Grin It's been ONLY 2 weeks. Batch #1 people had to wait waaay longer. You will get your asics eventually. And they will be uber pimpish. Not like batch #1  asics. So you should be happy Grin
ecliptic

Activity: 322

View Profile
May 10, 2013, 05:20:55 AM

Pretty funny that such an "open-source" philosophy guy proves it was nothing more than lip service when the prospect of a 4 figure profit from BFL flashes before his eyes after he feels ripped off because, what, he didn't get his entitlement to free hardware from Avalon?

Meanwhile Avalon has done orders of magnitude more to actually forward the cause and distribute to the people the ability to secure the network (Selling chips)

Or am i missing something here?
computerparts

Activity: 378

View Profile
May 10, 2013, 05:34:41 AM

It must suck to be you guys.
grue
Legendary

View Profile
May 10, 2013, 07:02:35 PM

It must suck to be you guys.
it must suck to be a troll.

tiananmenqian

Activity: 54
Merit: 0

View Profile
May 11, 2013, 12:15:13 AM

4 weeks
6 weeks
8 weeks
TheSwede75

Activity: 224

View Profile
May 11, 2013, 01:35:35 AM

wow, you people are so impatient.  Grin It's been ONLY 2 weeks. Batch #1 people had to wait waaay longer. You will get your asics eventually. And they will be uber pimpish. Not like batch #1  asics. So you should be happy Grin

Obviously everyone would rather wait for a miner with flames on the side and downloadeable ringtones then get it right away. I mean BTC difficulty should drop soon right!  Roll Eyes
SRoulette

Activity: 364
Merit: 252

View Profile WWW
May 12, 2013, 03:57:24 AM

Pretty funny that such an "open-source" philosophy guy proves it was nothing more than lip service when the prospect of a 4 figure profit from BFL flashes before his eyes after he feels ripped off because, what, he didn't get his entitlement to free hardware from Avalon?

Meanwhile Avalon has done orders of magnitude more to actually forward the cause and distribute to the people the ability to secure the network (Selling chips)

Or am i missing something here?

Thats it in a nutshell.

Still dont let one bad egg on the OSS community ruin the whole damn bunch Smiley

Pages: 1 2 [All]
  Print  

Jump to: