Bitcoin Forum
May 07, 2024, 08:37:03 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: PM attempting to get me to enter my login info?  (Read 532 times)
staxxd (OP)

Activity: 172
Merit: 100

'Bout It.

View Profile
May 07, 2017, 02:07:33 AM

Sorry if this isn't posted in the right area, first of all.
I understand if it gets moved, I am not really familiar with forums in general and was kind of weirded out by the message so this looked like the best place to ask about it.
 I did report it to admin but I don't know how long, in general, it might take to get a message back from them or if I should be doing anything besides not falling for the bait. I'm sure others have gotten similar messages from people with little activity, a simple message said they responded to me and it had a link which I clicked on and it popped up with a page that looked like the sign in page but obviously I was already signed in if I just checked my messages so I back clicked out and reported it.
I know little about security stuff I guess, I am wondering if any harm could have been done by clicking the link alone or if I am fine? Again I am really sorry if this doesn't go here.
Also, I am really sorry if I freaked out over nothing and it was for some reason a page I needed to sign into again for some reason. It just seemed very odd. I tried to upload pics but they wouldn't work I don't know if the links will but here they are.
https://i.imgur.com/NNClAq4.jpg that's the page it sends me to
https://i.imgur.com/PvfR2G2.jpg that's the pm

Bitcoin addresses contain a checksum, so it is very unlikely that mistyping an address will cause you to lose money.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
DarkStar_
Legendary

Activity: 2758
Merit: 3282

View Profile WWW
May 07, 2017, 02:21:18 AM

It's a phishing scam that tries to steal your login details. It does not download anything, so you should be fine if you didn't enter your login details. It has happened to quite a few people before. You mentioned that you reported it, so I'm guessing you used the "Report to Admin" feature by the PM? If you did it some other way, please also report it to an admin.

You can't upload images directly, but you can use imgur links or another image host to show the image like this:
Code:
[img]https://i.imgur.com/NNClAq4.jpg[/img]

taking a break - expect delayed responses
minifrij
Legendary

Activity: 2324
Merit: 1267

In Memory of Zepher

View Profile WWW
May 07, 2017, 02:23:10 AM

This is a pretty common phishing attack going around recently. You can see another example of it here.

I know little about security stuff I guess, I am wondering if any harm could have been done by clicking the link alone or if I am fine?
AFAIK the only harm that can come from these sorts of links is if you enter your password into them. Otherwise you should be fine, however changing your passwords and running a virus scan can never hurt.

Also, just for future reference, you don't really need to make a thread if you report the PM to an admin. The skepticism about the PM is good though, always check the URL and security certificate before signing in.
staxxd (OP)

Activity: 172
Merit: 100

'Bout It.

View Profile
May 07, 2017, 02:50:25 AM

This is a pretty common phishing attack going around recently. You can see another example of it here.

I know little about security stuff I guess, I am wondering if any harm could have been done by clicking the link alone or if I am fine?
AFAIK the only harm that can come from these sorts of links is if you enter your password into them. Otherwise you should be fine, however changing your passwords and running a virus scan can never hurt.

Also, just for future reference, you don't really need to make a thread if you report the PM to an admin. The skepticism about the PM is good though, always check the URL and security certificate before signing in.

Okay thank you! I had heard about phishing before but I guess I never knew what it was or had it happen to me before. Thanks, I was kind of freaking out. Sorry for making a big deal over a common issue! I just didn't know if I messed up by clicking the link but thanks again. I will change my pw and run a scan.

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: